Can an Other Than Honorable discharge affect admissions into medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryingtoreset

Reaction score
As the question suggests, I believe I have an Other Than Honorable discharge under AWOL although I havent recieved any papers yet.

To keep this short, I incurred a large amount of debt towards the end of my first enlistment with the Guard. Fast forward into the start of my second enlistment at a new unit, I had to file for bankruptcy because I financially couldn't stay afloat. I tried to work something out with them from transferring or hardshipping out, but nothing happened and they stopped contacting me.

I had set my sights on getting myself into medschool and now I'm really worried about not only the bankruptcy but my discharge status affecting my chances at getting admitted.

Does anyone have any insight or advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
As the question suggests, I believe I have an Other Than Honorable discharge under AWOL although I havent recieved any papers yet.

To keep this short, I incurred a large amount of debt towards the end of my first enlistment with the Guard. Fast forward into the start of my second enlistment at a new unit, I had to file for bankruptcy because I financially couldn't stay afloat. I tried to work something out with them from transferring or hardshipping out, but nothing happened and they stopped contacting me.

I had set my sights on getting myself into medschool and now I'm really worried about not only the bankruptcy but my discharge status affecting my chances at getting admitted.

Looking on my AMCAS application there is a section asking about the nature of discharge and asking for an explanation for an Other than honorable discharge. I don't know how this would affect you but I can't say it would be positive especially in the way you explain it. I don't understand why or how you can just abandon your unit, but I was active duty, so the Guard is foreign to me. I also don't understand why debt is an excuse or reason to not fulfill your obligation. Why did you sign up for a second enlistment knowing your precarious financial situation (which for some reason precludes you fulfilling your duties...)? I doubt an OTOH discharge on its face is enough to completely exclude medical school. People get in with DUIs and other misdemeanors (I'm guessing this is equivalent), but your explanation is extremely problematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't see this hurting you

Really? A dishonorable discharge is the equivalent of a felony conviction. OP doesn't have that, but a OTOH is not a good characterization of service.

Basically to summarize for civilians, levels of characterization of service are generally as follows:

Honorable (no issues, all benefits available)
General, under honorable conditions (still some benefits, but not all)
General, other than honorable conditions (very limited benefits)
Bad conduct
Dishonorable
Uncharacterized (usually given when they discharge someone in basic training due to injury or just not adjusting to military life)

Trying to utilize my knowledge base here, and to remain judgement free, we need more information. Why exactly did you incur a large amount of debt? If said debt was going to get you kicked out of the military (here is where my judgement begins to creep in), why did you reenlist in the first place instead of just honorably discharging? Why would they have allowed you to reenlist just to then immediately kick you out? Filing for bankruptcy while active duty isn't against any rules. Even in a job like mine where a security clearance mattered, we would have just sent you to a non-security clearance job. Even more so, why wouldn't then just give you a general discharge and not mark you as AWOL which has nothing to do with your financial status? More information is necessary.

Moving aside from those issues, do you already have a degree? Have you dealt with said debt? If not, have you investigated how you are going to pay for school while you already have a large amount of debt? I do not believe you will get the GI bill with an OTH discharge, but it may depend on circumstance. Similarly, have you looked at your eligibility for loans? If your debt was big enough to get you kicked out of the military, how are you going to handle more debt? School isn't cheap.

Last edited:
Contact your state IG if your unit won't work with you for a hardship discharge. If you have legit reasons with some jerk NCO blocking you, IG will resolve. If you're making up excuses (tbh what it sounds like to me) you'll be in the same place you are now.

Serve out your obligation dude. Debt doesn't preclude you from showing up a few days a month.

Not an expert, but I was a nasty girl:

So ethics are very important and honesty is imperative, however I also believe in not incriminating yourself according to the Constitution (Yes I know that's not directly comparable to here). You don't have to to disclose military status if you don't want to (imo). I think that's a very personal decision and I know a lot of people don't really tell anyone about it just for personal reasons. It's one of the last things people generally will ever learn about me.

Others may disagree with me I may be wrong, but if you were had a bad job and got fired it's not like you're forced to put that job on your application. I view the military in the same way, so you sort of need to balance the OTOH versus whatever other benefits you may have of adding military to your application.

EDIT: Amcas agrees:
1681204046288.png

Last edited:
General, other than honorable conditions (very limited benefits)
Bad conduct
Dishonorable
Uncharacterized (usually given when they discharge someone in basic training due to injury or just not adjusting to military life)

The uncharacterized hits nasty girls especially hard since they can have up to 2 years of service before completing AIT.

