Can physicians wear designer clothing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that some physicians who are affiliated with the school I attend wear suits/blazers rather than coats. I think that I will do this as well as I don’t like scrubs/jackets.

With that being said, is it in poor taste for a physician to wear Brunello Cucinelli, Loro Piana, Kiton? I know that some say physicians should drive a modest car to and from work to avoid alienating patients (or making it seem like they are in it for the money) even if they own a nicer car for non work purposes. Would this also apply to clothing?

Members don't see this ad.

The common masses like myself have a hard time telling what is just nice cloths you got at Target and a suit you paid a few grand for. I think you’d be fine.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 25 users
Yeah depends on your practice setting. There are plenty of Ferraris and lambos in the physician parking lot at my hospital and a lot of the community docs wear high end clothes all the time. I’m in a very wealthy area though so this doesn’t seem so far out. It would probably look weirder in more rural flyover country and patients would think poorly of you

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one will know or care. Idk what any of those brands are I doubt your patients will.

Reactions: 8 users
Coming from someone whose school and parent organization insist on business formal, I would say that it would be fine as long as your fit shows professionalism and respect for the patient, This also may be a situational thing, and depends on the designer clothing you're talking about. If you're working at a clinic geared toward serving the underserved, it may come across as a little tone deaf to show up covered in fancy logos. Simple, well-fitting professional clothes seem to be universally fine though, regardless of designer origin. Maybe I'm being a bit too judgey, but this is just my $0.02 as a lowly medical student.

Reactions: 8 users
You can wear a suit or blazer or whatever to clinic - depending on your practice, that may or may not stand out. Absolutely no one will care (or probably even notice) where you bought your sportcoat. Once you get into the few hundred dollar range in men's fashion, it's going to take a very fashionable eye to tell the difference between one outfit and another than cost 10x as much.

Regardless of your practice, you will probably have to move more than the standard desk jockey, and will definitely have to interact with (many) people whose hygiene may not be up to your standards. Hospitals are dirty places, and cleaning solutions which can stain clothes are everywhere. Please be cognizant before you roll into clinic wearing a $15,000 outfit that you'll be terrified of anything touching.

Also, in current times, residents are generally expected to wear scrubs to the hospital. The "watch rule" applies - don't out-dress your boss, which will include your senior resident.

Just get some Figs or something.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve noticed that some physicians who are affiliated with the school I attend wear suits/blazers rather than coats. I think that I will do this as well as I don’t like scrubs/jackets.

With that being said, is it in poor taste for a physician to wear Brunello Cucinelli, Loro Piana, Kiton? I know that some say physicians should drive a modest car to and from work to avoid alienating patients (or making it seem like they are in it for the money) even if they own a nicer car for non work purposes. Would this also apply to clothing?
I will advise against these fancy brands.

The "watch rule" applies - don't out-dress your boss, which will include your senior resident.
Does this mean that it is a bad idea to show up in a shirt and slacks when everyone else is wearing scrubs?

I will advise against these fancy brands.
What is the point? Most patients will not know the difference. Are you working in an environment where you are interacting with wealthy, privileged patients and you are either OK with getting those expensive clothes dirty or torn OR you’re unlikely to because of the nature of the work you are doing? In that case - and if your bosses and superiors are also wearing designer clothing - have at it. In most cases, scrubs will work just as well and be far kinder on your wallet.

Reactions: 1 user
Does this mean that it is a bad idea to show up in a shirt and slacks when everyone else is wearing scrubs?

It's not a hard and fast rule, but probably depends more on your resident culture. Not uncommon for residents to dress up for their clinics (relaxed button-down and slacks or a skirt and blouse) but also not uncommon for them to just wear scrubs. If you're on inpatient and show up in a tie and white coat when everyone else is wearing scrubs, you might stick out in an awkward way.

It's 2022. Patients expect to see doctors in scrubs. You can wear whatever you want, but I wouldn't expect to impress anyone just because you're dressed more sharply than your 60 year old, and much more knowledgeable, attending wearing baggy hospital scrubs.

I personally sometimes dress nicely when I anticipate that I will not be examining patients but will instead be watching other people's exams. Otherwise, it's scrubs/sneakers and a fleece or quarter zip.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Go for a suit or blazer if you want, but these brands you mentioned are extravagant. Wear them to go out on a memorable evening with your SO. Not to show up to work with.

