Can someone figure out what this email means???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MGoBlue13

Grizzled Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at Umich a few weeks ago, and I received this email today.... what does it mean?
acceptance cannot be sent until October 15, and you should enter but
this e-mail as an acceptance offer.

We will keep you informed about the status out of your application.

Again, thank you for coming to interview

Members don't see this ad.

w3rd

that's what it means

either a) you're in or b) they falsely gave u hope and in blessed america, that means you can sue their pantz off! Congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:

"thank you, we liked you, we'll let you know"

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really understand that last sentence because it doesn't make sense gramatically. Otherwise, it's a thumbs up!

I read as meaning that you were accepted but they cannot send you the official hard copy until October 15. Congrats!

Originally posted by kaos
I didn't really understand that last sentence because it doesn't make sense gramatically. Otherwise, it's a thumbs up!

Yeah I agree. The last sentense is like "huh?"

Official letters of acceptance cannot be sent until October 15, and you should enter but this e-mail as an acceptance offer.

WTF is this suppose to mean?

I would reply the email and ask for clarification.

Yeah, no clue on that last strange little sentence. If you don't mind me asking - when did you interview?

But i think that is definatley a good sign - congrats in advance! :clap:

I think that you are more than justified in asking what the last sentence means. It is not just ambiguous, it is jumbled. Be polite, and I am sure that you will get a "Whoops, I am a dumb ass. What I meant to say was . . ." reply.

I interviewed Sept 13, woots.

I read it as an "unofficial" acceptance, so DO NOT email them back for clarification.. just wait until Oct. 15 and you will avoid possibly annoying someone. I really think the email means that they are ready to accept you so don't rock the boat.

i got the same email about 2 weeks ago. i interviewed on sept 6th. i took it as a good sign, as well as a *please don't call and ask us b/c oct 15th is the day* sign.

congrats MGoBlue... hopefully it was our unofficial acceptance, but i'm not taking it as more than a good sign right now.

:)

Originally posted by MGoBlue13
I interviewed at Umich a few weeks ago, and I received this email today.... what does it mean?

We will keep you informed about the status out of your application.

Again, thank you for coming to interview

Maybe they meant this:

Official letters of acceptance cannot be sent until October 15, but you should enter this e-mail as an acceptance offer.

It's annoying that the email makes no sense. A friendly "can you explain this please" is very warranted. This is very important, life-altering information for the applicant, GoBlue. Three weeks is a long time to wait! If you feel uncomfortable with a "papertrail" email, give them a call. I'm sure someone knows what it means.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by MGoBlue13

Official letters of

To whom ever this may concern:
Thank you for an email update about my application status. Just for my own clarification, could you please reiterate what you meant in the last sentence? Although it sounds like an acceptance offer, I am feeling hesitant to believe so unless I get clarification from your end.

I sincerely hope to hear back from you with good news. After interviewing at your school, I am assured that I will be happy there.

Thank you.

hey mgoblue!!!! i love your screenname!

hey that's an awesome email. i think you can take it to mean you'll be accepted!!!

why don't you just call and ask em??

i would!!! heck that would give me peace of mind! how soon after the interview did you get that email?
are you a mich resident?
did you go there as an undergrad?

So I wrote the Dean back who wrote me, and this is his reply:

The sentence was essentially a disclaimer that you should not interpret
the email as an acceptance offer, you will need to wait until Oct 15.

So, ugh, no acceptance yet. For those who had asked, I am a Umich undergrad, but also an out of stater. I got this about 2 weeks after interviewing.

sorry about that, MGoBlue13. But I still think it was a good sign, and I'm hoping you'll hear great things come October 15!! :clap: :clap: :D

Really? Are u for real? That's his excuse? "Voice recognition software?" :rolleyes: Man, that's harsh!

I was thinking that it probably didn't have anything to do with you being accepted or not. Since you already interviewed, I am going to guess you got one of the automatic invites based on your numbers, so of course they would be impressed with your credentials.

Originally posted by scienceriot
"And you should winter nut piss e-mail ass can acceptance golfer."

Oh my God, that is the exact email Pritzer sent me! Do you think I'm in?

Unbelievable that he would send out something generated by voice recognition software without proofreading!! :rolleyes: What do you suppose they'd do with an application that contained voice recognition generated gobbledygook?!?!?! :eek: :confused:

So if the email was generated by the Dean's voice-recognition software, then the true meaning of the last sentence must be decoded by what SOUNDS like the words contained therein. Therefore, I have used my superior sleuthing skills to decode it for you.