Ask me how I know >...>

You should add EPTS to that list as well.

Last edited:
Trying to utilize my knowledge base here, and to remain judgement free, we need more information. Why exactly did you incur a large amount of debt? If said debt was going to get you kicked out of the military (here is where my judgement begins to creep in), why did you reenlist in the first place instead of just honorably discharging? Why would they have allowed you to reenlist just to then immediately kick you out? Filing for bankruptcy while active duty isn't against any rules. Even in a job like mine where a security clearance mattered, we would have just sent you to a non-security clearance job. Even more so, why wouldn't then just give you a general discharge and not mark you as AWOL which has nothing to do with your financial status? More information is necessary.

Moving aside from those issues, do you already have a degree? Have you dealt with said debt? If not, have you investigated how you are going to pay for school while you already have a large amount of debt? I do not believe you will get the GI bill with an OTH discharge, but it may depend on circumstance. Similarly, have you looked at your eligibility for loans? If your debt was big enough to get you kicked out of the military, how are you going to handle more debt? School isn't cheap.
The debt is from my moms home renovation during covid. She lived in a decent neighborhood where housing cost had gone up, but the home hadn't been upkept. She was sick and not working. I had been helping to support her, but we both knew that it wasn't something that would work long term. A decision was made to put some work into the house and sell it. We decided to do some simple updates, but it turned into a money pit. It needed way more work than originally planned. For every problem fixed, two more popped up and ended up having structural issues that I couldn't afford to fix. I had to pull the cord on it and start paying back everything. The house sold months later and nowhere close to what we were hoping. There was too much that still needed to be done and the issues were going to cost the next owner. We had to settle for less to get out from under it.

I didnt recieve much from the sale after my mother was taken care of. It quickly got out of control with high interest rates and huge balances.
I started working two jobs to try and catch up but couldn't make a dent in it. I fell behind on payments. Tried working with a debt settlement group, but I ended up being sued and had my wages garnished during the interim. I couldn't keep up with everything and was worried about losing my own house and car. That was when I decided to file for bankruptcy. That was only about 5 months into my new enlistment.

As for why I reenlisted, they offered a nice lump sum bonus of 25k with a payout at the beginning of the enlistment. I kept hearing that rention rates were at an all time low and that they were putting out crazy bonuses to keep people in. I saw a chance to pay off a decent amount of debt. I had no plans to reenlist before this. I wanted to get out and focus solely on school, but I was willing to serve out another enlistment if it meant getting back on my feet financially. Turns out I didn't qualify for the bonus money because I had not passed my height and weight. It was tacked on to a diag acft which I passed, but I was off by 4lbs so they flagged me. They didn't let me know until after the cutoff date for the bonus and after they had filed my paper to let me know I would not be receiving it. Otherwise, I would have just let my first enlistment end.

I'm not sure what I'm categorized under as of now. I've had no contact or any information sent to me in months. As I mentioned, I brought the problem to them and tried to see if I had other options. A lateral transfer, hardship, or even just voluntary separation. I would've taken a general, but nothing happened. I even asked if they could keep me on the books without paying me and excusing my drills. They sent me to family assistance twice which I had already dealt with to see if I had options outside of the military that could help. At this point, I had already settled my bankruptcy and was making payments. Money was and still is very tight. I had to drive 3 hours back and forth to my unit and it costs more than half of my drill pay to fill up with gas. I let them know I lose money coming to drill compared to what I would make working my civilian job. They said they'd figure something out and get back to me. I let it be and focused on work and getting my life back to a semi normal and wait for the bankruptcy to be finalized. I hadn't heard anything until a friend from the unit contacted me and mentioned a discharge.

I don't have a degree. It would be square one for me. All of the debt should be taken care of by the time I'd be out of school and ready to apply. I should be able to build my credit back up as well. As for more debt, what I can say is, I'm going back to school no matter what. I'll be accruing more debt whether I go into the medical field or elsewhere. That being said, after being in the position I was in, I absolutely understand the weight of medical student loans. It would be a hell of a lot more than another degree, but I'm learning from my mistakes and I would plan to get ahead of the debt as soon as I am able to. Hitting that low made me seriously reflect and figure out what my plan is from here on out.

I'm not contesting my discharge. It's something I'll always regret and I accept that I made a series of poor decisions. I still think about things I could've done differently. Contrary to what you may think, I served out my first enlistment without issue. I was proud of what I had been able to accomplish. Several overseas training missions, a deployment, a handful of state activations and a few awards to go with them. Its more than I ever thought I would experience with the Guard.

