Can these letters of recommendation be used?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmilad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have had some confusion as which letters I can use. I am getting two letters of recommendations from research labs. One from a Psychology Lab and the Other from a Neuroscience lab.
Do these count as my science based letters?

I also have a letter from a hospital volunteer program called CareExtenders, can this be used as a none science letter although its not by a professor at the school?

Furthermore I have a letter from the CEO and founder of an international NeuroImaging society for my work as the student leader. Can this letter be used as a none science letter?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I have had some confusion as which letters I can use. I am getting two letters of recommendations from research labs. One from a Psychology Lab and the Other from a Neuroscience lab.
Do these count as my science based letters?

I also have a letter from a hospital volunteer program called CareExtenders, can this be used as a none science letter although its not by a professor at the school?

Furthermore I have a letter from the CEO and founder of an international NeuroImaging society for my work as the student leader. Can this letter be used as a none science letter?

Thanks for your help.

I know many of the schools want 2 science letters, and one from another professor...but USUALLY these are from professors that taught you not just that you worked for. I think you will find yourself in trouble if you only use employment letters. You really should have recs from professors who taught you and know you. You can supplement at many schools with the others you've mentioned..but get academic letters.

I know many of the schools want 2 science letters, and one from another professor...but USUALLY these are from professors that taught you not just that you worked for. I think you will find yourself in trouble if you only use employment letters. You really should have recs from professors who taught you and know you. You can supplement at many schools with the others you've mentioned..but get academic letters.

Agreed.

To play it safe, I'd have:
- Two letters from professors who teach science classes that you took. (Not sure that a psychology class would count, btw)
- One letter from a professor who teaches a non-science class that you took.

And then, as the above poster said, supplement w/ the ones you mentioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I see, just to elaborate those are not labs that I just work with those are SRP labs which we take as a class and are graded by the professor through out university. Just to clarify if that makes a difference.

Most secondary applications will be fairly specific about what they want, but every one I can remember had at least two letters from professors. I used two professors, a coach, and a boss/PI. However, if you've been out of school a while it might be worth it to call the schools you want to apply to, explain that these people know you better than any professor since you've been out of school X number of years, and they might let you go with that.

i'd check the specific school's websites for what they want... some say 'professors that have taught you in a class' whereas some just ask for letters from 'science faculty'. if its the latter than your letters should be ok, whereas the former might be iffy (and you can probably call the school to clarify it).

who writes those CE letters anyways?

Well to get the letter you have to be nominated by the hospital staff and the letter is written by the Organization UCLA CareExtenders. Looks like I gotta get me some professors just as backup though. Thanks for the input guys.

Well to get the letter you have to be nominated by the hospital staff and the letter is written by the Organization UCLA CareExtenders. Looks like I gotta get me some professors just as backup though. Thanks for the input guys.

i am just wondering what that CE letter entails. i mean do they just say, jim did rotations in pharm, radiology, ER and LKC and always showed up on time? it just doesnt seem like the person writing it really knows the person they are writing about.