Can someone help me make sense of this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask what behavioral change people would like to see? Do they want the "old guard" to call out erg more? Do they want the mods to discipline erg? What kind of changes would we need to see for your concerns to be addressed?

Members don't see this ad.

Can I ask what behavioral change people would like to see? Do they want the "old guard" to call out erg more?

They cant do that. It would hurt my feelings. And then I would start a thread about it.

It would be kinda cool if I was voted off, kinda like they did in Survivor. All those fools go on to make good money. Well, expect for that one numb nuts who didn't pay his taxes...whats his name?

Reactions: 1 user
How about a sticky thread titled "Let's all hate on erg"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
All anybody has ever said is that it would be lovely if he took a little less time to go out of his way to be unnecessarily rude; my personal complaint is that it would be more tolerable if it was in fact humorous to absolutely anybody. My personal peeve is that WisNeuro and to a lesser extent Pragma are over the top in attacking anyone they're not friends with; the latter less so because she's a lot easier to ignore because she's more outlandish and ridiculous most of the time

What happened to Susana? She was my favorite Peanuts character. Pragma would be Lucy, CS maybe the universally liked Linus
Edit: I'm realizing how perfectly Lucy fits most of you here. The doctor is in!

Let me speak for myself...
11038011_10153997438908906_1273038454841608704_n.jpg

It'd also be great if there were no terrorism and world peace. Also, I'm curious, what exactly am I hypocritical about?
Have you not been following any thread this last week? You're pretty willing to be a jerk to attack the perceived biases and fallacies when you don't agree with someone; blind to them when you do. You call out hypocrisy in others while being clearly hypocritical yourself: you are meta hypocritical. And just kind of a narcissistic bore about it because of how petty your attacks are when you don't like the point being made

But, I don't care when other people are jerks. They are free to do so. I'm just more than happy to point out factual inaccuracies and how things work in the field. I attack people's terrible life decisions that adversely affect the field. If that's hypocritical, I'm alright with that. And, I will continue to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
So many accusations about "attacks" here. I just don't think it is synonymous with "making a point that doesn't agree with yours" - and perceiving those as "attacks" is definitely contraindicated with participating in a public internet forum.

So many accusations about "attacks" here. I just don't think it is synonymous with "making a point that doesn't agree with yours" - and perceiving those as "attacks" is definitely contraindicated with participating in a public internet forum.

You wouldn't understand. You're just too outlandish.

But, I don't care when other people are jerks. They are free to do so. I'm just more than happy to point out factual inaccuracies and how things work in the field. I attack people's terrible life decisions that adversely affect the field. If that's hypocritical, I'm alright with that. And, I will continue to do so.
I'm fine with you doing those things: in fact, I want you to do so twice as much! To do it to the old guard as well as new members. But I'm not talking about factual things I'm talking about petty semantics you so love

But the old guard aren't generally making terrible life choices and making our profession look bad. And, when one does, I call him out all of the time on factual things. So, seems like a good mix to me. I'm just gonna keep on keeping on young n'.

But the old guard aren't generally making terrible life choices and making our profession look bad. And, when one does, I call him out all of the time on factual things. So, seems like a good mix to me. I'm just gonna keep on keeping on young n'.
Are you being deliberately obtuse? I am speaking solely of your tendency to critique fallacies in thought only of members you disagree with, not life choices.

I jumping back in solely for my own benefit...and not to worry about anyone else's maturational process or his/her understanding of semantics...I'm just hoping someone can help me make sense of this thread, too.

clinpsyc87, what are you friggin talking about here? You're totally talking in circles.

Over the past 7+ years, I have gotten into debates with everyone on this board about all kinds of topics. All of them, PSYDR, WisNeuro, AA, T4C, egr923, Pragma, Ollie, cara, McParent, even Futureapppsy (forgive me if we've argued in the past and I excluded you in my rhetoric).... all of them and more. And guess what? They may have bruised my 'ego' at times (and I use that term loosely because I am a psychodynamically trained clinician). In fact, a lot of my disagreements have been about theoretical orientation. What I think you are missing, is that over time people develop camaraderie from collegial discussions. And we also become thick-skinned, and develop self-esteem and pride in our accomplishments, and recognition through hardwork and experience...so you earn your voice, and guess what? People start to listen to you and take you on as an authority (not saying me, well...in real life, yes, but on this board, I do not expect it).

You can't simply jump on SDN as Sally from the Valley and have your hand held through this process of discovery about the field. And some folks are pretty straightforward about how they feel, for example, many do not care for professional schools because they feel it saturates the field with poorly trained psychologist (it is not black and white though...you can be an exception to that statement), and I personally pick a bone with the magazine Psychology Today because it is so mainstream and has poorly reviewed articles that again saturate the field with pop-psychology....dumbing down what we really do, as thoughtful scientists.

I'll tell ya...if any of the 'old timers' speak up about neuropsych, VA jobs, licensing, academic appointments, EPPP, post-docs, job interviews, RO1s, etc. I listen...because they have traveled down this road...and I want to hear their experiences. Now, if one of them ends their monologue with "so take that, you POS grunt." Yeah, I'll be shocked and dismayed, but guess what? I got my information from them...and I will move on.

