Can you 2014ers do me a favor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey 2014ers...I'm thrilled for all you that you got in, but if you aren't starting vet school for nearly another 6 months...well, how can I put this delicately...can you like, not put "veterinary student" in your status under your avatar until you actually start vet school? Even when I *knocks on wood* pass boards next fall or next spring, I don't think I'll be switching it to "veterinarian" until I have diploma in hand. ;) Thanks for the favor...

Members don't see this ad.

...Why do you even care? Seems like kind of a petty thing to care about. Almost a high school mentality if you ask me.

Yah but you don't know if you're going to pass boards (I hope you do, but you don't know). However, if we got accepted, we've accomplished the hard part (our 'boards') yes? We're technically veterinary students, all we have to do is start.

Once you pass boards you'll change it to veterinarian right? Or will you wait until you start your first job?

Members don't see this ad :)
It may be my OCD kicking in (which is why I am trying to say it as diplomatically as possible), but not only is it confusing, but it's...oh, I dunno...not really true yet? Did you say you were a college student when you were a high school senior?

You know, feeling that way is one thing. But to actually have the audacity to ask people not to do it, when it is absolutely none of your business, is amazing. Really.

Yah but you don't know if you're going to pass boards (I hope you do, but you don't know). However, if we got accepted, we've accomplished the hard part (our 'boards') yes? We're technically veterinary students, all we have to do is start.

Once you pass boards you'll change it to veterinarian right? Or will you wait until you start your first job?

If you went around the teaching hospital expecting the clients, interns, residents, and attendings to address you as Doctor or call yourself a veterinarian before you actually graduated even after passing boards, you'd probably be corrected. Swiftly. And not in a nice way like I'm trying to do, guys...

I don't think anyone is claiming anything untrue here. It's not like they're going around screaming in the streets that they are in vet school at this very moment. Let's keep SDN the loving family we know it to be. :)

Very well, then substitute 'graduation' for 'boards'. But you'll change it after you graduate, I assume? Not when you get a job?

Does it really matter if people change their status now or on day 1 when classes start or even when orientation starts? Most people also have that they are class of 2014 so you know that they do not start school until the fall, so is it really that big of a deal? I really do not think it matters.

Yeah, but if you are saying you're a veterinary student, that implies you are in vet med school right now, not 5-6 months from now. ;) Definitely be proud you got in, but you're not a vet student til you've actually started vet school.

Very well, then substitute 'boards' for 'graduation'. But you'll change it after you graduate, I assume? Not when you get a job?

Not sure about the other schools, but many fourth years at our school end their clinical rotations on a free block (myself included). So if they have a job already lined up, a lot of people go ahead and start their first job like a month or more before they actually graduate, but they don't have their DVM and can't legally practice independently yet. In that case, they are technically called externships/preceptorships even though they may be getting paid for it. But to answer your question, I would not call myself a doctor or veterinarian until I've got that DVM degree for legal and because it's not good form.

Electrophile...well, how can I put this delicately...nah, forget all this passive aggressive nonsense: would it be terribly impossible for you to kindly remove that gigantic rod currently lodged in your backside? I'm sure everyone here would appreciate it. Maybe instead of trolling the forums of SDN, you could do something productive with your time. Cheers!

This seems like a silly thing to be arguing about....

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does this even matter?? People are free to do what they want.

Let's make this a love fest thread. I think we can all agree that puppies and kittens are really cute, and that's all that really matters

Does it really matter if people change their status now or on day 1 when classes start or even when orientation starts? Most people also have that they are class of 2014 so you know that they do not start school until the fall, so is it really that big of a deal? I really do not think it matters.

Oh, I don't care about the 2014 thing. I'd eventually like to do a residency and finish by say, 2016 or 2017. I guess I could put something like 2016 residency class hopeful on my sig or something. But I wouldn't change my status to resident before I start the residency. You're not in vet school until you're *in* vet school.

Why does this even matter?? People are free to do what they want.

I have to agree with electrophile on this one.

When you read threads you look and see who the posts are made by. And no one accepted from the 2014 class(except maybe the UK 5 year students) can give any perspective on an issue about veterinary school before they have actually started. And there are plenty of newbie/lurkers who will see "Veterinary Student" listed under their name and assume they have first hand experience.

Electrophile...well, how can I put this delicately...nah, forget all this passive aggressive nonsense: would it be terribly impossible for you to kindly remove that gigantic rod currently lodged in your backside? I'm sure everyone here would appreciate it. Maybe instead of trolling the forums of SDN, you could do something productive with your time. Cheers!

You created an account TODAY just to be able to say that? Talk about trolling...

ETA: And I do kind of agree. Especially with the way David put it. Makes sense.

Isn't this the Pre-Veterinary forum anyway?..... There is a completely separate forum for current Vet students.

