Can someone explain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudentquest

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi forum,

So here goes my question. I have heard from only one Derm program, which was Mayo and they gave a nay. I have not heard from any other program! I applied to some programs later on, so I'm not terribly surprised, but I applied to a wide variety of them at the end of October and still nothing. What is the deal? I have not even heard from my home school. What's the deal? If different schools are already extending offers, why haven't I heard from them, either to say come and interview or sorry, it's a no. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

How many threads do you need to start?

Try waiting until December and you'll start hearing more and more. Neurotically posting here on a daily basis won't speed things up.

Be nice.

Some programs make their decisions in multiple rounds. They get 4 or 500 apps, the program coordinator sends a pile to each faculty member reviewing them, and then waits for them to get back to her. Different programs do it different ways, but once someone reviews your app, they put you in a yes, no, or maybe pile. The yesses get invites, and then there's another round, etc. You could be in the maybe pile, or since you sent them out so late, some programs may just have not gotten to your application yet. In the end, what our colleague says is true--just relax until December.

Members don't see this ad :)

Try waiting until December and you'll start hearing more and more. Neurotically posting here on a daily basis won't speed things up.

medstudentquest: don't listen to this guy. The whole point of this board is to vent and express our anxieties.

Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you or anyone else. I thought though, that the point of such a forum was to ask questions? Most people post on here on a daily basis, that hardly makes me neurotic.

medstudentquest: don't listen to this guy. The whole point of this board is to vent and express our anxieties.

Yep, that's what I thought! Otherwise what would be the point of this forum?

Be nice.

Some programs make their decisions in multiple rounds. They get 4 or 500 apps, the program coordinator sends a pile to each faculty member reviewing them, and then waits for them to get back to her. Different programs do it different ways, but once someone reviews your app, they put you in a yes, no, or maybe pile. The yesses get invites, and then there's another round, etc. You could be in the maybe pile, or since you sent them out so late, some programs may just have not gotten to your application yet. In the end, what our colleague says is true--just relax until December.

Ok, I will wait *neurotically* until December. :) Can I start to panic then if I don't hear much?

Approximately what are your stats and qualifications? How many programs did you apply to both early and late? The opinions expressed could be very different based on this information.