Oh, and I also wanted to add...that many people don't stay on this board forever because they don't have friggin time!!! I've only been on here lately b/c I've glued to my laptop for 'real work' but other than that I have long lulls where I don't log on unless I have insomnia. I'll be gone again as soon as I start post-doc. It can be time-consuming to follow threads, and I always have too much going on in my real world.

Just sayin' And again...this comment is for my own benefit and all the Sallys from the Valley who may be equally confused about what the direction that this particular conversation has gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
All of them, PSYDR, WisNeuro, AA, T4C, egr923, Pragma, Ollie, cara, McParent, even Futureapppsy (forgive me if we've argued in the past and I excluded you in my rhetoric).... all of them and more.

I've got to say that I'm a little disappointed to not be included more in this thread as one of the offenders. o_O

Reactions: 1 users
I've got to say that I'm a little disappointed to not be included more in this thread as one of the offenders. o_O
If you prefaced a few more of your comments wih a "listen here sonny boy" as erg is wont to do, you might hit a few more nerves. I gathered somewhere that he is only about 35 so I can't wait till he responds to one of my posts with "old man" or "gramps" or some variation.

These threads about message board etiquette are my favorites. I don't know what that says about me. I do think our society is increasingly intolerant of authenticity, and part of me appreciates how unvarnished erg (and others) can be. The part of me that thrills to Donald Trump's pomposity also delights in the occasional savagery on SDN.

And, I can also empathize with others who sometimes find the tone and content offensive. It's totally preposterous to say that the discourse is always professional. On the other hand, our field is full of people who don't seem to act in ways that I would consider professional. In general I find that psychology's bad eggs are tolerated and mostly ignored, even when they are supervisors, DOTs, etc. Maybe the fact that they are ignored makes them growl louder and with more intent to injure.

I've come to this conclusion: my irritation is derived partly from the fact that I just have never once found erg funny. Ever. He finds himself funny (Dunning-Kruger) but many of us simply don't.
totally a to each their own thing. I find erg to be funny at times. He's one of a handful of people on here that I think IRL I'd actually be friends with. Ironically, I'm certain I know posters on here, but cannot identify them based solely on their writing.

FWIW, this board has been very helpful to me. I first posted on here as a malcontent masters student. I've long forgotten what my issue was then, but whatever it was, the board BLASTED me for it. I think I was dissatisfied with a supervisor for some reason. How many years later, I've learned/tracked with this board so much, and I'm thrilled to give back. Unfortunately, there's still a lot of people that come on here and get upset because of reality. Whether it's moving, not waltzing into your #1 program that accepts 4% of applicants, etc, or accepting debt for a terrible program that wont get you licensed or a job, the nature of this board can be upsetting.

He's one of a handful of people on here that I think IRL I'd actually be friends with. Ironically, I'm certain I know posters on here, but cannot identify them based solely on their writing.

I've actually thought about having an SDN gathering in a few years so we can all meet each other in person. Is NYC convenient for everyone, say 2020? My place? :hardy:

Just make it a seminar so I can get my company to pay for it. ;)
You joke, but I've kicked around the idea of visiting friends in different parts of the country to give an "invited talk". An honorarium or whatever to pay for a flight, and I can stay w. the friend. Come to think of it…I should revisit this idea. :D

You joke, but I've kicked around the idea of visiting friends in different parts of the country to give an "invited talk". An honorarium or whatever to pay for a flight, and I can stay w. the friend. Come to think of it…I should revisit this idea. :D
I was actually only half joking. If I was going on a trip to meet a bunch of psychologists and students, it shouldn't be too hard to make it a continuing ed workshop. Maybe we could have someone present the current research on best practices for something like... hmmm... sensitivity training? :happy:

Depends on the licensing body, but some are very liberal in what is counted for CE activities. I have 6 months to go before renewing and I have like 4 times the amount of CE's that I need. Although I also work in the VA (tons of approved training activities) and my state accepts research publications and time spent preparing training talks as CE's up to a point.

I was actually only half joking. If I was going on a trip to meet a bunch of psychologists and students, it shouldn't be too hard to make it a continuing ed workshop. Maybe we could have someone present the current research on best practices for something like... hmmm... sensitivity training? :happy:
Anyone want to take a stab at a lecture on teaching distress tolerance? Part lecture and part immersive didactic. There will be yelling children, demanding mentors, a couple of Social Justice Warriors, and if time permits "I went to Harvard" guy...who will aggressively share stories while working Harvard into the conversation at least every 45 seconds.

I can give a talk on impulse control and behavioral interventions. It will include everything from traumatic brain injury to that girl you had in class who couldn't go 20 min without taking a selfie.

Maybe Cheetah can give a talk titled, "No really, it is in fact YOU and not ME", it'd focus on how to cope w. difficult colleagues.

erg can give a talk on, "You are a unique snowflake...just like all of the other unique snowflakes: How survive in a world that has gone soft". There may be a member from someone's HR dept to provide overly obtuse feedback about current university policy.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm happy to cover the obligatory methods/statistics talk that everyone ditches to go out to dinner. Its not a real psych conference without one of those.

