Can schools readily find out your acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happydays

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if all med schools (to which you've applied) can easily find out where you've interviewed and your status at each school?

And does anyone know if they consider your other acceptances in their final decision? (For example, would a state school reject someone if they already got into a top 10 school? This is just a hypothetical senario.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They can never see your complete list of where else you've applied/interviewed. (unless they hunt down your mdapplicants profile :p )

They can see where you've been accepted after sometime in March, I believe.

I have heard that some adcoms (specifically the UC schools in California) actually talk to each other about applicants but I don't know if that's true.

Some really, really good applicants will choose their state school over a highly ranked private school ($$$$). So, a state school can reel in some top students and boost their averagel MCAT/gpa by accepting applicants who already have an offer from a seemingly higher ranked school.

Yield (the proportion of offers that are accepted) is another thing that schools want to maximize. So, it wouldn't surprise me if the U Calif. schools did some horse trading so that they all got a good mix of students and they don't poach from one-another. Then everyone of them gets a good yield. Maybe this is somehow unethical and maybe they don't do it -- I don't know, but I can see why it might be a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM said:
Some really, really good applicants will choose their state school over a highly ranked private school ($$$$). So, a state school can reel in some top students and boost their averagel MCAT/gpa by accepting applicants who already have an offer from a seemingly higher ranked school.

Yield (the proportion of offers that are accepted) is another thing that schools want to maximize. So, it wouldn't surprise me if the U Calif. schools did some horse trading so that they all got a good mix of students and they don't poach from one-another. Then everyone of them gets a good yield. Maybe this is somehow unethical and maybe they don't do it -- I don't know, but I can see why it might be a good idea.

I almost think this applies to Texas schools as well.

As far as i know, schools don't know where you applied to, but they do know where you hold acceptances after March 15 i believe.

BaylorGuy said:

Why would they do that? That would undermine the Match, wouldn't it?

BaylorGuy said:

I think you're right, but that's my opinion only.

1a6.jpg

-mota

BaylorGuy said:

As far as i know, schools don't know where you applied to, but they do know where you hold acceptances after March 15 i believe.
Do you really think they do that, BG? Like maybe, they'll see that I've only been interviewed at UT-H and they'll be like, aww, but she was such a sweet girl...she's in!

I've heard that the Texas schools interview you and then rank you and you rank them - sort of like how residency match works - so you will only get an offer from one TX school (if at all) if you are an in-state resident. But I could be wrong about that.

In terms of when other schools can see, I've heard that they cannot know where else you've applied or the status of your acceptances before May 15th. After May 15th, the med schools can share information about people they've accepted, etc.

Yes, this is the last year of the Texas match.

chaeymaey said:
Do you really think they do that, BG? Like maybe, they'll see that I've only been interviewed at UT-H and they'll be like, aww, but she was such a sweet girl...she's in!

I dunno...i wouldn't be suprised if they may do a little of this. I dont know a whole bunch of people who have interviewed at all the Texas schools (aside from a handful here on SDN), so i would imagine that there must be some sort of conversation between schools....or perhaps I like conspiracy theories :D :D :laugh: :laugh:

chaeymaey said:
Yes, this is the last year of the Texas match.

I heard that there was going to be a partial match next year....not necessarily totally get rid of it, but not necessarily strictly adhere to it. From what i understand, it seems that out of a typical interview group of like 60 applicants, only like the top 2-5 applicants would be given acceptances (kind of like to woo them), while the majority of students would be left to rank the schools they interviewed at and there would be a match day.

Kind of like how some out of state places do it (the ones that come to mind, Kansas, Ohio State, Iowa...i think). Basically they only give immediate acceptances to those who are the cream of the crop at their interviews, while the majority of students are kind of held in limbo until like February or March. Beats me though, i'm just taking a guess at this.

It's non-rolling for in-staters, and rolling for out-of-staters as I understand it. And yes, we rank them and they rank us and on Feb 1st it pops out of a computer with where we're accepted.

My interviewer had my complete AMCAS (at Wayne) with all the schools in all. Perhaps they can only see where you've sent your primary, but don't know where you're complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
happydays said:
My interviewer had my complete AMCAS (at Wayne) with all the schools in all. Perhaps they can only see where you've sent your primary, but don't know where you're complete.

They are not supposed to get the last page of that AMCAS form. Some of the schools which ask you to directly send them a paper AMCAS with your secondary make clear that you can omit that page.

Is March 15 the day when all of our acceptances are revealed? Do schools use this info to decide who they want to recruit with scholarship $?

