Can someone earn both a DO and MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so there are schools like Mich State which have both an MD and DO program...

I was wondering, there has to be some interested in learning both, are there any places that offer earning both / why doesnt any place! Seriously, it wouldnt be that much longer would it? Because most of the stuff is the same!

(I actually AM interested in both philosphies on medicine... and I have applied to both DO [2] and MD [8] programs. Ive been accepted to MSU COM [DO], and WSU SOM [MD] thus far...)

Members don't see this ad.

gbiz said:
Okay, so there are schools like Mich State which have both an MD and DO program...

I was wondering, there has to be some interested in learning both, are there any places that offer earning both / why doesnt any place! Seriously, it wouldnt be that much longer would it? Because most of the stuff is the same!

(I actually AM interested in both philosphies on medicine... and I have applied to both DO [2] and MD [8] programs. Ive been accepted to MSU COM [DO], and WSU SOM [MD] thus far...)

As a D.O., you have already taken the same courses as an M.D. and more. You can be certified by the ACGME if you take your USMLE exams, just as an M.D. There is no justification in this case to get the added credentials.

As an M.D., you can train in the osteopathic medicine component alone without the other training at an accredited school. There are M.D.'s who currently practice OMM. However, you cannot take the COMLEX and/or be certified by the AOA.

As far as getting both degrees, at this point, I've never actually heard of anyone doing it. This is likely true because of the reasons I mentioned above.

OSUdoc08 said:
As a D.O., you have already taken the same courses as an M.D. and more. You can be certified by the ACGME if you take your USMLE exams, just as an M.D. There is no justification in this case to get the added credentials.

As an M.D., you can train in the osteopathic medicine component alone without the other training at an accredited school. There are M.D.'s who currently practice OMM. However, you cannot take the COMLEX and/or be certified by the AOA.

As far as getting both degrees, at this point, I've never actually heard of anyone doing it. This is likely true because of the reasons I mentioned above.

bah

just go with the md bro. manipulation is ridiculous

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Hugh Hefner said:
bah

just go with the md bro. manipulation is ridiculous

Then perhaps you can explain why they teach it to M.D.'s at Harvard Medical School?

isn't our good friend Mr. Still M.D. D.O.??

gbiz said:

DO = Allopathic medicine + Osteopathy + no bias against any scientifically demonstrated therapies.
MD = Allopathic medicine.

If you are interested in both, and learning as much as you can, go DO. If you are just interested in being a doctor, go with either.

jonb12997 said:
isn't our good friend Mr. Still M.D. D.O.??

Yes, but this is back when D.O. was a Doctor of Osteopathy and not a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. You can still become a Doctor of Osteopathy in Great Britain.

It is "OMM only." The combination of Osteopathy with Allopathic Medicine made Osteopathic Medicine, which is what Osteopathic Medical schools train students to be in the US today.

OSUdoc08 said:
Then perhaps you can explain why they teach it to M.D.'s at Harvard Medical School?

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/13/05/01.html

They also have chiropractors teach alternative medicine, so what?

On the one hand, DOs want to pigeon-hole MDs as being ONLY allopathic medicine (as another post on this thread states). Of course, what no DO mentions (unless convenient) is that allopathic school don't really have a specific philosophy preferring one modality over another-- we just want evidence.

Trust me, if manipulation cured bacterial infections, as opposed to our darned allopathic poisonous antibiotics, we would be using it instead.

And no doubt, some manipulation is likely to be useful in rehab or musculoskeletal medicine. And as evidence becomes available, allopaths will start using it.

We're not opposed to new forms of medicine... we're just opposed to new forms of medicine that don't have any consistent proof they work. And as such proof is generated and accepted as valid with repeat trials, no doubt will MDs use those therapeutic options as well.

Fantasy Sports said:

On the one hand, DOs want to pigeon-hole MDs as being ONLY allopathic medicine (as another post on this thread states). Of course, what no DO mentions (unless convenient) is that allopathic school don't really have a specific philosophy preferring one modality over another-- we just want evidence.

Trust me, if manipulation cured bacterial infections, as opposed to our darned allopathic poisonous antibiotics, we would be using it instead.

And no doubt, some manipulation is likely to be useful in rehab or musculoskeletal medicine. And as evidence becomes available, allopaths will start using it.

We're not opposed to new forms of medicine... we're just opposed to new forms of medicine that don't have any consistent proof they work. And as such proof is generated and accepted as valid with repeat trials, no doubt will MDs use those therapeutic options as well.

Good strawman argument. Not worth my time.

gbiz said:

Why do you want both degrees if having either one can let you become physician?

Sam212 said:
One of my cousins who went to a foreign medical school wasn't able to get a residency spot here for four consecutive years. Therefore, he attended NYCOM (apparently there is a program which trains foreign doctors for three years and awards them D.O) Needless to say, he is now a IM resident at UMASS. He puts M.D after his name for some reason altough that MD couldn't get him a residency spot in US. So he is both MD and DO.

But he can only legally practice in the US under his DO license. He isn't supposed to be practicing with an MD after his name because he's not licensed as one in the US. A technicality, really, but it is a legal issue.

This NYCOM program is the only fast-track way I know of to actually earn an MD (foreign) and then DO. (there apparently are some Carib mail-order type "MD programs for DOs" but they aren't legit and don't give you the legal basis to promote yourself as an MD in the US) The NYCOM program was developed for foreign-trained physicians who had trouble passing the USMLE Step I & II. Otherwise, foreign physicians who have trouble with the USMLE but want to practice medicine in the US have to completely re-do medical school. There is one such student in my med school class. She was a practicing ENT in her home country and is re-doing the entire 4 years.

There is absolutely no legit reason in this day-and-age for a US trained DO to try to get an MD. It's just an ego thing. :rolleyes:

Fantasy Sports said:

jkhamlin said:
Good strawman argument. Not worth my time.

Don't bother. Look at this Fantasy guy's past posts - all he does is bash non-allopathic physicians, whether they be RNs, DOs, Dentists, or Chiropractors. In fact he previously stated that he feels threatened that these other healthcare professions are going to take over the job of MDs and he has appointed himself as the leader to stick up for the allopathic profession lol. Kind of fitting that he has the word "Fantasy" in his handle. However, he is one of the few medical students to my knowlodge that has this idiotic arrogant attitude that they are better than everyone else. In reality, it's usually just the cocky pre-meds who think this way. Throughout med school, residency, and practice you're just worrying about studying, learning, and saving lives - not who is better or who had a higher GPA in college. From family, friends, and my personal experiences, all doctors (as well as other healthcare professionals) work together and treat each other with respect. Nobody is looked down upon. This fantasy sports kid strikes me as the kind of person who would rather make a fatal error in a medical procedure that he's not familiar with than ask a doctor in the same field who happened to be a DO for advice or assistance. But hey, Fantasy, M.D. had a higher GPA in college, so we all know he'd never need any help in the real world lol.

You must be able to get both degrees... I just saw a guy on an infomercial that was M.D. D.O. M.D.(H) this guy must be SOOOO smart ;)

Edit: I did some surfing and it looks like he's in that group in california that got an M.D. back when D.O.'s could pay like "$50" and get an MD.