Navy HPSP - Dropping out of school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tjdwlgns612

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Anyone here have any experience in the Navy specifically with dropping out of medical school?

Long story short, on the verge of failing out and want to see what other people's experiences were. I come from an engineering background and was actually in the process of applying to OCS for the Navy, but went to medical school instead - so ideally I would love to transfer to another Navy officer job if possible instead of having to pay back the loans.
I've read from previous Army HPSP recipients' posts that lateral transfers are possible and have been done, but I haven't read much on Navy HPSP specifically...

Thank you.
 
Hello,

Anyone here have any experience in the Navy specifically with dropping out of medical school?

Long story short, on the verge of failing out and want to see what other people's experiences were. I come from an engineering background and was actually in the process of applying to OCS for the Navy, but went to medical school instead - so ideally I would love to transfer to another Navy officer job if possible instead of having to pay back the loans.
I've read from previous Army HPSP recipients' posts that lateral transfers are possible and have been done, but I haven't read much on Navy HPSP specifically...

Thank you.

What year in medical school are you? So technically, you are not yet in the MC, you're actually in a quasi-reserve status. If you talk to the detailers at PERS, they can possibly rewrite you orders to OCS, fairly easily, even without a lateral designation board. Possibly, you have to ask.

With recruiting be as bad as it is, if you're willing to be a SWO, they'll send you to OCS next week.