Can Someone Please Help Me!!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peanut2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's the situation - any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

I got into Emory for an MPH in Epi w/ NO scholarship $

I got into Pittsburgh for a PhD program with an assistantship that would pay tuition + a stipend

I have little/no work experience and am coming straight from an undergrad program. I am a little apprehensive about going into a PhD program, but I'm also not too excited about $45,000 debt. Having no experience, I'm not sure if I will want to do the research and teaching that a PhD would provide, but I just don't know for sure. The MPH would be much more general while the PhD is more focused. If Emory would haven been paid for, I would have gone there, so should I just throw caution to the wind and go for the PhD (possibly up to 6 yrs of school)?? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd check to see if the Pitt PhD program will award you an MPH if you only complete a year or two and decide to drop out. If so, I'd go with Pitt. It's a great program, and if you like it great, if not, you can get your MPH paid for and then go do something else.

I was in the same boat when deciding what program to apply for. The way I see it.. why spend 6 years doing something that you arent sure about. I do research and I see first hand how much time and dedication it takes, so if you choose phd, make sure it is something you love.

That said, if you do choose to go to Pitt, you should ask them about a joint degree. I have a friends that is going to UT Southwestern for her phd and they are going to pay for her mph degree.I am fairly certain that many schools will do that. You should look into it.

Congrats

I'd go for Pitt. There is likely some mechanism to get an MPH after about 2 years, in the event that the Phd experience turns you off completely. You willl likely get the MPH after putting in more work than is necessary (since you will be working towards a Phd).