Can someone touch up on the "cycle" for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dniper71

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys, just ran across this site on google. I been having a tough time getting a clear answer on a few things.... I searched and all the sites give me vague answers that dont really get me anywhere.

I'm trying to figure out the best time frame to take the DATs and then applying to dental school. When is usually the best time to apply (assuming that Dental school starts every fall of each year) and how long before applying is it recommended to take the DATs?

My plan as of right now is to finish my Spring semester in undergrand (biochem major), take the whole summer off to concentrate on studying for the DATs, taking the DATs in the end of the summer and then applying to dental schools for possibly the Fall of 08?

This is where I have a problem, if I take the DATs in the middle/end of summer of 2008, is it going ot be too late to try hitting the Fall of 2008 for schools..... and better to apply for the Fall of 2009 semester? As you can see, I'm kinda confused on this whole cycle issue so if you guys can clear me up on it it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up guys, just ran across this site on google. I been having a tough time getting a clear answer on a few things.... I searched and all the sites give me vague answers that dont really get me anywhere.

I'm trying to figure out the best time frame to take the DATs and then applying to dental school. When is usually the best time to apply (assuming that Dental school starts every fall of each year) and how long before applying is it recommended to take the DATs?

My plan as of right now is to finish my Spring semester in undergrand (biochem major), take the whole summer off to concentrate on studying for the DATs, taking the DATs in the end of the summer and then applying to dental schools for possibly the Fall of 08?

This is where I have a problem, if I take the DATs in the middle/end of summer of 2008, is it going ot be too late to try hitting the Fall of 2008 for schools..... and better to apply for the Fall of 2009 semester? As you can see, I'm kinda confused on this whole cycle issue so if you guys can clear me up on it it'll be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

you're not getting into the entering 2008 class, sorry. you haven't taken the DAT, prepared your application, submitted your application, etc..that stuff all takes a good bit of time to take care of. the best advice to give someone applying is APPLY EARLY. most schools know who their upcomming class is by january. so what is early?? june/july is a good time to turn in your apps. i would try to take the DAT as close to that time, if not before, as you can. so if you want to apply for the 2009 class, take the DAT in april, send in apps in may, and then if your scores suck, you still have plenty of time to take the test again before it gets too late.

do a search on SDN for any other answers regarding application processes.

Essentially, you need to apply a year in advance, so apply Fall 2007 for Fall 2008 entry. Try reading SDN's dental wiki or do a search.

Essentially, you need to apply a year in advance, so apply Fall 2007 for Fall 2008 entry. Try reading SDN's dental wiki or do a search.

what are some key words i should search this forum for to find what i need? i'm not sure of the name of the topic i need info on.

Members don't see this ad :)
what are some key words i should search this forum for to find what i need? i'm not sure of the name of the topic i need info on.

dental school application process - in any order you'd like. try leaving out some of them and you will get a different amount of forums. you'll find ALL your answers on the subject if you look for them.

but previous post pretty much wrapped it up. apply in 2007 for 2008 entering class.

I also found that Buffalo had a pretty good overview of the application process. The site indicated it was created/updated in 2002, but I believe the content is still pretty good. If anything, admissions are becoming more competitive, so I would imagine the requirements/importance of items is more significant. The site is:

http://student.sdm.buffalo.edu/prosapp.html

Good luck