Can PAs own a private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JakeSill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a PA can own a private practice by paying a doctor to sign off of on documents.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
yup. details vary by state. In NC, PA has to meet with doc for 30 min twice yearly. no chart review. some states require doc be on site x hrs/mo, others do not. see aapa.org

The challenges lay in getting small business loans, headaches with insurance reimbursement, prior authorizations, etc... basically the business aspect of owning your own business. Those are true whether you are a PA or an NP. Then you need a physician provider willing to put their liability on the line to endorse you as a supervising physician, and also will possess the proper scope of practice for what you are practicing in. When you get sued, the physician will be the one that they lawyers go after. They won't take on that risk out of the goodness of their heart... it's going to cost you. I'm not privy to any specific numbers, but I can't imagine a physician wanting to entertain that kind of exposure for meager salary. I would expect that the privilege to employ a physician for that role to cost enough so as to make them your most expensive employee.... probably more than the PA is able to pay himself/herself.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were a physician, if I did that (which I can't imagine being comfortable doing) I'd charge significantly. And I certainly wouldn't cut my oversight to 30 min meetings, twice yearly.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were a physician, if I did that (which I can't imagine being comfortable doing) I'd charge significantly. And I certainly wouldn't cut my oversight to 30 min meetings, twice yearly.
Yeah, 100% real time chart access. I'd be spending some time each week reviewing charts at a healthy hourly rate and taking a cut of everything else for my risk. Probably a standing no opiod rule without prior approval from me. My liability/license is too important to me for an hour/year, that's silly

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, 100% real time chart access. I'd be spending some time each week reviewing charts at a healthy hourly rate and taking a cut of everything else for my risk. Probably a standing no opiod rule without prior approval from me. My liability/license is too important to me for an hour/year, that's silly

And with that kind of oversight, you really would be entitled a large portion of the profits. If you don't carry out a lot of oversight, you would want high compensation for the risk. If you do carry out oversight, you would want high compensation for the effort.