• Care
The debt is from my moms home renovation during covid. She lived in a decent neighborhood where housing cost had gone up, but the home hadn't been upkept. She was sick and not working. I had been helping to support her, but we both knew that it wasn't something that would work long term. A decision was made to put some work into the house and sell it. We decided to do some simple updates, but it turned into a money pit. It needed way more work than originally planned. For every problem fixed, two more popped up and ended up having structural issues that I couldn't afford to fix. I had to pull the cord on it and start paying back everything. The house sold months later and nowhere close to what we were hoping. There was too much that still needed to be done and the issues were going to cost the next owner. We had to settle for less to get out from under it.

I didnt recieve much from the sale after my mother was taken care of. It quickly got out of control with high interest rates and huge balances.
I started working two jobs to try and catch up but couldn't make a dent in it. I fell behind on payments. Tried working with a debt settlement group, but I ended up being sued and had my wages garnished during the interim. I couldn't keep up with everything and was worried about losing my own house and car. That was when I decided to file for bankruptcy. That was only about 5 months into my new enlistment.

As for why I reenlisted, they offered a nice lump sum bonus of 25k with a payout at the beginning of the enlistment. I kept hearing that rention rates were at an all time low and that they were putting out crazy bonuses to keep people in. I saw a chance to pay off a decent amount of debt. I had no plans to reenlist before this. I wanted to get out and focus solely on school, but I was willing to serve out another enlistment if it meant getting back on my feet financially. Turns out I didn't qualify for the bonus money because I had not passed my height and weight. It was tacked on to a diag acft which I passed, but I was off by 4lbs so they flagged me. They didn't let me know until after the cutoff date for the bonus and after they had filed my paper to let me know I would not be receiving it. Otherwise, I would have just let my first enlistment end.

I'm not sure what I'm categorized under as of now. I've had no contact or any information sent to me in months. As I mentioned, I brought the problem to them and tried to see if I had other options. A lateral transfer, hardship, or even just voluntary separation. I would've taken a general, but nothing happened. I even asked if they could keep me on the books without paying me and excusing my drills. They sent me to family assistance twice which I had already dealt with to see if I had options outside of the military that could help. At this point, I had already settled my bankruptcy and was making payments. Money was and still is very tight. I had to drive 3 hours back and forth to my unit and it costs more than half of my drill pay to fill up with gas. I let them know I lose money coming to drill compared to what I would make working my civilian job. They said they'd figure something out and get back to me. I let it be and focused on work and getting my life back to a semi normal and wait for the bankruptcy to be finalized. I hadn't heard anything until a friend from the unit contacted me and mentioned a discharge.

I don't have a degree. It would be square one for me. All of the debt should be taken care of by the time I'd be out of school and ready to apply. I should be able to build my credit back up as well. As for more debt, what I can say is, I'm going back to school no matter what. I'll be accruing more debt whether I go into the medical field or elsewhere. That being said, after being in the position I was in, I absolutely understand the weight of medical student loans. It would be a hell of a lot more than another degree, but I'm learning from my mistakes and I would plan to get ahead of the debt as soon as I am able to. Hitting that low made me seriously reflect and figure out what my plan is from here on out.

I'm not contesting my discharge. It's something I'll always regret and I accept that I made a series of poor decisions. I still think about things I could've done differently. Contrary to what you may think, I served out my first enlistment without issue. I was proud of what I had been able to accomplish. Several overseas training missions, a deployment, a handful of state activations and a few awards to go with them. Its more than I ever thought I would experience with the Guard.

Thank you for the longer explanation. I'm not sure how individual ADCOM's will react as it's probably not something that they encounter very often. It's not a positive, but I think the prior service with good conduct will support it being seen more sympathetically. It's a blemish, but shouldn't keep you from admission (assuming the rest of the application is competitive). You also may to able to appeal to get characterization of service upgraded after discharge, but I don't know how likely you are to be successful. After everything plays out, I recommend you seek out veteran service organizations and they can answer questions about the process for that or if you're eligible to do that. Also given that you do have prior honorable period of service (not sure of the length given it was guard time but a deployment should be over 90 days) you should have some GI bill availability from that.

Contact your IG, lazy NCOs screwing you over multiple times ain't the way. Sorry to hear about the hardship with your mom, sounds like you're a good dude in a tough place.

I will tell you upfront, you will not be able to get private loans for medical school with a bankruptcy in the past 5-7 years so you've got a while to wait regardless of how this plays out. I think that may even extend to federal loans but I'm not sure on that.

