Can someone elaborate on the pros/cons of the UC schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Engrailed

Are your hands dry as well?
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
UC Med schools are some of the best in the country but what are the merits or downsides of each school?
I assume they are all research powerhouses, good residency match stats etc..

UCSD
UCSF
UCLA
UC-Davs

Etc

Members don't see this ad.

Cost of living is one major issue for SF, LA and SD. I believe UCD focuses more on primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend not applying as one seat will already be gone because of me. UCD also heavily favors students with a STRONG (not like “oh my aunt lives there”) connection to the Sacramento region per an adcom member at the UCD health conference

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend not applying as one seat will already be gone because of me. UCD also heavily favors students with a STRONG (not like “oh my aunt lives there”) connection to the Sacramento region per an adcom member at the UCD health conference
I also read same thing about UCD. Interestingly my ORM friends kids from Sacramento region didn't even get interviews despite good stats.

UC schools are some of the most competitive in the country as California as a whole has significantly more applicants that in-state public med schools available. Ironically, because several UCs have no formal instate preference, UCLA, UCSF, and to lesser extent, UCSD are positioned as national institution seeking students from across the country, thus putting more competitive pressure on the fewer in-state preference seats at other UCs.
Just to give you an idea of the environment, UCLA alone graduates enough pre-meds to fill every seat in CA MD schools. This is why my DO school, west of the Missouri, can scoop up enough talented candidates who do not wish to travel all the way to, say, NYMC or Drexel.

Reactions: 1 users
Which of those schools has the best research opportunities/research faculty?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
UC Riverside SOM focuses on primary care and emphasizes the importance under-served communities in the area. UC Davis does similar. Both schools are area and California biased, so they don't really accept out-of-state applicants too often.