• Love
What is the point? Most patients will not know the difference. Are you working in an environment where you are interacting with wealthy, privileged patients and you are either OK with getting those expensive clothes dirty or torn OR you’re unlikely to because of the nature of the work you are doing? In that case - and if your bosses and superiors are also wearing designer clothing - have at it. In most cases, scrubs will work just as well and be far kinder on your wallet.
Well, I don't think it's necessarily the patients who would mind. Attendings may notice those fancy brands and feel weird about med students wearing them. I, for one, never wear my fancy clothes or carry fancy bags on campus. People talk and as a med student, you just don't want the unnecessary attention.

One of the few remaining perks in medicine is being able/expected to wear scrubs. Why the heck would one want to spend the extra time and effort putting on a suit when it’s less comfortable, at risk of stains, costs money to dry clean, and does the exact opposite of impress colleagues/patients? To me I don’t see how there is anything to gain from voluntarily wearing a suit, much less an expensive one. It’s a relic of the past.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whether you should wear a suit largely depends on your specialty and the culture of your department/institution.

The brand of the suit doesn’t matter at all. Very few patients would know what “Brunello Cucinelli” is, and even fewer would be able to distinguish a suit made by that company from a suit that was found in the clearance section of Men’s Wearhouse.

Reactions: 1 users
In all of the specialties I’ve shadowed so far, while the risk of being thrown up on is greatly diminished in many, it was never zero and I’d never feel comfortable wearing dry clean only clothes to clinic. Patients who can identify those brands probably own them too and don’t care their doctor is well off. People who might feel uncomfortable with their physicians outfit costing more than 6 months of their rent won’t recognize the brands.

Going to conferences for meetings people dress up, but then it’s a wallet measuring contest between attendings.

Reactions: 6 users

The docs I know who wear high end clothes and drive high end cars are almost invariably dumpy, balding, middle aged guys (or older). I don't judge them for their choices, people are into different things, and on some level it must be nice to enjoy the fruits of their labor in such a way. That said, some of them would be better served by investing in a gym membership.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I'd say not during residency, but do what you want as an attending.

My residency had this unspoken rule that the attendings had their names embroidered on their coats, but residents did not. In the end, that just didn't matter to me. We had IDs hanging off our coat pockets anyway, so I just fell in line. As an attending, I don't remember the last time I wore my white coat. My first sets of scrubs I got were embroidered with my name. My newest ones are not (by my choice) *shrug*.

If dressing nice in upscale brands is your thing, it makes you happy, and it doesn't affect any contact precautions; you do you as an attending.

Last edited:
Yeah depends on your practice setting. There are plenty of Ferraris and lambos in the physician parking lot at my hospital and a lot of the community docs wear high end clothes all the time. I’m in a very wealthy area though so this doesn’t seem so far out. It would probably look weirder in more rural flyover country and patients would think poorly of you
I'll be honest outside of cosmetic fields where your appearance does matter, I kinda judge doctors who really dress up for work. This is doubly so if its a hospital based job.

Not necessarily rational, but every time I've met a doctor who goes to work in a suit they have ended up being somewhere in the jerk/narcissist/<insert other negative trait here> spectrum.

• Okay...
Reactions: 6 users
I would not wear anything too nice because it is likely to get damaged in a hospital. Beyond the obvious fact that various substances from patients could get on your clothes, the hospital itself is also likely to ruin them. If the custodian has just been through or a nurse has just cleaned a countertop, you might accidentally bleach your clothes. Also, hospitals (even nice ones) are generally in at least some state of disrepair, at least in some non-patient-facing areas. I can’t remember the exact circumstances, but my dress shirt got caught on something when I was in residency and a hole got torn in it. Last month, I sat down in an armchair in another psychiatrist’s office and a spring popped out through the cushion and poked a hole in my slacks. I was pissed on both of these occasions but wasn’t ultimately too torn up about it because they’re not super expensive clothes. If you’re dropping serious money on clothes, wearing them in a hospital is a recipe for heartbreak. Trust me.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Basically all of my colleagues wear scrubs. However, there is one attending who chooses to not wear them. He mainly wears dress shirts and khakis to work (business casual basically). I only judge him in that I don't understand why he does that instead of just wearing pajamas (scrubs) to work. heh.

The common masses like myself have a hard time telling what is just nice cloths you got at Target and a suit you paid a few grand for. I think you’d be fine.
I felt this way until I actually saw it in person. Most guys will notice this as friends/colleagues start making money while we're still in school/residency (can't speak to women's fashion, personally). It took me a few weddings in my late-20s to realize that small upgrades can go a long way and that bottom-barrel fashion looks bad in more formal settings.

It's hard to tell the difference between designer pants that cost $200 and some Banana Republic slacks you got on clearance for $35, but at some point you'll have to upgrade from the ill-fitting Target/Old Navy styles your Mom bought you growing up, especially for things like shoes, jackets, button downs, etc...