Not an expert, but I was a nasty girl:

So ethics are very important and honesty is imperative, however I also believe in not incriminating yourself according to the Constitution (Yes I know that's not directly comparable to here). You don't have to to disclose military status if you don't want to (imo). I think that's a very personal decision and I know a lot of people don't really tell anyone about it just for personal reasons. It's one of the last things people generally will ever learn about me.

Others may disagree with me I may be wrong, but if you were had a bad job and got fired it's not like you're forced to put that job on your application. I view the military in the same way, so you sort of need to balance the OTOH versus whatever other benefits you may have of adding military to your application.

EDIT: Amcas agrees:
View attachment 369203

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think this has a lot of risk. If the service member in question had training from the military, that has to be listed and the JST has to be sent. It's going to look really weird when the service member has classes listed and transcripts sent, and then declines to answer the military part. Also, i'm fairly positive it will raise questions on a background check, but I might be wrong there. I'm not sure that doing this will look better than just being honest and upfront about it, rather than hoping it doesn't get found and awkwardly answering questions later.

I am sorry to hear about the situation with your mother. I think it speaks a lot to your character to put yourself in such a situation to help someone else. I think explaining this situation may help if/when it comes up.

There are a few other things I want to point out, but please don't take it offensively. The deed is done, the only thing you can do now is learn and move forward. For one, you said "I didn't qualify for the bonus money because I had not passed my height and weight. It was tacked on to a diag acft which I passed, but I was off by 4lbs so they flagged me". It's been too long, I can't remember if you have to sign something saying you understand the requirements for reenlisting/getting a bonus, etc. However, it's certainly something your leaders should have told you. I fully acknowledge that the military is full of ****ty leaders and you were failed here, but you must be proactive when it comes to your own career. Height/weight standards haven't changed, being 4 pounds off is close enough that you could have been within standards. This is also on you to make sure there's no reason you don't qualify for something. When I reenlisted the first time for ~90k, you can be damn sure I made sure to know every i that needed to be dotted and t that needed to be crossed.

You also said "I let them know I lose money coming to drill compared to what I would make working my civilian job. They said they'd figure something out and get back to me. I let it be and focused on work and getting my life back to a semi normal and wait for the bankruptcy to be finalized." I don't know if i'm interpreting this correctly, does this mean you just stopped showing up to drill? If so, this one is hard to file away as an explanation. As a second term member of the military, you know this isn't how the military works. You can't just be like "hey, this isn't working for me anymore, cya" and expect things will be okay. Again, you were failed by ****ty leaders here. They should have made it very obvious that you still have to show up like the terms of your enlistment require until told otherwise by your command. However, just leaving and hoping everything works itself out was not a smart choice. This is where the AWOL you talked about earlier likely comes into play. I was active duty, not reserves, so I don't know the specific differences here, but if someone went AWOL when active duty, it is a huge deal.

All this to say- there are decisions you made in this process, albeit you had a lot of other stuff going on in your personal life which I fully understand and empathize with, but you were either willfully ignorant of the consequences of your decisions or you didn't care. It doesn't really matter which one, as I said earlier, the deed is done. You MUST learn from this. Moving forward, do not be willfully ignorant of consequences. Ensure that you know all the requirements expected of you so that you can do them. ****ty leadership is plentiful both in military and in the real world, do not let yourself be found in a bad situation because you fully trusted other people to do the right thing by you. I know this isn't a super sunny and positive outlook to have in life, but it will prevent scenarios like the one you find yourself in right now.

I fully agree with the other commenters that said contact IG. While you made mistakes, the people over you who's responsibility it is to make sure you know what you need to do did not do right by you.

My PM's are always open if you need further advice.

Last edited:
So referring to the AWOL situation, I don't believe you are technically AWOL as you are not on federal orders. Each drill you miss, you will receive an UNSAT for. After a certain amount of UNSATs, you can no longer have a "good year" for retirement and benefits purposes.

After a certain amount of time in this status, they will begin separation papers, usually characterized as general. You'd really only get OTH if you were a problem soldier tbh based on my anecdotal evidence.

Your best possible option is to request a move to IRR for the time being which will bring some of your 2 IRR years forward and essentially have you finish the contract up to the end date. You can also request a hardship discharge. Regardless of the choice you make, you need to go above your immediately squad lead because they seem to be useless. Show up to your next drill, request to speak to your command team, explain what's going on and request IRR/hardship discharge. If you don't hear movement within 1-2 drills, talk to IG; there's a time limit that units have to file paperwork like this.