ChocolateKiss said:
Is March 15 the day when all of our acceptances are revealed? Do schools use this info to decide who they want to recruit with scholarship $?
This is a mystery still.

According to REL, schools who have accepted you can see your other acceptances NOW. I think he said sometime towards the end of March(?), all schools can see your acceptances. I don't know anything about scholarships, though.

can schools ever see which schools you applied to but were not accepted to?

thinknofu3 said:
In terms of when other schools can see, I've heard that they cannot know where else you've applied or the status of your acceptances before May 15th. After May 15th, the med schools can share information about people they've accepted, etc.

not true....this is an excerpt from an email i got sometime last week

Dear Nasty,

Recently we received notification from the AAMC Section for Student Services that you have received offers of admission from multiple medical school, including the University of State School. The State School of Medicine’s Admissions Committee recognizes your achievements and potential for success as a physician, and is therefore not surprised that others appreciate your credentials.

I was surprised to see this....also i had a meeting with my premed advisor last week and she knew the schools i had gotten into without me even telling her

they don't see where you are waitlisted at, right? or do they get your status at every school you applied to?

They can see where I've been rejected? That doesn't seem right somehow...

Schools can definitely see where you have been accepted. They can all access AMCAS and see a lot of what your premed advisor can see on there. I don't know how much detail they can access, but they do have a list of your multiple acceptances and can see where you matriculate for sure.

I have had a feeling at my recent interviews that the schools know if and where I am holding multiple acceptances. This is a feeling, and of course, I don't have anything to prove it

do they just see ALL schools you've been accepted to, regardless if you're holding onto them or declined them...or do they just see schools that you're holding onto acceptances for?

pnasty said:

Dear Nasty,

Recently we received notification from the AAMC Section for Student Services that you have received offers of admission from multiple medical school, including the University of State School. The State School of Medicine’s Admissions Committee recognizes your achievements and potential for success as a physician, and is therefore not surprised that others appreciate your credentials.

I was surprised to see this....also i had a meeting with my premed advisor last week and she knew the schools i had gotten into without me even telling her

definitely a conspiracy going on, and we are left in teh dark about the truth
I think that there is neither a "conspiracy going on" nor that we are entirely "left in the dark about the truth."

The AAMC adopts and recommends specific guidelines for both applicants and medical school admissions officers regarding the admissions process. Here is the link to those guidelines:
http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

Moreoever, I believe that while filing the AMCAS there was a question regarding whether you agree to have your medical school admissions revealed to your undergraduate/premed advisor.

NapeSpikes said:
This is a mystery still.

According to REL, schools who have accepted you can see your other acceptances NOW. I think he said sometime towards the end of March(?), all schools can see your acceptances. I don't know anything about scholarships, though.
The Dean of admissions at Colorado said that they can see our acceptances now and by mid-March they would be able to see all the school to which we have applied.

waterlily said:
do they just see ALL schools you've been accepted to, regardless if you're holding onto them or declined them...or do they just see schools that you're holding onto acceptances for?
AAMC is notified of all admissions actions within four weeks of those actions being taken between 1 Aug and 15 March, and within 7 days of those actions being taken between 16 March and the first day of classes.

(source: http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm )

Camel said:
Schools can definitely see where you have been accepted. They can all access AMCAS and see a lot of what your premed advisor can see on there. I don't know how much detail they can access, but they do have a list of your multiple acceptances and can see where you matriculate for sure.

Wait, I knew schools could see our acceptances, but our premed advisor?? I had no idea he could get on there?!

gdbaby said:
The Dean of admissions at Colorado said that they can see our acceptances now and by mid-March they would be able to see all the school to which we have applied.

I have read about this topic on numerous threads. Almost everyone says that while the schools can see where you have been admitted, they cannot see places that you applied (unless you gave them a paper copy of your AMCAS).

Edit: In terms of pre-med advisors, I have not read anything about this. I do not think that they would have access to AMCAS because it is a privacy issue.

gdbaby said:
I thought it was 3/15 they could see your acceptances, and in May, the deadline, they could see everything, including your rejections/waitlists/etc. It doesn't matter much, especially to me, but do you think CU (or other schools) use this information to increase their yield (#of matriculants/#of acceptances offered)?

RxnMan said:
It doesn't matter much, especially to me, but do you think CU (or other schools) use this information to increase their yield (#of matriculants/#of acceptances offered)?

Yes, I think that's what it's mainly for. That, and recruiting/scholarships. But yeah, it doesn't matter for me either.

NapeSpikes said:
Yes, I think that's what it's mainly for. That, and recruiting/scholarships. But yeah, it doesn't matter for me either.
I was looking through some old threads and gdbaby reports that even though they can see where people have been accepted for a whole week before they distribute the class list, CU does not use this information.

