Can One With M.D Open A Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Th3Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Out of curiosity can one who has their M.D have the right to open their own pharmacy if they have the money for it? Thanks for your time and response. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

You can own a retail pharmacy, but would have to hire a pharmacist to run the prescription-medication dispensing aspect of it (at least in my state this is required). You can dispense free medication (like pharma samples) from your office practice legally, providing you keep a log of lot numbers, patient name, amount given, and document relevant patient education in the chart. A problem with owning a pharmacy is that there would be a conflict of interest if you refer your office patients there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info everyone. Just one more thing I'm wondering, lets say i get my M.D and want to get my pharmyD as well.. do I have to go through the whole 6 year course for it? I'm guessing so since from my research it shows that M.D is completely different.

:hardy:

Thanks for the info everyone. Just one more thing I'm wondering, lets say i get my M.D and want to get my pharmyD as well.. do I have to go through the whole 6 year course for it? I'm guessing so since from my research it shows that M.D is completely different.

:hardy:

They are totally separate and unrelated careers. There are some combined degree programs perhaps, but otherwise you need to do the whole program for each. but a better question is, why would you do this? If your goal is to open and run a pharmacy, why would you need an MD? And if your goal is to be a physician, you can always hire a pharmacist.

I'm not sure I've even heard of any MD/PharmD programs. Not saying there aren't any, but if there are they are rare and I don't really see a decent reason to do this. Maybe if you wanted to do pharm related research, but in that case you would probably be better off doing MD/PhD in pharmacology, if even that.

I think, OP, you just need to figure out what you want to do with your career.

I am not sure why anyone would do an MD/pharmD. In the time it would take you to get your pharmD you could almost be done with a specialty residency. And you don't need a pharmD to own a pharmacy, just to run it.

If you wanted to get the PharmD after finishing off your MD, it would take another 4 years. Unless you go to Pharmacy school with a 0-6 program, the first two years are (for the most part) pre-Pharm classes that are not part of the professional program.

I know of a good amount of people who have gone on to medical school after finishing up their pharmacy degree (either BSPharm or PharmD), and they all make excellent physicians. I don't see why the reverse would not be true.

If you wanted to run your own pharmacy, however, you would be required to be a licensed pharmacist. Anyone can own a pharmacy, but the actual practice must be run by a pharmacist.

i know not the answer to your question so i needn't proffer my advice. alas, i just wanted to say that methinks that your use of "one" in the subject title was elegant and classy. hahhaha. sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
You can own a pharmacy, but you cannot operate the pharmacy. In California, one must be a licensed pharmacist to operate a pharmacy, and that only comes with either a BSPharm or PharmD and passage of either NAPLEX or the older California state board exam. An MD is not eligible to sit for these exams and would have to attend pharmacy school to get a license.

So I guess the answer to your question is no. Why would you want to?