Can someone help with school choice for me please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey I am from Oregon State University (Oregon resident) and have lived in a rural town my whole life. I got a balanced 32 on the MCAT (10PS, 11VR, 11BS) and have a 3.77 GPA with an upward trend (only 2 "B" grades my last 2 years. I am a microbiology major, chemistry minor, Decent EC's but no research (I only washed dishes in a lab but thats not really research)
Here is my school choice...do you think it is top heavy or any suggestions on schools I may have a chance at, any I should get rid of...I do want 2-3 "reach schools" but thats it? I would like to narrow the list down to about 15 due to $$$ where do you think I have a shot...if at all?

Albany Medical
Albert Einstein College of medicine
Boston U
creighton
Dartmouth
Drexel
Georgetown
Harvard
Keck. (USC)
Medical college of Wisconsin
Michigan State
Mount Sinai
NY medical college
Oregon Health and Science University
Rush
SUNY (upstate, downstate)
Miami
Tufts
Tulane
University of Nebraska
U of Rochester
University of Utah (family lives in Provo Utah)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the biggest reach on there (in my opinion) is Harvard. But if that's your dream school, I say keep it. Then again, if you have to sacrifice applying to a "safer" school to apply to Harvard, you might want to toss Harvard. Your call.

I'd call Utah's admissions office first and tell them your family connections and ask if that's sufficient for an interview. I seem to remember it being very difficult to get an interview there as an OOS applicant, but your family ties may be strong enough. Best not to waste that application fee if they can tell you now that your ties won't cut it.

BU and Georgetown will be hard to get into because they (along with GW) get the most applications in the country (13,000?). Your stats are very good for those schools, but due to the large pool of applications, the likelihood of getting interviews at those schools is lower than at schools with similar stats. However, if you're applying early, that may help with those schools.

As for Tufts, check out the tuition. It's really high. Accordingly, if money is (and should be) a consideration, you might want to consider cutting that school instead of another when you're paring your list down.

Otherwise, I think your list looks good, and you'll most likely end up getting into your state school. If you have to cut the list down, I'd start reading up on each of the schools and checking out their curriculum, cost and location, and make some cuts based on those factors. Or, if you can afford it, apply to them all! :luck: