Can someone tell me what they think of my supplemental essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andy1220

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please be as critical as you can. The prompt did not give a word limit either..
This is my first draft and I have not gone through it for grammatical errors yet. But any criticism on organization, thought process, etc. is greatly appreciated.

This essay is for LMU-DCOM:

Prompt: Medical school requires a huge commitment in time and energy. How have you prepared for this commitment?

I had just transferred to the University of Tennessee to begin my sophomore year of college when I received the news that my mom had been diagnosed with cancer. Shortly after, I arranged to finish the fall semester at UT and transfer back to the University of Rhode Island. With her being a single parent, and as close as we were to one another, the decision to act as her caregiver was a simple one. The two years that followed were trying for both of us.

The load on my shoulders felt too much to bare at times, but I managed one way or another. For the next three semesters, I split my time commuting to classes, and caring for my mother. We went to so many doctors it was hard to keep track of them all. There were week-long stays at the hospital for chemotherapy, appointments for radiation and regular check-ups. At first, she maintained her independence. But as the disease progressed, it became tougher for her to do things that used to be routine. I managed her medications, prepared meals, helped her get changed, and sorted through bills. After the scans came back post-chemotherapy, the treatment had proved to be futile.

Being the fighter that she was, she refused to let the disease get the best of her. We enrolled in a clinical trial at Dana Farber and were making the trip up to Boston once a week, sometimes more. There were days when I was drained, emotionally and physically, but there was no other choice but to push through. Her determination to fight on fueled my own. She was constantly worrying about how my involvement in her care was affecting my schoolwork. I studied twice as hard and stayed up twice as long to maintain my GPA, and made every effort to ease her concerns.

About halfway through the Spring semester of 2014 she passed away. It was then that I took a leave of absence and returned the following Fall. I knew that this was the best option for me as I needed time to grieve. These were the toughest years of my life, and to this day I wonder how I made it through. One thing I inherited from my mother was her determination. I am confident that after this experience, I will undoubtedly succeed in the rest of journey to becoming an osteopathic physician; not only for myself, but for my mom.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really sorry for your loss. Personally I think this is really great. I know there's no word limit but you could try trimming just a little bit of the verbiage, not much though. You definitely established pretty quickly that you had alot on your plate and show that you have an incredibly strong character throughout the entire experience, and it ultimately ties back into why you want to be a physician. I would shorten some of the details of all of the things you guys had to do (driving to boston, etc mostly in the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs) because I think you already establish all of the things going on it was and it that will draw more focus on how you overcame all of the stress and everything you went through. Hell, I could be wrong though! I think the ending is very strong, I love that you mention recognizing the need to take a leave of absence to grieve...makes you more relatable and human. Great job overall :)

First off all, I'm really sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you went through and the fact that you stayed strong through amazes me. You should be very proud of yourself for making it this far - I know you will go even farther.

Second, this is just a minor detail but I know that some adcoms do lurk on these forums so they might link up your essay to any of your previous posts through your username. Just something to be aware of!

The best advice I ever received regarding supplementals went something like this: many people write about their experiences by outlining their situation/describing what happened. Their story often speaks volumes and and shows a characteristic of themselves, something they have learned or something they have overcome. However, people often describe the story too much without describing their personal feelings about it. When you don't describe your feelings, its hard for the reader to see how you grew from the experience. The adcoms don't want to use "implied feelings" based on what you were going through, they want to know how you actually felt and how you grew from it.

For your secondary, talk more about your feelings. How did you feel when your mother was diagnosed? Were you scared, calm, determined to help? (This will translate to how you will act as a physician when placed in a critical situation). "The load on my shoulders felt too much [...] but I managed one way or another" Good! You're telling me how you feel! How did you manage? How did you motivate yourself on the days when it felt like too much? (You mention it a little bit later on that your mother's strength was motivating, touch upon this more). Cut back on describing your responsibilities - we know that you were dealing with a lot and that you had a ton on your plate. Instead, tell us more about yourself! How did you feel when you had to prepare your mother's medications and meals? How did it feel being a caretaker? (Again, this will tell adcoms a lot about your passion to help others). How did you continue to push yourself, despite everything going on around you? You discuss your mother's death and that you took the semester off to grieve, which I think is great because it shows that you are responsible.

Put yourself in the shoes of the adcom. You are looking for someone who is mature, responsible, knows what is ahead of them and is able to handle it - and you have to get all that from reading their essay. I know that what happened to your mother was a turning point in your life, but this story has a lot of implied feelings (you describing to me your weekly drives to Boston = I imply that you were feeling stressed). Tell me more about how you are feeling and how your feelings changed after your mother passed away. I think that will make your story stronger and will provide the adcom with more information about the type of person you are.

Best of luck OP! I know that you will be successful. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two really great responses -- thanks for the advice! Everything you both said makes a lot of sense. After I revise I will PM both of you to see what you think

Good essay. I am no expert but agree with the other two. Make sure they know how you grew from it and how that will make you a good physician. Sorry for your loss and way to keep pushing through despite tough times. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great.

bear* not bare

this is a good story, and thank you for sharing it with us.

however, I would suggest that you modify it to be more geared towards the prompt. it's written in such a storytelling mode that the reader, especially if in a rush, gets lost in the details and forgets the focus, which is "how will you handle the rigors of medical school." I would go back to the initial ideas of how an essay should be structured: main idea, details, conclusion. this shouldn't take away from any of the emotional commitment your essay demonstrates, but it will allow the reader to better grasp your capabilities.

lastly, your mother seemed to be a very strong individual and her experience was understandably pivotal in your life. however, this essay is about you and your journey, not hers. I recommend not focusing on her story as much as yours. it's fine to talk about her, but your response and growth is key.

good luck.