Who knows? (rhetorical question, don't need to respond). By the way, anyone know the number of people interviewed at CU, this year or last?

Can MD schools find out if someone has been accepted to any DO schools?

RxnMan said:
I thought it was 3/15 they could see your acceptances, and in May, the deadline, they could see everything, including your rejections/waitlists/etc. It doesn't matter much, especially to me, but do you think CU (or other schools) use this information to increase their yield (#of matriculants/#of acceptances offered)?
You may be right. It was all a blur when sondheimer was talking about it. Although I defintiely remember him saying that they don't pay attention to it when picking their matriculants.

RxnMan said:
Who knows? (rhetorical question, don't need to respond). By the way, anyone know the number of people interviewed at CU, this year or last?
Just looking at my notes from interview day:
Last year:
2526 applicants (583=CO)
558 interviews
Class 144 (109=CO)

This year:
about 2600 applicants
576 interviews
Class 156

gdbaby said:
Just looking at my notes from interview day:
Last year:
2526 applicants (583=CO)
558 interviews
Class 144 (109=CO)

This year:
about 2600 applicants
576 interviews
Class 156
Do you know what proportion of the interviewees were OOS for either year?

You can tell the waiting is getting to me - I'm crunching numbers!

RxnMan said:
Do you know what proportion of the interviewees were OOS for either year?

You can tell the waiting is getting to me - I'm crunching numbers!
This is from the U.S. News data of applied, interviewd, accepted, enrolled for 2004, I don't have more recent stuff.

Total: 2,512 (589=CO)
Interviewed: 569 (326=CO)
Accepted: 229 (130=CO)
Enrolled: 132 (103=CO)--lots of OOSers don't want to pay $72k for year one!

Obviously the numbers are fairly different for this year since they have increased their class size. Sean states that it is about a 50/50 shot once you get the interview.

gdbaby said:
This is from the U.S. News data of applied, interviewd, accepted, enrolled for 2004, I don't have more recent stuff.

Total: 2,512 (589=CO)
Interviewed: 569 (326=CO)
Accepted: 229 (130=CO)
Enrolled: 132 (103=CO)--lots of OOSers don't want to pay $72k for year one!

Obviously the numbers are fairly different for this year since they have increased their class size. Sean states that it is about a 50/50 shot once you get the interview.
Thanks. I really just want the % chance, so only relative number size is needed.

After my experience last year at this time, I can empathize with those with gambling addicitions!

lookslikerain said:
can schools ever see which schools you applied to but were not accepted to?[/QUOTE

Med schools can only see acceptances while they are in effect. At this time we can only see acceptances to other schools of applicants that we have accepted at this time. Sometime in the second half of March med schools will be able to look at any applicant to their program and can only see if you have a current acceptance.

pnasty said:

Dear Nasty,

definitely a conspiracy going on, and we are left in teh dark about the truth

I do not understand the above unless it was from an undergrad advisor of some type. It is true that there is a separate system for premed advisors who can, at some time unknown to me (probably by now), see the schools where you have been accepted. I am taking a wild guess here, but I would think that it would only be your own home school premed advisors who would see this information.

I know a guy that works in the premed office at my undergrad school. One day, he showed me (albeit a little illegally) how the premed advisors and people within the premed office at the school of the applicant can see any action taken by schools within a week of that action. I saw it for myself. :D

ofield23 said:
I know a guy that works in the premed office at my undergrad school. One day, he showed me (albeit a little illegally) how the premed advisors and people within the premed office at the school of the applicant can see any action taken by schools within a week of that action. I saw it for myself. :D
scary prospect. so my premed advisor and all my other schools can see where I've interviewed, been put on hold, accepted, and rejected?

happydays said:
scary prospect. so my premed advisor and all my other schools can see where I've interviewed, been put on hold, accepted, and rejected?

That's right 'HAPPY DAYS."

happydays said:

But this is only if you solicit the right for an advisor to see your status. When you apply, and also when you take the MCAT, there is a box to be checked if you don't mind that the advisors see your information. If you allow for them to see it, at that stage, then yes I'd imagine they'd be able to see this information. But if you check the box which states you don't want them seeing it, I'd imagine they'll never see it.

I don't mind my premed advisor seeing all of that stuff, but hopefully people in our premed office don't spontaneously have access to the info as in the example mentioned above....

This might be a stupid question, but do you guys know if schools can see what scholarship offers you've gotten at other schools? I wish I could let that info slip somehow in hopes of getting a scholarship at the school I really want to go to.