That saves me from having to bother with preparing slides!

I could give a Sunday morning talk about Psychology in Canada. Like Ollie, I will also not have to prepare slides... The one other Canadian in attendance will already by lining up at airport security by the time my talk starts.

I'll organize the social hour. I am well versed in good bartender placement and in creating a comfortable face to face atmosphere for attacking people. I'll show up to Ollie's talk to absorb useful information and then not feel guilty for going out on the town after, hoping I don't forget it all :)

Let me prep my presentation "What I know about self care, despite what my fancy pants cardiologist says".

Do they award ce credits in fractions?

I love it. The title is help me make sense of this and the further we go, the less sense it makes. Reminds me of a few of my sessions where at the end of it, the patient and I both say, "what the heck were we talking about and why?"

I can present a poster in the remote corner of the room that's facing the back wall, on the last day after everyone has left the conference. I haven't decided on the topic yet.

I can also attend and ask "But what are the clinical applications of this?" at every talk.

Reactions: 2 users
["Say hello to my little friend.... (Insomnia)" Said in the voice of Tony Montana (Scarface). Randomly woke up to my little Bose radio, playing Tom Sawyer...what an awesome wake up song (if you like real Classic Rock)- who ever knew? I think my spouse is conspiring to get me to finish all my defense work...he must've set that alarm....as the rest of the house sleeps like babies. Side note: I vow to NEVER pull academic all-nighters ever again after I finish graduate school. I'm going to start looking for jobs with protected research time. This lack of sleep drives some to insanity.]

:hijacked: (always wanted to use that one...I'm taking delight in this groupthink.)

Ok, I'm going to stop "Liking" everyone's comments. I like them all!

So...we're talking meeting up in the MidWest...and/or at APA?

I'm serious folks. This is brilliant. It will be a 4-day conference from the looks of these talks...Or can we condense into 2-days?

Kansas City, MO? Summer or Fall 2020? Mark your calendars. (NYC could always be a back up...several flights here from everywhere daily.) I could work on housing everyone in attendance if we use NYC as a backup...I'll put everyone up in an SRO (single room occupancy) with shared bathrooms...that way we'd all really bond after this conference is over. I'm also in agreement with the Left Coast...anywhere really, I love everywhere from Seattle to San Diego...although Portland Oregon is cool. (We could watch episodes of Portandia when we get home to reminisce about those good old conference days.)

And you people think I'm kidding...I have my google calendar open...checking availability in another tab.

By 2020, I should be licensed and in need of those CEUs.

Guess what...EVERYONE who frequents SDN - Psychology Forums should be invited. We should not discriminate. Even if you don't agree with the status quo, are silent/polite/rude, and get into "Beetle Battles" (Seuss, 1965 p. 23...I think) on the forum. But, you'll have to pay the conference fee...which should be like $495. Crazypsychstudent, JoePianist, and Clinpsyc87 will be the guests of honor, since this is how this all initiated. And their conference fees will be waived. (or is that a form of bribery...like hush money?) Forget about the fee-waiver then. Empathiosis, you'll have to suck it up and pay the fee like the rest of use...unless you boycott this conference, which I hope you do not...you put in your time here on SDN. And Peacemaker36 will be moderator....oh! and MamaPhD (IMO they are the most egalitarian).

And each person is responsible for your flight, food (we can supply some old coffee, with powdered creamer, and stale bagels with runny cream cheese in the mornings), hotel (unless we do the SRO thing in NYC & I can get some good rates), and any other costs. Oh, and you MUST wear suits...no business causal. I want to see everyone in their Sunday best, especially when you are giving your talk.

Should we have a poster presentation so people can pad their CVs with this event? I have several old ones I can submit for presentation and use.

And if this conference is a success, let's plan one for 2021 in Europe. Barcelona is nice. Then, back to the States in 2022 (anywhere really, TX is sounds good - I think erg923 trained there so we could make him conference organizer that year), and in 2023, it can be Sydney. Oh, and conference fees will go up incrementally, each year by hundreds of dollars. I'm not business-minded but I will be financial chair...and pocket the surplus cash to buy myself new suits (Did I just admit to wrong-doing? Just joking about the last part). I will use surplus cash from conference fees to take everyone to dinner and if you drink EtOH...drinking and dancing at the hottest new club afterwards - wear something skimpy under your suit so you can be club-appropriate after the conference ends - and basically just check your coats at the door.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Guess what...EVERYONE who frequents SDN - Psychology Forums should be invited. We should not discriminate. Even if you don't agree with the status quo, are silent/polite/rude, and get into "Beetle Battles" (Seuss, 1965 p. 23...I think) on the forum. But, you'll have to pay the conference fee...which should be like $495. Crazypsychstudent, JoePianist, and Clinpsyc87 will be the guests of honor, since this is how this all initiated.

Thoughts?
But which of my accounts should I come as? I have had entire arguments with myself! We don't all get along. I am like American Dad's Roger. Truly, I am the salt of this forum.