Can most interviews be scheduled on weekends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanook

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took a job for this year in which I can only get every other weekend off. My question, then, is: How much will this interfere with interviews? Are most schools willing to work with you, and to let you interview on Saturday (the only day I can really do it without taking a vacation day)?

If anyone has previously interviewed, input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about other school but I know that KCOM only interviews on week days. I think UHS also does most if not all of their interviewing on weekdays.

Good Luck

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Nanook,

I do not know of any schools besides PCSOM that interviews on the weekends. Here ALL interviews are given on the weekends. I have no idea why that is though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whew... this isn't looking good.

How do people who work full time fly around for all those interviews?

As you can see, I will be flying all the way from Fairbanks, Alaska. It usually takes a full day of flying, each way, to visit the lower 48. So for a weekday, that means at least 3 days off from work!

You may be able to schedule some of your interview days on a Friday or Saturday to help decrease the amount of time you have to take off from work. I wouldn't bring this issue up with any of the schools until you are offered an interview and then deal with the issue then. Not to be dishonest but I wouldn't want to let the school think that medical school wasn't a top priority.

The earlier you are in the interview season it should be easier to schedule interivews. I know of at least on person who worked with UHS and KCOM and scheduled both of their interviews at those to school on days next to each other so they would only have to fly to Kansas City once. Maybe you can work out something similar after you start getting interview offers. Hopefully the school will work with you since you are coming from so far away.

Good luck and start saving up your vacation or trade time with other coworkers.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Well, it'll be less of an issue now, because I just QUIT MY JOB! That's right, I just up and quit! No med school interview compatibility, no work from me. Ha!

My new job is a 9-5'er. If I need time off, I'll just take a day without pay. And ALL weekends are off!

Phhtt! :p (That's to all my current and former bosses)

And thanks for the replies! They helped me come to this important decision.

I know that UNECOM interviews on Saturdays of every other week. Good luck.