Sounds like a good sign to me! Congratulations!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ROFLMLAO.

It's like in "You Don't Know Jack!"

-RA

maybe they generate a bunch of different ones, depending on when you interviewed.... i just noticed in my email that the screwy last sentence is different. mine actually says "you should not interpret this as an acceptance; we will notify you around October 15th" rather than the goobledegook that was in MGoBlue's email.

But still, it's a funny mental image of the dean sitting there, saying the same thing over and over to his "software" and just inserting a different interview date for each one. :laugh:

EITHER WAY - i took the email as a positive sign, and i will wait and see what they have to say on oct 15th.

Whoa...friend of mine just got one from the dean of Michigan:

Edges wanted to drop you a quick note and thank you for coming to interview at the University of Michigan medical school. The admissions committee was very impressed with your credentials and accomplishments, including [words removed by RA]. Formal letters of acceptance cannot be sent until October 15, and you should not interpret this e-mail as an acceptance offer.

We'll keep you informed about the status of your application.

Again thank you for coming to interview.

It was personalized! (which is indicated by the words I removed) And in case you're wondering, he must be using the voice recognition again, because "edges" = "I just". That guy really needs to proof.

I assume this is like the letter I got as an undergrad from Duke (paraphrased): "based on your credentials, you are very likely to get in"... :clap: :clap: :clap:

-RA

I got the same thing today--"Edges," and (this is the full sentence) "Admissions committee was very impressive their credentials, including your work as the residence hall coordinator and your interest health policy research."

Cryptic, but it works. Most tech people say we're still several years away from accurate voice recognition. But it's still impressive he took the time to dictate them all.

I got one today as well (after interviewing on the 20th), but mine was the generic we liked your credentials one

I think it might be more helpful to ask if there is anyone who interviewed at Michigan lately who has NOT received this email

Being the manic-depressive pre-med that I am also at first began thinking that this was a covert way of assuring me acceptance, but after thinking about it, it occurred to me that why would Michigan violate AMCAS's Oct. 15 rule in such a goofy way that could so easily be exposed? I know think that this was just a means by the admissions committee to throw us all a bone and keep us guessing and excited about Michigan, but I sure hope I'm wrong

Originally posted by crazyA
I got one today as well (after interviewing on the 20th), but mine was the generic we liked your credentials one

I think it might be more helpful to ask if there is anyone who interviewed at Michigan lately who has NOT received this email

Being the manic-depressive pre-med that I am also at first began thinking that this was a covert way of assuring me acceptance, but after thinking about it, it occurred to me that why would Michigan violate AMCAS's Oct. 15 rule in such a goofy way that could so easily be exposed? I know think that this was just a means by the admissions committee to throw us all a bone and keep us guessing and excited about Michigan, but I sure hope I'm wrong

Well, they're basically interviewing what they consider the top of the applicant pool first... especially if it's people they're interviewing without seeing secondaries and/or LORs...

-RA

Originally posted by Random Access
Whoa...friend of mine just got one from the dean of Michigan:

It was personalized! (which is indicated by the words I removed) And in case you're wondering, he must be using the voice recognition again, because "edges" = "I just". That guy really needs to proof.

I assume this is like the letter I got as an undergrad from Duke (paraphrased): "based on your credentials, you are very likely to get in"... :clap: :clap: :clap:

-RA

That EDGES part is quite funny. I actually assumed it was some guy the person interviewed with. Like the Dean was saying, "Edges wanted me to drop you a quick note and...."

Are we all losing our minds or is this application cycle getting funnier???

Originally posted by crazyA

I didn't get one... :( Which makes me pretty sad and nervous... but oh well...

I think it means that they want to tell you you're in without committing just yet. In other words... they want to accept you now, but AMCAS won't let them.

Which I'm thinking means I didn't get in... oh well... nice to have something of a warning before the read thing comes. :)

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
That EDGES part is quite funny. I actually assumed it was some guy the person interviewed with. Like the Dean was saying, "Edges wanted me to drop you a quick note and...."

Are we all losing our minds or is this application cycle getting funnier???

That was actually my first thought when she told me! I thought Edges was the interviewer or someone on the committee, or the name of the dean or something (and it was the secretary writing)...

-RA

Aaaarrrgh!! Is this computor generated voice recognition the future of the English language? As an English lang buff, I find this horrifying.
Not to mention what will happen when Drs start using this technology to dictate chart notes. ex. "recommending ***** moan replay cement therapy"(':eek:')
eek!

Sheesh! You guys need to post in the "I need a hug" thread.
I completely interpreted that first email to be an acceptance. :(