Obviously fit > style >>> brand, so get a good tailor for your more formal stuff and learn which styles fit you. However, you'll definitely notice the difference between the look of some Allen Edmonds with full grain leather and actual stitches vs. a $60 pair of Clark's with plastic-y leather held together by glue. Same for belts, jackets, and button downs.
The docs I know who wear high end clothes and drive high end cars are almost invariably dumpy, balding, middle aged guys (or older). I don't judge them for their choices, people are into different things, and on some level it must be nice to enjoy the fruits of their labor in such a way. That said, some of them would be better served by investing in a gym membership.
Maybe my above reply should have said fitness = fit > style >>> brand. A lot of people debate over which scrubs brand looks best, but the reality is that really fit people make a potato sack look good. A good body is easily the best accessory if you want to look sharp in scrubs.
I'll be honest outside of cosmetic fields where your appearance does matter, I kinda judge doctors who really dress up for work. This is doubly so if its a hospital based job.

Not necessarily rational, but every time I've met a doctor who goes to work in a suit they have ended up being somewhere in the jerk/narcissist/<insert other negative trait here> spectrum.
These guys are dressing too formal for the occasion and mistaking that for style, and it's not surprising that missing that detail goes right along with social incompetence/behavior issues. I don't think there's any problem with wanting to dress up (it's fun to look nice!), but it has to be appropriate for the occasion.

If you want to up your style, you don't "dress up" by upgrading to some Brunello Cucinelli suit with Italian shoes. That's tone deaf. Keep the same formality but add accessories and improve the fit and quality of the clothing. Get pants that fit. Replace a plain white button down with something with just a bit of flourish. Upgrade from plain oxfords to wingtips or cap toes with high quality leather and Goodyear welted soles, and take care of them. Get socks that bring out accents elsewhere in the outfit. Add a watch (not a Rolex). Iron or at the very least steam your clothes after washing.

All this can be done for extremely cheap too if you're willing to look at the used market and you know what to look for (especially in shoes, there's a lot of bad stuff out there). It's a skill worth learning if you want to look nice without worrying so much about ruining your clothes.

Anyone who would be offended by the expense of your clothes won't be able to tell anyway. If you enjoy dressing this way, it's never inappropriate to dress up. I've discussed this with attendings who eventually gave into business casual after getting fluids on one too many preferred articles of clothing.

Yes, especially if the OB-GYN people are wearing faceshields and shoe covers.

• Haha
The docs I know who wear high end clothes and drive high end cars are almost invariably dumpy, balding, middle aged guys (or older).

The flip side is there aren't many young men clamoring to spend 7-10 years in medical training if they can afford expensive clothes and cars, and are fit, good looking, with a full head of hair. They're just going to end up dumpy, bald, and middle aged too.

Realistically, who would know if a suit is Cucinelli or suit supply? Dressing well never hurts in my experience unless it is flamboyant stuff. I wear full bespoke to work sometimes--Harris tweed sport coat, solid wool trousers, that sort of thing. And Alden #8 shell loafers 24/7.

I felt this way until I actually saw it in person. Most guys will notice this as friends/colleagues start making money while we're still in school/residency (can't speak to women's fashion, personally). It took me a few weddings in my late-20s to realize that small upgrades can go a long way and that bottom-barrel fashion looks bad in more formal settings.

It's hard to tell the difference between designer pants that cost $200 and some Banana Republic slacks you got on clearance for $35, but at some point you'll have to upgrade from the ill-fitting Target/Old Navy styles your Mom bought you growing up, especially for things like shoes, jackets, button downs, etc...

Obviously fit > style >>> brand, so get a good tailor for your more formal stuff and learn which styles fit you. However, you'll definitely notice the difference between the look of some Allen Edmonds with full grain leather and actual stitches vs. a $60 pair of Clark's with plastic-y leather held together by glue. Same for belts, jackets, and button downs.

Maybe my above reply should have said fitness = fit > style >>> brand. A lot of people debate over which scrubs brand looks best, but the reality is that really fit people make a potato sack look good. A good body is easily the best accessory if you want to look sharp in scrubs.

These guys are dressing too formal for the occasion and mistaking that for style, and it's not surprising that missing that detail goes right along with social incompetence/behavior issues. I don't think there's any problem with wanting to dress up (it's fun to look nice!), but it has to be appropriate for the occasion.

