Can physicians wear designer clothing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't wear a $1k suit doing patient care.
Probably true. I would highly recommend HF shirts when they go on sale at Saks. 155 down to 50. Good quality too so don’t need to be replaced very often

Members don't see this ad.

Just, for goodness’ sake, don’t go with the trend of wearing a suit that looks too small, with ankle-baring pants and no socks!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If bougie clothes are your thing, own it. Yes, it may be tone-deaf. Yes, you probably will get judged on it. Yes, you could get body fluids on it. Yes, it would seem a little silly to spend lots of money on designer clothes as a presumably poor MS and resident. But if you feel better wearing nice clothes and it adds positivity to your life, just own the downsides. If you're gonna be insecure wearing nice stuff at work, don't do it.

BTW, i love being a slovenly radiologist. My work attire this week:
Day hospital shift: hospital scrubs
Day WFH shift: boxers and an undershirt
Evening call shift at an imaging center: jeans and a t-shirt with company logo.

I wear the nicer stuff when I go out. Less wear and tear.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that these are good compromises! Quality but not too outlandish or anything like some of the brands mentioned above!

Why is having expensive clothing so important to you? They are not a reflection of your worth as a human being.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is having expensive clothing so important to you? They are not a reflection of your worth as a human being.
I just like them. It’s not necessarily about the perception as it’s not like I’m wearing branded clothing. It’s like nice cars or houses for some people

Reactions: 1 user
Just, for goodness’ sake, don’t go with the trend of wearing a suit that looks too small, with ankle-baring pants and no socks!
Haha I actually thought the reverse was true now….oversized suits and clothing in general seem to be in style in certain crowds. For example. I think these look terrible though. Good fitting is very important

No one will know or care. Idk what any of those brands are I doubt your patients will.
Yeah, like, if I were to be informed a colleague was wearing these brands I'd be like "good for you or I'm sorry that happened idk man."

As to OP: having a sense of style that is congruent with who you are is generally a good policy, as it will make you feel comfortable on the job and allow patients to get a feel for you as a person. People tend to appreciate a sense that you are genuine, and if genuine for you is a shirt that costs more than my wardrobe then so be it. And forget that nonsense about what you drive, patients aren't going to generally see you rolling up in it anyways.

Reactions: 4 users