Can rescheduling med school interview hurt your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nancy Davis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thrilled that I have received my first med school interview letter today. It is at one of my top pick schools, the one where I got my undergraduate degree in biology. The day they have scheduled the interview, I have non refundable tickets to Florida to run in a 5K race the next day. Of course the interview is more important, and the loss of the airfare couldn't compare to getting into med school. As my title line implies, my question is, if I call them to reschedule the interview, will this be a tiny black mark against me before I even get there?
Thanks so much in advance,
Nancy

Members don't see this ad.

Not being on an adcom, and as a MS1 it seems to me that If the school is rolling admission then the earlier you interview the better BUT if the school has one date where they release all their decisions then it probably does not matter.

Nancy Davis said:
I am thrilled that I have received my first med school interview letter today. It is at one of my top pick schools, the one where I got my undergraduate degree in biology. The day they have scheduled the interview, I have non refundable tickets to Florida to run in a 5K race the next day. Of course the interview is more important, and the loss of the airfare couldn't compare to getting into med school. As my title line implies, my question is, if I call them to reschedule the interview, will this be a tiny black mark against me before I even get there?
Thanks so much in advance,
Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Arsenic for moving this to the right place. I look forward to the member's thoughts

Nancy

I actually changed a few of my interview dates for rolling admissions schools. I just said that I was trying to fit the interview into my schedule, thought it would be better if I changed the date, and asked if it could be moved to a few weeks later. The schools gave me no trouble and I was actually admitted a few weeks later. The only ones (at least for the schools for which I changed the date) who even knew about the schedule change were the receptionists, so my interviewers had no idea. Schools know how difficult it is to fly all over the country for interviews, so I think they're pretty accomodating.

Thanks for the input. Do you think I should tell them I have reservations to run in a 5K, or do you think it would be better if I just left it at a "schedule conflict"? I really don't want to ruin any chance I have of getting into this school.
Again, thanks,
Nancy

Nancy Davis said:
Thanks for the input. Do you think I should tell them I have reservations to run in a 5K, or do you think it would be better if I just left it at a "schedule conflict"? I really don't want to ruin any chance I have of getting into this school.
Again, thanks,
Nancy

Just tell the truth. Say you already have tickets for the 5K and would be willing to miss the race and forfeit the tickets if you can't change the interview date because you're really excited for the opportunity to interview, then ask if they have any other dates available.

If it's a rolling school though, I'd skip the race and interview b/c interviewing earlier gives you a distinct advantage.

I think I've ended up rescheduling at every school that has given me a specific date (or even dates to chose from!) I don't think it matters at all to the interviewers or your chance of getting an acceptance, except that yes, those that interview earlier at rolling schools will have an advantage. I would call and tell the truth and see if there are any dates around that same time available, or possibly even any recent cancellations that you might be able to get in earlier! A few days isn't going to matter.

chandelantern said:
I think I've ended up rescheduling at every school that has given me a specific date (or even dates to chose from!) I don't think it matters at all to the interviewers or your chance of getting an acceptance, except that yes, those that interview earlier at rolling schools will have an advantage. I would call and tell the truth and see if there are any dates around that same time available, or possibly even any recent cancellations that you might be able to get in earlier! A few days isn't going to matter.

Schools will let you reschedule if you have a conflict, and it usually won't hurt you other than getting in later in a rolling process. In most cases those who interview you won't even know that you made a change in schedule. However, given that you just have a 5k race and not another interview or a family event (wedding, funeral) or some other conflict of that level of importance, you should go to the interview. Once you are accepted to med school, you can run tons of races to make up for the one you missed, without concern for conflicts.

(As for the later question - if, against my and other's suggestions, you do try to reschedule do not tell them it's to go run a race. Schools will equate that with a level of disinterest in their school.)

If you decide to reschedule, see if you can go earlier. Whenever I've had to reschedule, I've always been able to get in earlier (w/ rolling schools) so that's helped me out.

sweetdoc