If you want to up your style, you don't "dress up" by upgrading to some Brunello Cucinelli suit with Italian shoes. That's tone deaf. Keep the same formality but add accessories and improve the fit and quality of the clothing. Get pants that fit. Replace a plain white button down with something with just a bit of flourish. Upgrade from plain oxfords to wingtips or cap toes with high quality leather and Goodyear welted soles, and take care of them. Get socks that bring out accents elsewhere in the outfit. Add a watch (not a Rolex). Iron or at the very least steam your clothes after washing.

All this can be done for extremely cheap too if you're willing to look at the used market and you know what to look for (especially in shoes, there's a lot of bad stuff out there). It's a skill worth learning if you want to look nice without worrying so much about ruining your clothes.
On very fit people making potato sacks look good: there is some truth to that. However, a guy could be an amateur bodybuilder competing in the physique division, or a dedicated CrossFit guy, or have the body of an Olympic swimmer…and nobody is going to know that when he has his scrubs on. Put Michael Phelps in scrubs, and he looks like just another tall guy who likes to work out.

I’ve never heard of any of these. Not sure the masses have either

Also drive whatever you want. Your colleagues and patients will almost never see you pulling in and out of work. They won’t know what you drive unless you advertise it

i think this is true in some cases but some people just like clothing the same way others might like boats, wine etc.

On very fit people making potato sacks look good: there is some truth to that. However, a guy could be an amateur bodybuilder competing in the physique division, or a dedicated CrossFit guy, or have the body of an Olympic swimmer…and nobody is going to know that when he has his scrubs on. Put Michael Phelps in scrubs, and he looks like just another tall guy who likes to work out.
I actually disagree. Especially as a man, I think scrubs showcase your fitness much more than most other clothing.

In business casual attire, you can pick clothes that fit right and cover any deficiencies. It's even designed this way to basically hide common indicators of poor fitness. In scrubs, with their flappy arm holes and low neck line, it's pretty obvious what someone's fitness level is. All the cues about body fat percentage (veins/tone in the arm, collarbones, etc...) are on display. Skinny arms are obvious. Complete lack of tone is obvious. Overweight/obesity is harder to ignore. When a dude is jacked in scrubs, everyone can tell.

You can do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Just know you will have to accept any perceptions that come along with it, and there will always be someone out there who will judge you for it.

Totally anecdotal, but there are six physicians I have worked with, the two that were the most highly spoken of where always the most understated ones. The two most despised physicians coincidentally were the ones who always dressed very well.

Just know there may be a stigma; maybe you try your best to break the mold, or maybe you conform to it.

You can do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Just know you will have to accept any perceptions that come along with it, and there will always be someone out there who will judge you for it.

Totally anecdotal, but there are six physicians I have worked with, the two that were the most highly spoken of where always the most understated ones. The two most despised physicians coincidentally were the ones who always dressed very well.

Just know there may be a stigma; maybe you try your best to break the mold, or maybe you conform to it.
I find it hard to believe there's truly a stigma against dressing well. Dressing out of place, like wearing a designer suit on the wards, will get some blowback, but that's not dressing well. That's being ostentatious.

Probably the most beloved attending in our program hasn't ditched his business attire for scrubs, and he wears a $5,000 watch and what look to be some pretty expensive shoes. He's such a welcoming and thoughtful person that I never even thought to judge him for these things, and only even recently noticed that the watch was a high end brand. I think his attention to detail in attire only made me see him as someone with his act together.

• Love
I find it hard to believe there's truly a stigma against dressing well. Dressing out of place, like wearing a designer suit on the wards, will get some blowback, but that's not dressing well. That's being ostentatious.

Probably the most beloved attending in our program hasn't ditched his business attire for scrubs, and he wears a $5,000 watch and what look to be some pretty expensive shoes. He's such a welcoming and thoughtful person that I never even thought to judge him for these things, and only even recently noticed that the watch was a high end brand. I think his attention to detail in attire only made me see him as someone with his act together.
If you're saying its a difference between a Jos A Banks shirt and dockers pants compared to whatever the higher end of those same clothes are, you're correct.

It depends on the definition of what dressing well is, and I should've been more targeted in saying that there may be a stigma for men in suits, based on the setting.

As I said, anecdotal evidence. I didn't say it was a fact that doctors who dress well are despised. You have an example of a great physician who wore business attire, I have an example of bad physicians who wore business attire. We should expand our sample size to find the true correlation.

Another little fun point, 62% of patients react favorably and prefer their doctor to wear a white coat, whether in formal attire or in scrubs (based on setting).

Couldn't disagree more, for both genders but especially men. Scrub tops are essentially a thin v-neck. Shows off the arms, pecs, back. The dude with big traps is going to look like he has big traps in scrubs. Etc.

