Can MCAT Material be used?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gator9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the DAT!

It was suggested to me that I research Dentistry. I know the DAT is the major standardized test required for admissions to any dental school. However, I have a large amount of material from Kaplan and Exam Krackers MCAT Material (from my brother) and I wanted to know if anyone has ever used that material.

I know there can only be a limited number of ways to test basic science facts but the level of knowledge required could be more in-depth than the mcat. I've heard from all the posts that the Kaplan Blue Book (can buy that at any bookstore right?) and TopScore, Destroyer and Achiever are all good to use, but I was hoping I could also use some of this stuff also. If anyone could respond that'd be great thanks.

Gator9

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm new to the DAT, I was studying for the MCAT but just decided that medicine was not going in the direction I thought it would (overly regulated by insurance companies).

It was suggested to me that I research Dentistry. I know the DAT is the major standardized test required for admissions to any dental school. However, I have a large amount of material from Kaplan and Exam Krackers MCAT Material (from my brother) and I wanted to know if anyone has ever used that material.

I know there can only be a limited number of ways to test basic science facts but the level of knowledge required could be more in-depth than the mcat. I've heard from all the posts that the Kaplan Blue Book (can buy that at any bookstore right?) and TopScore, Destroyer and Achiever are all good to use, but I was hoping I could also use some of this stuff also. If anyone could respond that'd be great thanks.

Gator9

You can def. use your MCAT Kaplan, but you also may be over-studying. I looked at my friend's MCAT book when he was studying to enter medical school last year, and it is more in depth than the DAT one.

You can def. use your MCAT Kaplan, but you also may be over-studying. I looked at my friend's MCAT book when he was studying to enter medical school last year, and it is more in depth than the DAT one.

Also some of the mcat study guides have the problems in the paragraph form that the mcat presents them in.

If you are already done studying for the MCAT using your Kaplan, then just take some practice DATs and see where you stand. If not, buying the Kaplan Blue Book ($50) would be a good investment.

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely can use MCAT as your guide to study DAT. However, keep in mind that DAT has PAT and Math sections where you need other resources to take care of them.

Math: Do more practices!!!

PAT: You can use Kaplan Blue Book for your guide to learn basic skills to visualize.

Good luck!! ;)

I found examkrackers MCAT Gchem and Verbal very helpful, especially the Gchem, its a great book if you don't understand Gchem that well.

Are u kidding?
Pliz don't don't don't use MCAT stuffs to study for the bio section. MCAT stuffs suck. They deal only with "human biology." The DAT biology has a lot more junks than "human bio" stuffs (trees, zoology, etc...).
If you use MCAT materials to study for bio section, i bet you won't get more than a 17 on the bio section of the DAT.

-----------Rev Balls--------soon to be DS1.......hahaha a high roller kid

You can learn just fine using MCAT materials. However, as the previous poster mentioned, there are certain crucial topics (particularly in Bio) that are tested on the DAT but not covered in MCAT books. So you absolutely need some sort of additional study guide to go over these topics as they could possibly make up a large portion of the Biology section of your DAT.