Can the military see my entire medical records?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gunner4ever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

During college one night, I got too drunk and woke up in the hospital. Wasn't alcohol poisoning or anything, but I guess I just fell asleep somewhere outside and someone called an ambulance.

Is something like this something I need to list? I don't actually even drink at all anymore. When we supply them with medical records, is it an all or nothing deal?

Applying for Army and AF HPSP,

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I never gave them any medical records at all. I just filled out the questionnaire honestly. If you check something on the form, then you have to track it down record-wise, but they don't go to all the hospitals or doctors you've ever seen and double check what you're saying. That said, if you've had major surgery, and during your physical exam at MEPS they note it, but you never said anything, I could see a problem there.

Moral of the story is, be honest. The "disqualifying" parts of the health exam are as much for you as for them. They want able bodied servicemen and women, not to discriminate against those who have certain conditions, but because those conditions make it harder for both you and them to perform your jobs. In the military, you are a soldier/sailor/airman/marine first, dentist second. Example: even though you'll be sitting in a chair most the time, if you have a problem with your legs, they won't be able to use you because your dental job is second to your military job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok but I've had a couple of surgeries so I assume I would need to send records for those... Would all my history not get I included? That's what I'm trying to understand

Even if it is, I imagine one isolated incident while you were in college won't impact your overall application all that much as long as everything else is in order.

Ok but I've had a couple of surgeries so I assume I would need to send records for those... Would all my history not get I included? That's what I'm trying to understand
Why would you have a couple of surgeries for drinking too much?

The examiners are very good at catching people who are trying to withhold info. If the MEPS examiner sees your surgical scars and they are not listed on your 2807/2808, it raises lots of suspicion. Don't try hiding anything.

Unrelated. Orthognathic and appendicitis
That's my point. When you say it's no big deal just one ER visit in undergrad, then it comes out that you've had appendicitis and orthognathic work, it will attract more scrutiny. You can't not list things in your medical history and expect it won't be noticed in the future.
But then again what do I know? It's not like I've been through this process and have extensive knowledge of anything....

Reactions: 1 users
That's my point. When you say it's no big deal just one ER visit in undergrad, then it comes out that you've had appendicitis and orthognathic work, it will attract more scrutiny. You can't not list things in your medical history and expect it won't be noticed in the future.
But then again what do I know? It's not like I've been through this process and have extensive knowledge of anything....

My question still hasn't been answered...

I'm planning to list those other things. I'm asking, if I list those but not the drunken night, will my drinker night show up?

Basically, when they get my records for what I list, do they get my ENTIRE medical record of every doctor visit etc.?

I'm planning to list those other things. I'm asking, if I list those but not the drunken night, will my drinker night show up?

Basically, when they get my records for what I list, do they get my ENTIRE medical record of every doctor visit etc.?

They might. Better to list any and all hospitalizations.

Reactions: 1 user

Big Brother sees all.

Reactions: 1 users

At risk of sounding like a total jerk:

Do any of us work in hospital record systems, particularly the ones to which you've been a patron? Probably not, so understanding the inner workings of said facilities is beyond us.

Just answer the questionnaire honestly, then give them records for things the questionnaire talks about.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Military does not have access to your medical documents. We only get what you give us. You do sign a release to your medical information but it is only for the information you give us freely. HIPPA laws and all that.

I requested my medical files directly from Kaiser. And then went through them all and picked out the relevant information that was needed to answer their questionnaire correctly.

I requested my medical files directly from Kaiser. And then went through them all and picked out the relevant information that was needed to answer their questionnaire correctly.

So they never saw your actual files? You just answered yourself and that was it?

So they never saw your actual files? You just answered yourself and that was it?
No, I answered the questions and supplied them the medical documents supporting it. For example, I had surgery on my meniscus. I went through all my medical files and found the ones dealing with that surgery. I sent those files to them. But I had many medical documents that I never sent them because it just wasn't relevant to anything they wanted to know about me.

No, I answered the questions and supplied them the medical documents supporting it. For example, I had surgery on my meniscus. I went through all my medical files and found the ones dealing with that surgery. I sent those files to them. But I had many medical documents that I never sent them because it just wasn't relevant to anything they wanted to know about me.

Thank you!!!