Can someone please recommend some Biology material for me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Like many of you know, i'm planning on taking the MCAT this August; however, I have no completed my Biology sequence! The reason for me doing this is because the physical science section is very fresh in my mind and i'm very good at it. Argh, I haven't completed any Biology yet though.

SO i was wondering if someone can recommend some material for me. Is the EK bio book enough? It seems kind of dense and difficult to read at times... maybe someone can recommend a supplement CD lecture or book, I dunno? I have the campbell Bio book but it's a phone book, I don't want to waste any more time that I need to.

Thanks...I love you.

Members don't see this ad.

is there anyway you can complete the bio sequence? it would definately be helpful.

the EK review book is a great start. i also recommend the EK 101 bio question book. i'm racking my brain but not coming up with much help on a book other than campbell for the first few bio chapters. I think there is a lot of genetics type stuff, right? in that case, i would just look for a good undergrad genetics book, somethign relatively simple that your school uses for a course like "general genetics". the mcat is known for incorporating more and more of that kind of stuff. if i remember right, the last 2/3 of the EK review book is physiology. a wonderful, wonderful physio book for undergrads is by Vander. Excellent book. Seriously, it was the key to my score in the BS.

GOod luck in August!! :)

Thx crys :)

It looks like the EK study program by itself isn't going to be enough to get me through this...hehe. Yeah, I find the first couple chps of the EK bio book confusing. Argh. Thx again :)

Members don't see this ad :)
MrDreamWeaver said:
Hi all,

Like many of you know, i'm planning on taking the MCAT this August; however, I have no completed my Biology sequence! The reason for me doing this is because the physical science section is very fresh in my mind and i'm very good at it. Argh, I haven't completed any Biology yet though.

SO i was wondering if someone can recommend some material for me. Is the EK bio book enough? It seems kind of dense and difficult to read at times... maybe someone can recommend a supplement CD lecture or book, I dunno? I have the campbell Bio book but it's a phone book, I don't want to waste any more time that I need to.

Thanks...I love you.

wait you haven't taken ANY biology? did you take organic? you're taking the mcat when? august of next year?

if you're taking it in august you have time to do at least some bio...

i was taking second semester bio while studying for the mcat, and realized that bio class didn't help so much. i ended up having to teach myself alot and learn much of it on my own. the kaplan book saved my ass. they are pretty thorough yet short enough to rip through it if you set a schedule for yourself.

thanks speed

i will be done with 1 of 2 organic chemistry courses. i hear the second isn't really needed.

i took the first general biology course but remember almost nothing (considering i took it a few years ago). basically, i will have to learn everything on my own.

so i was wondering if this is possible and what material i would need. currently, i only have the EK book (and the campbell bio book which i'm hesitating to open because of my time restraint).

thx

MrDreamWeaver said:
Thx crys :)

It looks like the EK study program by itself isn't going to be enough to get me through this...hehe. Yeah, I find the first couple chps of the EK bio book confusing. Argh. Thx again :)

Don't take the mcat until you at least have some ideas of what's going on in the EK bio books. Give Campbell's Biology text book a shot. It's the book that is widely used in college for intro to bio; I think it's pretty decent. Gotta learn to walk before you can run. Good luck, and don't frig up the bio section of the mcats.