When you read threads you look and see who the posts are made by. And no one accepted from the 2014 class(except maybe the UK 5 year students) can give any perspective on an issue about veterinary school before they have actually started. And there are plenty of newbie/lurkers who will see "Veterinary Student" listed under their name and assume they have first hand experience.

Excellent catch. Yes, that's precisely what I meant above about:

but not only is it confusing, but it's...oh, I dunno...not really true yet?

I understand that and agree with you, but I really am not seeing too many 2014ers doing that to make it seem like such a problem.

I get the point Electrophile is trying to make that claiming veterinary student status when you are not yet in vet school can be misleading.

Yet at the same time, people do stupid things/things we don't agree with all the time and just because we don't like it isn't going to change how they feel about it or what they do. Really guys, its the internet. What someone's status says is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. But once you figure out how to get the world to follow your desires, please tell me so Ed Hardy can be abolished

But once you figure out how to get the world to follow your desires, please tell me so Ed Hardy can be abolished

Right now, I desire two things. I want to actually get into vet school so that I can BE a vet student and have to worry about things like this.

And it would be totally awesome if it would stop raining....

I understand that and agree with you, but I really am not seeing too many 2014ers doing that to make it seem like such a problem.

Yeah, most don't. But it's more of a public service announcement to those who do who may not even realize that is can be both confusing and not really accurate. That is all. :)

I agree with Electrophile as well. Just because my SO has been accepted to med school and will start this summer doesn't mean he's a med student yet. It just isn't technically true.

I don't think it should be that big of a deal though... Saying that you're "such-and-such school class of 2014" in your signature or something is adequate clarification to me.

Cowgirla, I don't know about the rain but :luck: with your waitlists. Do you still have any to hear back from?

Seriously??? Talk about some bored kid with nothing else to do with their time. Go troll somewhere else. :troll:

Electrophile, I see your point. It can get confusing to newbies who just see veterinary student and do not know that the class of 2014 has not *technically* started vet school yet, but I am in NO position to tell people what to do/ not to do. If they want to be excited about their acceptance and change their status to veterinary student now instead of in August/September than that is fine with me. If they want to wait until vet school actually starts, then fine with me. If they want to wait until they finish a semester of vet school and feel like they have a good handle on school, then fine with me. That is a personal choice and it is not my position to tell anyone what they can or can not do. Just to maybe say it might be slightly confusing to newbies, but they can always tell them they have not quite started vet school yet.

Oh come now, no need to get vulgar. And as someone else said, you come across much more troll-like with your first post than Electrophile ever will.

Anyhow I can see how it could be confusing, and truth be told I sat for a couple seconds while I was on my profile page debating if I should change it now or wait, but since I was updating things on my profile anyhow, I went ahead and checked it then instead of going back in 6 months. The title clarifies it and if anyone's truly confused, they can ask.

The most confusing scenario would be someone who's familiar with med school and rolling admissions, and then when they ask when to apply, they'll find out we don't do rolling admissions and that'll clear that up. Any newbie curious on where to start is going to ask when to apply any how.

Last edited:
Cowgirla, I don't know about the rain but :luck: with your waitlists. Do you still have any to hear back from?

Interviewed at PEI on thursday, so them. There's a letter from OK-State waiting for me when I get home on Monday, no idea what that will hold :-/ And Oregon, which is just confusing me at this point because I have no idea what they're doing

:thumbup:

I noticed that someone had already changed their thing, and I probably snorted to myself and that was it. I don't recall who it was. I don't think it's worth making a stink about... maybe a polite PM addressing the issue would have been more effective?

I love knowing that people are using SDN as a resource, but I hope that no one takes what people say here that terribly seriously, be them pre-vet, vet student, or even veterinarian. It's all just advice, and there's no 'proof' that we are whatever we say we are, you know? On the Internet, everything goes with a grain of salt, period.

I also get that it's kind of an 'honor' to make that status change (and I'll admit I was certainly excited about the possibility) but there's not an official point where it changes. Most people just choose to wait.

Seriously??? Talk about some bored kid with nothing else to do with their time. Go troll somewhere else. :troll:

Electrophile, I see your point. It can get confusing to newbies who just see veterinary student and do not know that the class of 2014 has not *technically* started vet school yet, but I am in NO position to tell people what to do/ not to do. If they want to be excited about their acceptance and change their status to veterinary student now instead of in August/September than that is fine with me. If they want to wait until vet school actually starts, then fine with me. If they want to wait until they finish a semester of vet school and feel like they have a good handle on school, then fine with me. That is a personal choice and it is not my position to tell anyone what they can or can not do. Just to maybe say it might be slightly confusing to newbies, but they can always tell them they have not quite started vet school yet.

