Can Navy docs do EFMB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DredPiratRobrts

Access Denied.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think its open to all 3 branches, can someone confirm?

Also, when is it typically done? Does anyone here have it?

Members don't see this ad.

I think its open to all 3 branches, can someone confirm?

Also, when is it typically done? Does anyone here have it?

From your question I'm guessing you're not familiar with EFMP!

If your question is "can navy docs complete EFMP paperwork?"

YES

If your question is "can navy docs have EFMP for their spouse or children?"

YES

From your question I'm guessing you're not familiar with EFMP!

If your question is "can navy docs complete EFMP paperwork?"

YES

If your question is "can navy docs have EFMP for their spouse or children?"

YES

EFMB: expert field medical badge
EFMP: exceptional family member program

OP asked about EFMB. You can do the course, but you can't wear the badge.

Members don't see this ad :)
EFMB: expert field medical badge
EFMP: exceptional family member program

OP asked about EFMB. You can do the course, but you can't wear the badge.

Thanks! I thought I heard a story about a sailor or two completing the course every year or so. Can't wear the badge, huh? Oh well, I guess just knowing I completed it would be good enough for me. I'm interested in EM, trauma, perhaps going Green after I finish medical school. It would be great to do the EFMB course.

Would earning your dolphins/swords be equivalent in the Navy?

I thought dolphins were just the submarine officer badge. I know that there is a submarine medical officers badge, is this what UMOs wear or do they wear the diving medical officer badge with the seahorses and diving bell on it?

Someone who knows can please correct any of this if it is off...

Diving (Medical) Officer Insignia= Completion of UMO training
Flight Surgeon Insignia = Completion of FS training
Submarine Warfare (Medical) Officer Insignia = Doctor who qualifies in submarine warfare while aboard a sub.
Surface Warfare (Medical) Officer Insignia = Doctor who qualifies in surface warfare while aboard ship.

It's my understanding that the Warfare qualifications are abridged versions of the line warfare qualifications and you undertake the process (learning about all the different departments of the ship, taking watches, etc...) on your own time while aboard. From what I found it seems like it takes about a year to earn them and that they are a mark of some distinction and respected as such.

Anyone know where I can go to qualify for the expert pistol/rifle medals? I think I'm a good enough shot at this point to do it.

For the FMF pin, the estimated time to completion is listed as 18mo. The hardest part is going to be the pullups.

You have no idea how helpful a $20 doorway pullup bar is! I mounted one in my apt and do pullups every time I walk under it. After a short time, they get a lot easier.

You have no idea how helpful a $20 doorway pullup bar is! I mounted one in my apt and do pullups every time I walk under it. After a short time, they get a lot easier.
Couldn't agree more, though I went with a dip/chin-up combo station that is free standing--my walls wouldn't hold up to a mounted chin up bar--for $100. Well worth the investment.

I have it in a hallway that I frequently walk through. I think of it as a toll road.

yeah go for it. the thing is ran by a bunch of REMF badge protecting MSCs.

I've seen the whole thing degenerate into a Jerry Springer free for all at the finish line.

Screw the badge, besides, the way things are going, you'll get a Combat Medical Badge from the army (yeah, combined service is coming) and you won't have to do a freaken thing to get that one except open your mailbox and pull out the orders.

Ive had my EFMB for 8 years and been a EFMB grader(cadre) more times than I remember. EFMB is done at least 2wice a year on Army posts. I just came from Fort Bragg and EFMB was done 4 times a year. I have had navy and AF come through my lane. I am pretty sure you can were it if awarded. You would have to check the Navy regulation on wear and appearance though. HOOAH!

Ive had my EFMB for 8 years and been a EFMB grader(cadre) more times than I remember. EFMB is done at least 2wice a year on Army posts. I just came from Fort Bragg and EFMB was done 4 times a year. I have had navy and AF come through my lane. I am pretty sure you can were it if awarded. You would have to check the Navy regulation on wear and appearance though. HOOAH!

The grading is too subjective. I have known excellent medics who did not pass, and 0-6's who did not know crap who got it because the E-4 grader was scared to bolo them.

Can't wear it. Don't have time to find the reference but I'm nearly certain.

The grading is too subjective. I have known excellent medics who did not pass, and 0-6's who did not know crap who got it because the E-4 grader was scared to bolo them.

Theres the right way and the EFMB way... As a matter of fact, I was a E-4 the first time I was Cadre on the EMT lane. I have a LTC come down my lane...Fortunately for him he did everything right, I dont believe he got one no-go...

Theres the right way and the EFMB way... As a matter of fact, I was a E-4 the first time I was Cadre on the EMT lane. I have a LTC come down my lane...Fortunately for him he did everything right, I dont believe he got one no-go...

The full bird I was talking about was a grandma and could not even perform one of the carries for a friggin inch. She was not doing it the right way, the EFMB way or ANY way, and she now wears the badge. When I see someone with it on, I think "all that means is that on that particular day, all of the planets aligned (the grader was a friend of yours, you had rank, they didn't see you screw up, whatever) and you got the badge." Nothing more.

In case you are wondering, it was 44th MED (Ft. Bragg) summer, 2003. I boloed on the EMT lane for not tying my knots for the splint on the same side.

The full bird I was talking about was a grandma and could not even perform one of the carries for a friggin inch. She was not doing it the right way, the EFMB way or ANY way, and she now wears the badge. When I see someone with it on, I think "all that means is that on that particular day, all of the planets aligned (the grader was a friend of yours, you had rank, they didn't see you screw up, whatever) and you got the badge." Nothing more.

In case you are wondering, it was 44th MED (Ft. Bragg) summer, 2003. I boloed on the EMT lane for not tying my knots for the splint on the same side.

I had a friend fail because she wiped the alcohol swab in a line vs a circle prior to starting an IV.