Can somebody help me with this simple math.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

going2breakdown

Hoop jumper extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Divide .55 by 204.2 and please show me the fastest way, estimation if necessary.
Thanks in advance!
 
The way I go about estimating calculations like this one is to look at it as 50 / 200 = 1/4 or 0.25
Notice how the decimal is 2 places to the left of 55, therefore you move the decimal 2 spots over to reach 0.0025 as your answer.
 
The way I do it is set it up so that the "apparent" numerator is bigger than the denominator using scientific notation.

So for this, I'd do (5 x 10^-1)/(2x10^2) = 2.5 x 10^-3