Can we use our Pharm.D.'s in other countries?

Started by Jack555
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jack555

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if we can work in other countries with our Pharm.D. Are there any countries that pay a similar wage? thanks a lot for any help google doesn't seem to have much information on it.
 
Last I heard you can work for WHO, but they don't take very many US PharmDs. I've got a coworker (intern) who's taking the summer off to do an internship at a pharma company in Spain. Not sure how that works or what the pay is, but it sounds at least possible.
 
A buddy of mine moved to Israel and they accepted his PharmD, he just had to pass their licensing test. He says that things are much different over there. Everything is unit dose packaged, when a patient brings in a prescription you walk to the shelf, grab what you need and hand it to them with the appropriate directions for use. What he doesn't like is that he makes about one-fifth of what we earn here
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the responses. Anyone have additional information?
 
Depends on the country. That's about as good a responce as your question can get.

In Germany, pay is very similar to what it is here, but there is very limited demand AND the US degree isn't worth much because it is drastically different from German degree. You need to know German too.

In fact, I can't think of a European country where you can sit for licensure withouth additional education and knowing the local language. In the UK, it's relatively easy since it is English (though it's a bit different kind of English 😀) and you would only need a year or two of coursework before being eligible for licensure there.

I know that US degree is accepted in a number of Middle Eastern countries - Saudi Arabia, I think, possibly Lebanon and Egypt, but I can't vouch for them. I knew a lady who worked in Saudi Arabia with her US degree, but I have no idea about the pay.
 
Depends on the country. That's about as good a responce as your question can get.

In Germany, pay is very similar to what it is here, but there is very limited demand AND the US degree isn't worth much because it is drastically different from German degree. You need to know German too.

In fact, I can't think of a European country where you can sit for licensure withouth additional education and knowing the local language. In the UK, it's relatively easy since it is English (though it's a bit different kind of English 😀) and you would only need a year or two of coursework before being eligible for licensure there.

I know that US degree is accepted in a number of Middle Eastern countries - Saudi Arabia, I think, possibly Lebanon and Egypt, but I can't vouch for them. I knew a lady who worked in Saudi Arabia with her US degree, but I have no idea about the pay.

Just for interest sake, what degree is the German equivalent called? Something like Bachelor of Master of Pharmacy? And how long is their program? And can you work in US army base with just the knowledge of English? And do you need to have a US Green Card in order to be qualified?

Thanks
 
As for working on a US military base, there are a couple of options: you could either join the US Military as a Pharmacy officer, or work for the federal government (either in the Federal Civil Service System or possibly as part of the Comissioned Public Health Service). Either way you would be working for the US government, and would live and work on the base. You would not need to know the local language (English only), and would need to be licensed to practice in at least one US state, territory or posession. I believe (but am not sure) you would need to be a US citizen as well. For more information, go to http://www.usajobs.com/ (the federal service website) and type in "pharmacist" in the search box. Or you could go to the public health website and look around. http://www.usphs.gov/ If you are interested in joining the military, contact the particular branch you are interested in and see what they have to offer. I know some people on SDN have joined the military, so maybe you could look through the forums for more information.

If you are asking about working, say, as a German national on a US Army base in Germany, all I know is that you would still be working for the US government and the hiring would usually be done locally (at least it was in Okinawa when I was there). And yes, you would need to speak English. If this is your situation/interest, then I woud suggest contacting the particular army base that you are intersted in working at. All major bases have a civilian personnel office and they would be able to answer your questions.

hope this helps
 
New Zealand will license you with a test. But don't go there because I was already planning on moving and defaulting on all my student loans.
 
New Zealand will license you with a test. But don't go there because I was already planning on moving and defaulting on all my student loans.

Nothing to worry, NZ is NOT even on my list. And so many Kiwis are eager to move to Australia.