Put Michael Phelps in scrubs and yes, you can't see his abs. If you're training to look like him, it doesn't matter what you're wearing. On the other hand, if you're training to look like Chris Bumstead for example, scrubs will probably make that pretty clear to others.

As an attending for over 28 years, I find this to be one of the most shallow and self-absorbed questions I've read on SDN. A medical student wondering if he can wear a $5000 blazer while seeing patients displays a remarkable disconnect to reality. Probably best to keep these inane thoughts to yourself while you're in medical school.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Really? Half our ortho docs drive 100k teslas.

As an attending for over 28 years, I find this to be one of the most shallow and self-absorbed questions I've read on SDN. A medical student wondering if he can wear a $5000 blazer while seeing patients displays a remarkable disconnect to reality. Probably best to keep these inane thoughts to yourself while you're in medical school.
To be fair, most of these can be purchased on sale for 1500-2000. What’s the difference between buying this and a 4 million dollar house? I know for a fact many doctors have multi million dollar houses.should they all downgrade and donate the proceeds?

Hey OP, please come back and let us know when you get placenta blood and feces sprayed on your $900 dress shirt.

• Haha
To be fair, most of these can be purchased on sale for 1500-2000. What’s the difference between buying this and a 4 million dollar house? I know for a fact many doctors have multi million dollar houses.should they all downgrade and donate the proceeds?
One is not wearing one's house (or car, for that matter) to see patients.

At the end of the day wear whatever you consider professional clothes.

If you have the discretionary funds to spend the median family income on a work wardrobe, chances are you’re not working community primary care. Your co-workers (think support staff and not other attendings), won’t be struggling to get by and judging your display of wealth. You don’t want to be the worst dressed doctor in your clinic, and if everyone else is wearing designer suits, then might as well.

Im currently on an away, literally first time I saw an attending where full suit and tie in the hospital; had another one in clinic too

At the end of the day wear whatever you consider professional clothes.

If you have the discretionary funds to spend the median family income on a work wardrobe, chances are you’re not working community primary care. Your co-workers (think support staff and not other attendings), won’t be struggling to get by and judging your display of wealth. You don’t want to be the worst dressed doctor in your clinic, and if everyone else is wearing designer suits, then might as well.
That depends, how much do you think primary care can earn?

Hint: it's way more than you think.

• Care

I feel attacked *waddles back over to supercar, rubbing sunscreen on the bald spot*

I used to wear Burberry to work but now I'm all about that scrub life. And ironically have the cheapest set of scrubs on the planet (after wearing hospital scrubs since Covid started and finally getting sick of not having any pockets).

That depends, how much do you think primary care can earn?

Hint: it's way more than you think.
I've heard of new grads getting offers upwards of 300k in the area surrounding the city I'm from. Idk if 300k justifies outfits that cost 3k though.

I'm aware that primary care can pay real well, but it has a wide range. I guess I should amend my comment to: OP won't be making that much working FQHCs where there will be patients and employees who think it's rude to spend more on clothes than they do their rent. If OP works with rich co-workers and rich patients, who care how they display their wealth.

I've heard of new grads getting offers upwards of 300k in the area surrounding the city I'm from. Idk if 300k justifies outfits that cost 3k though.

I'm aware that primary care can pay real well, but it has a wide range. I guess I should amend my comment to: OP won't be making that much working FQHCs where there will be patients and employees who think it's rude to spend more on clothes than they do their rent. If OP works with rich co-workers and rich patients, who care how they display their wealth.
Depends on your priorities I suspect.

Umm, hospitals and patients are pretty gross. No way in hell I’d wear a nice suit around them. I’d go for the $20 thrift store jacket over the $2000 Hugo Boss.

• Love

I have heard lots of stories about doctors working in the middle of nowhere getting paid big money to do so...and compensation being lower in big cities where lots of doctors want to live. Even heard a tale about a nephrologist in rural Maine playing hardball with hospital administrators and negotiating his salary up to nearly a million a year. So it's possible that the OP could make lots of money in a very rural location where it would be in poor taste to wear expensive suits that cost more than, say, the snowmobiles that some rural Alaskans use just to get around in the frozen north. That being said...if you are this focused on how you dress, don't be the worst (or best!) dressed person in the place. Aim for being around the 80th percentile or so.

• Love
I believe that these are good compromises! Quality but not too outlandish or anything like some of the brands mentioned above!

I believe that these are good compromises! Quality but not too outlandish or anything like some of the brands mentioned above!

I wouldn't wear a $1k suit doing patient care.

• Love