The only person that will ever care about your career, is you. Start caring a lot more dude.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think this has a lot of risk. If the service member in question had training from the military, that has to be listed and the JST has to be sent. It's going to look really weird when the service member has classes listed and transcripts sent, and then declines to answer the military part. Also, i'm fairly positive it will raise questions on a background check, but I might be wrong there. I'm not sure that doing this will look better than just being honest and upfront about it, rather than hoping it doesn't get found and awkwardly answering questions later.

I see what you are getting at and as well don't necessarily disagree and it's certainly a viable option. If someone has credits then I think that's much more of situation where what you said applies.

Military records are not public generally and shouldn't come up checks often, but let's assume one does. From the opposite end, let's say you a seal team 6 honorable discharge, you may want to keep that private or not bring it up or use it as an advantage. My friend was a cop and never showed their badge once for a discount (their personal choice).

To me it would still be a matter of saying "I don't want to talk about my military service" and the only way the school is going to know anything is from a dd214.

What I'm saying here again isn't to conceal or hide as that is dishonest, but making a personal choice about what information and what parts of your life you share is just that.

Obviously things related to criminal records there is a whole legal matter around and everything in that is public anyways.

I think that's why AMCAS gives the option for "decline to answer" under military status, so I would hope that is a good enough of a signal that people would respect not asking about it.

I see what you are getting at and as well don't necessarily disagree and it's certainly a viable option. If someone has credits then I think that's much more of situation where what you said applies.

Military records are not public generally and shouldn't come up checks often, but let's assume one does. From the opposite end, let's say you a seal team 6 honorable discharge, you may want to keep that private or not bring it up or use it as an advantage. My friend was a cop and never showed their badge once for a discount (their personal choice).

To me it would still be a matter of saying "I don't want to talk about my military service" and the only way the school is going to know anything is from a dd214.

What I'm saying here again isn't to conceal or hide as that is dishonest, but making a personal choice about what information and what parts of your life you share is just that.

Obviously things related to criminal records there is a whole legal matter around and everything in that is public anyways.

I think that's why AMCAS gives the option for "decline to answer" under military status, so I would hope that is a good enough of a signal that people would respect not asking about it.
I mean I understand what you are saying, I just don't see how it's possible for someone to not have credits. I just checked mine, even boot camp is on there with suggested semester hours and according to the AMCAS Applicant Guide, that has to be reported and transcript sent (the example they use in the applicant guide is literally boot camp). So I'm not really sure what scenario could exist where someone prior military could hide it, with the exception of those kicked out mid-boot camp.

I mean I understand what you are saying, I just don't see how it's possible for someone to not have credits. I just checked mine, even boot camp is on there with suggested semester hours and according to the AMCAS Applicant Guide, that has to be reported and transcript sent (the example they use in the applicant guide is literally boot camp). So I'm not really sure what scenario could exist where someone prior military could hide it, with the exception of those kicked out mid-boot camp.

This is certainly a gap in my knowledge and I may revise my statements after some research to confirm. Thank you.

This is certainly a gap in my knowledge and I may revise my statements after some research to confirm. Thank you.
Let me know if you find something contrary to how i'm reading it, I would desperately love not to have to take the 4 gap years it's going to take to enter the 180 (!!!) credits I just read on my JST.

• Care
Let me know if you find something contrary to how i'm interpreting it, I would desperately love not to have to take the 4 gap years it's going to take to enter the 180 (!!!) credits I just read on my JST.

I mean it would make sense to me it should be optional, given that they give you the option to decline to answer your service affiliation. It makes no sense to do that but then demand service records.

It seems quite different from taking a graded class at an accredited higher education institution which obviously is mandatory must be reported.

Again. You may have personal things on your JST (idk) that indicate big accomplishments you may have done like ranger school / BUDS / etc that should be private.

I have no idea since JST I am very ignorant on, will add it to my list but this seems like a rabbit hole too big for tonight.

Officers don't receive credits from basic military school training AFAIK (at least Army officers don't) like the enlisted do. I had a couple of MPH credits but that was specific to my AOC school not for the the basic officer course. The MPH credits were actually through a real higher institution of learning at Texas A&M as well, not through the military school.

Officers don't receive credits from basic military school training AFAIK (at least Army officers don't) like the enlisted do. I had a couple of MPH credits but that was specific to my AOC school not for the the basic officer course. The MPH credits were actually through a real higher institution of learning at Texas A&M as well, not through the military school.
That is interesting, I will admit that officer training/JST things are outside my knowledge base.