can telling a program that they're your #1 hurt you??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plasticsday1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard anecdotally that an applicant told his number one residency choice that they're his number one. As a result, the program actually ranked him lower than they would have if he had said nothing, because they thought he'd be a sure thing and they didn't need to rank him too high to still get him.

But that's stupid right? If the program wanted him more than the people ranked higher than him, they would have still done so because they might otherwise get stuck with people they don't want as much?

So basically my question is: is there any harm in telling a program you know for sure is your number 1 that they are in fact your number 1? Or can it only help? Assuming of course that you say this to just that program and to none others

Members don't see this ad.

If that anecdote is true, you're right, it is stupid.

Both the program and applicant should rank each other based on preference and not on based what nice *cough*BS*cough* words are said.

I don't think there is any harm in telling a program they're a top choice. Telling a bunch of programs that they're your #1 is problematic, and if program directors find out, you're in hot water.

There's an article on letter of intents to notify/remind a program that you are very interested in them: About Sending a Letter Of Intent | Match A Resident

With that said, it may not even help. I know at my radiology program, immediately post-interview, we're ranking the candidates we've seen that day. What happens behind closed doors and under the discretion of the PD near Rank Order List deadline, I can't say. Maybe he/she does look on letters of intent favorably.

Every year there are multiple threads titled "I told program A they were my #1, but now I 've changed my mind and Program B will be my #1. What do I do?". Don't be that guy/gal.

Otherwise, there's likely no effect, maybe a slight benefit esp for small programs. But this is not something to lose sleep over.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
N=1

I told my top program that they were my top program a couple weeks before list finalization. Matched there.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with expressing your interest in your top program, with two caveats. You truly rank that as your number one; people talk, and if a program ranks you highly and you don’t match there, they will know you lied; this could screw you in the future. You don’t tell more than one program that they’re your top program; again, people talk, and this could cause problems if it gets out that you’ve done this.

It absolutely cannot hurt you if it is the truth. Does it actually help? Idk.

Another n=1

My program a couple weeks before ROL submission told me I was not rank to match but that since no one gets literally all their top choices, I was basically still guaranteed to match, but they still had one more meeting to discuss the list before submission. A few days later I told them they were my #1, a few days after my e-mail they told me they had their final meeting and I was now rank to match.

Just depends on the program. Generally speaking it will do nothing for you or help you to a degree. It will only rarely hurt you. I know of a program that got burned twice by students claiming they were their #1 and then matching elsewhere, so a couple faculty roll their eyes and are very suspicious when they hear that from a studen nowt. Whether or not it actually affects how they rank is questionable.

But don't be stupid about it. Don't tell a program they're you're number 1 when it's December and you still have 6 interviews left. Programs see through that all the time. If they get the impression you're disingenuous, then yeah it can hurt.

As a result, the program actually ranked him lower than they would have if he had said nothing, because they thought he'd be a sure thing and they didn't need to rank him too high to still get him.

That's not how the match works....

It's likely the program filled before getting down to that particular applicant.

Here is what I've been told among the orthopaedic programs, where playing the game like this is more common. The short answer to this is that, in general, it does not hurt you if it truly is your #1.

You're not obligated to volunteer this information (and it's illegal for programs to ask), but it'll be a boost for you if the program liked you AND you tell them that they're your #1.

However, interviews, rank lists and match are all a big political game. Play it smart and don't go around saying stupid things.Also, never trust a program that says that they're going to rank-to-match you. Words are useless until you sign that paper. I have a friend that got burned this way

Here is what I've been told among the orthopaedic programs, where playing the game like this is more common. The short answer to this is that, in general, it does not hurt you if it truly is your #1.

You're not obligated to volunteer this information (and it's illegal for programs to ask), but it'll be a boost for you if the program liked you AND you tell them that they're your #1.

However, interviews, rank lists and match are all a big political game. Play it smart and don't go around saying stupid things.Also, never trust a program that says that they're going to rank-to-match you. Words are useless until you sign that paper. I have a friend that got burned this way
Did your friend actually get told he was "rank to match?" I've always wondered how many programs actually lie that blatantly (i'm sure it has happened) vs what I think actually happens way more often which is the program says something like "ranking you highly," "you are one of our top applicants" or "looking forward to seeing you in July" and people interpret that to mean "rank to match," when the program never actually said so.

on a related note, can I still tell other programs that "i'm extremely interested" without explicitly saying they're my number 1, if i've already told another program that they are explicitly my #1?

on a related note, can I still tell other programs that "i'm extremely interested" without explicitly saying they're my number 1, if i've already told another program that they are explicitly my #1?
Yes, but all the programs will know that you are telling them they are not your #1

Did your friend actually get told he was "rank to match?" I've always wondered how many programs actually lie that blatantly (i'm sure it has happened) vs what I think actually happens way more often which is the program says something like "ranking you highly," "you are one of our top applicants" or "looking forward to seeing you in July" and people interpret that to mean "rank to match," when the program never actually said so.
Yes. He ranked them number 1 based on this statement. It was very illegal for this program to do so, but it's good to be aware that this could happen.

The only exception that I know of is HSS, where they send you an email before the match saying that you're RTM, but this is always the real deal from what I've heard.

You're my sidepiece residency

Reactions: 2 users