Yes...and that's why I also asked it as a favor/request (see title of thread) and have kept quite polite, despite some of the rather snarky pre-vets in the thread responding otherwise. ;) If a fourth year vet student wanted to be called Doctor before they graduated, even if they passed boards, I can assure that the actual doctors from interns all the way on up would not be nearly as polite. This would be a more likely response: :slap:

There's a letter from OK-State waiting for me when I get home on Monday, no idea what that will hold :-/
:thumbup:
Wait, there's a letter sitting there right now? Tell somebody to open it and read it to you!!!!!!!!!

Yes...and that's why I also asked it as a favor/request (see title of thread) and have kept quite polite, despite some of the rather snarky pre-vets in the thread responding otherwise. ;) If a fourth year vet student wanted to be called Doctor before they graduated, even if they passed boards, I can assure that the actual doctors from interns all the way on up would not be nearly as polite. This would be a more likely response: :slap:

Snarky pre-vets :eek:. I RESENT that! :p I do not think anyone here is really snarky, just stating their opinions. (Only exception is the troll that posted above but they do not count.)

Holy poop cowgirla, how on Earth are you not going completely insane??

... Is is a fat letter or a skinny letter? My heart dropped into the pit of my stomach when I realized I had a skinny letter in my hands. It's no bueno.

No, you were fine and I don't mind opinions. I was not spoiling for a fight in creating the thread, I promise. That's why I made it as a request from the get go and not a general rant. ;)

But I also think that people (particularly high school students who may not be familiar with which class is actually *in* vet school at the moment) do take a LOT of things everyone says pretty seriously. That's why they are here is for good advice from people who have gone through the process, right? God knows that most high school guidance counselors and even a good chunk of pre-professional advisers in community college or university aren't familar with the vet school application process and what to expect as far as lifestyle, etc and whatnot goes in general.

Plus twelvetigers is right. That time when you actually start class (I remember for me, it was the first time putting on the scrubs and lab coat for anatomy lab) is a distinctly different moment than getting the big envelope and something to be proud of. And then reality hits and you realize how much anatomy sucks and it's all downhill. :laugh:

If a fourth year vet student wanted to be called Doctor before they graduated, even if they passed boards, I can assure that the actual doctors from interns all the way on up would not be nearly as polite. This would be a more likely response: :slap:

I don't mean to take sides on anything – this just reminded me of an anecdote.

I had a roommate in college who was pre-med, and everywhere he worked or hung out, he somehow contrived to get himself the nickname "Dr." or "Doc." He'd wear a lab coat whenever he could, and dispense medical advice despite having no better source than a fascination with WebMD.

It made me absolutely furious, mostly because I'm totally punctilious in my use of honorific titles, going as far as to dig up people's CVs to figure out what pre-nominal title to use when writing them a letter. I figure that people work hard for their titles, and they deserve to have them used properly.

Fast forward to now, and he's still way behind on his med school schedule, scoring too low on his MCAT to apply and missing prereqs, so he's working as a graveyard shift flunky at the hospital while he tries to make that application competitive. I have no proof that it's karmic retribution for taking the honorific early that's delayed his ability to get it for real, but it'd be poetic justice if it was.

I had a roommate in college who was pre-med, and everywhere he worked or hung out, he somehow contrived to get himself the nickname "Dr." or "Doc." He'd wear a lab coat whenever he could, and dispense medical advice despite having no better source than a fascination with WebMD.
Fired Up! anyone?

I'll admit it. I lolled.

The words underneath your avatar on this forum are A Very Big Deal, you see, because blah blah blah and furthermore ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

I don't mean to take sides on anything – this just reminded me of an anecdote.

It made me absolutely furious, mostly because I'm totally punctilious in my use of honorific titles, going as far as to dig up people's CVs to figure out what pre-nominal title to use when writing them a letter. I figure that people work hard for their titles, and they deserve to have them used properly.

Fast forward to now, and he's still way behind on his med school schedule, scoring too low on his MCAT to apply and missing prereqs, so he's working as a graveyard shift flunky at the hospital while he tries to make that application competitive. I have no proof that it's karmic retribution for taking the honorific early that's delayed his ability to get it for real, but it'd be poetic justice if it was.
maybe too much dreamin'...not enough doin'?

NOW I HAVE NO IDENTITY I AM THE STATUSLESS GRADUATE STUDENT DUUUUNNNN

how will anybody know how to judge my posts without a little status on the side~~~!~!~

NOW I HAVE NO IDENTITY I AM THE STATUSLESS GRADUATE STUDENT DUUUUNNNN

how will anybody know how to judge my posts without a little status on the side~~~!~!~
Easy-your oversized avatar says that you are "special"

Don't worry about people not being able to judge your posts, nyanko. As comedian Bill Engvall would say,

img.php

lol you're the one getting all up in arms over a box people check in their profile on an internet forum.

i don't think i'm the one who needs a sign....

Status
Not open for further replies.