can someone please answer....cp vs ap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i really like pathology, but i prefer/like going into an ap track rather than a cp track into residency...is this a good idea? will it affect me on the board exams? when i apply for jobs?...any advice would be helpful......thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you know for a fact that you are only going to do academics then maybe go AP only. If you don't know that for certain then it is a big mistake not to do both. Private groups want people who are both AP/CP because they run the hopsital labs.

It is only one more year, I would suggest that even if you are going to do academics that it is not a bad idea to do CP. There is alot on the CP side that is applicable to the AP side and it will only help you.

would you say the same even if your're going to do a fellowship in say, dermpath/cytopath and be doing just that...why would you want to do cp? when you apply for jobs, most offers i've seen specifically say we want you do gi/urology/ob-gy..etc ..only, so why cp?...thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if CP can be encorporated into an AN/NP fast track? Does a CP/AP/NP fast track exist? I can understand why anyone doing the AP/NP may not be as interested in CP, but the tenor of this thread suggests that just doing AP is a mistake. Would anyone consider dropping CP a mistake if one is interested in the AP/NP fast track?

Thanks.

Primate,
I would say by going neuropath you almost exclusively limit yourself to the academic setting. And, in that case doing CP is not as important. But, if you do think you want to do private practice (would likely be a very large group if they need a neuropath) they would still prefer someone with CP training.

Thanks GP,

I am interested in staying in the academic arena, so the question may be, well, academic. I suppose that one can't really fast-track with AP/CP into a NP fellowship. With prior research experience, I'm told that the AP/NP can be done in 4 years! I was just wondering if adding the 18 months of CP training could be done without extending the rest. I guess this is a pretty specific situation and not something to which there is a set answer. Thanks anyway.

P

I like AP a lot more than CP as well, docmani. However, as the GP stated, it's a good idea to do both unless you want to do academics. If you do private practice, especially in a smaller setting, you will inevitably be asked to be head of or director of a certain part of the lab that will require some CP training. In addition, if, as an AP/CP, you are just as qualified as an AP only candidate for a certain job, having the CP training as well will definately be an advantage and may lead to you getting the job over the AP only person.