Can We do a Renewal FAFSA for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starrydreamer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always just done a renewal fafsa for undergrad, but now that we're gonna be applying for aid for med school, does this mean we should start a new FAFSA and can't just fill out the renewal fafsa anymore?

Thanks!!

P.S. does anyone know when ucsd's fafsa deadline is?

Members don't see this ad.

I've always just done a renewal fafsa for undergrad, but now that we're gonna be applying for aid for med school, does this mean we should start a new FAFSA and can't just fill out the renewal fafsa anymore?

Thanks!!

ditto

Thanks!!

Yes, you can do a renewal FASFA. FAFSA will remember you from undergrad. If you have done a FAFSA before you will use the same pin you used for undergrad. Hopefully, you have it, but you can contact the FAFSA site if you need it resent. When you get on the site, after filling in the basic questions, birthdate, SS, pin, FAFSA will remember you and ask you if want to update your information. You will answer, yes. You can review or change your previous information, such as your address, to make sure it is still accurate. Now that you are attending graduate school you will be considered an independent, and FAFSA will ask you if you want to provide your parent's information. Obviously, if you elect not to provide that information the form will be a little quicker to fill out. However, many schools will require this information for need based aid such as the Perkins, Health Professions Loan and other institutional aid. Your parent's information is not a factor in obtaining the maximum Stafford and Grad Plus Loans. I would contact UCSD to find out their deadline; however, filing the FAFSA, as expedited as possible, is always best. Good Luck.