Can you 2014ers do me a favor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you read threads you look and see who the posts are made by. And no one accepted from the 2014 class(except maybe the UK 5 year students) can give any perspective on an issue about veterinary school before they have actually started. And there are plenty of newbie/lurkers who will see "Veterinary Student" listed under their name and assume they have first hand experience.

Oh, good grief. So the fact that everybody also has "Class of 2014" on their status doesn't tell you that these people are just entering? And show me one post where a newly-accepted student has been giving perspective on the life of a vet student??? Let's see it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be that person that gets excited to change her status but holds back and then completely forgets. I'll be the DVM in the community with the "pre-veterinary student" status, if you ever need to find me! :)

Following the 'logic' presented in this thread, shouldn't all those of us with "<college> c/o 2014" also be urged to change it back to whatever we were before? Because technically we're not the class of 2014 until we matriculate and actually enroll. That should probably be added to the bill as well. It's the exact same concept, after all.

Check mark boxes: serious business.

Members don't see this ad :)
Following the 'logic' presented in this thread, shouldn't all those of us with "<college> c/o 2014" also be urged to change it back to whatever we were before? Because technically we're not the class of 2014 until we matriculate and actually enroll. That should probably be added to the bill as well. It's the exact same concept, after all.

Check mark boxes: serious business.

LOL, technically, I haven't gotten the official letter in the mail yet.
Technically, I haven't sent in my deposit.
Technically, I haven't submitted other required documents.
Technically, I haven't enrolled.

But I would still like to have my "Western U c/o 2014" under my avatar thanks :laugh: I'm still on cloud 9 from being accepted...NOTHING is gonna bring me down :love:

look i'm sorry but if you are not actually j peterman the clothing catalog magnate i am simply going to have to ask you nicely to change your nick to something more appropriate for you see if i were looking for an appropriate dress to wear to a social gathering i would expect that j peterman would have first hand experience in helping me find one and furthermore i

I was saying that your comment was the zing for the record...you definitely don't need a sign ;) (besides, Bill Engvall sucks!). I think that it took some serious balls to post this thread. And if i were the real j peterman...oh man...life would be sweet. Maybe I should change my nick to "SociallyAwkward" :laugh:

EDIT: I commend your knowledge of Seinfeld!

Last edited:
One of the first things I did after my acceptance was sail with the captain. You can bring whoever you like as long as you are ok with sharing.

One of the first things I did after my acceptance was sail with the captain. You can bring whoever you like as long as you are ok with sharing.

Thumbs up! After I got my waitlist at Tufts and rejection from UPenn in the same week, me and Blue Moon spent a lot of time together. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)

Love it! I was supposed to have a good time with him this weekend (we get 2 days off class for St. Pat's... the one good thing about going to an engineering school) but I was exhausted from working while everyone was partying...

Things I've learned from this thread:
1) interwebs. srs bznss.
2) Some people care too much about a mostly unregulated internet forum where 98% of the people are anonymous.
3) People love getting worked up about titles, even when they don't have them yet. Pro tip: Many people calling themselves "Dr" aren't really a doctor even. Go get mad at "Dr." Sheila Johnson or Dr. Phil (oh come on his PhD is in psych for crissakes) before you go getting all worked up about some excited kids getting into vet school and then being excited on a non-official internet forum.
4) Nyanko can e-bully like nobody's business. High five Nyanko, we're totally gonna kick it when we both (hopefully, for the love of god, cause I don't want to leave Cali) get into Davis.

In conclusion, from now on please address me as HRH quantized.
That is all.

This thread was great for a humorous break from studying for finals. I really don't care enough in either direction to make a huff about it, but if someone wants to change their status because they're excited about an acceptance, who cares?! For all any of you know I could be some old guy creeper in a basement pretending to be a vet student; no one should take anything here all that seriously.

This thread has also made me realize that awesome people apply to UC Davis, and I will proudly welcome both nyanko and quantized when they're accepted! But I will not congratulate them, since (obviously) they will not be official vet students yet. :rolleyes:

As a "little first year" (Electrophile's words from a previous thread), I might chuckle a little if I see a c/o 2014er with "Veterinary Student" status, but only because it means they're sooooo eager they can't wait to be a vet student. I really doubt any of them is going to start responding to people pretending they have firsthand experience of vet school. So it really doesn't matter.

I also disagree with the people who say "Until you have been here, you can never understand what vet school is like." No, class of 2014ers haven't actually done it, but if anything they're probably imagining that it will be wayyyy harder than it actually is. We're not so special just because we're getting there a little sooner than them...

Of course, I'm sure by the time I'm a fourth year I'll be much older, wiser, more pompous and condescending.

Last edited:
You miss the point.... Electrophile is just being a buzz kill. He/she is so stressed out and unhappy and is trying to take it out on some post pre-vets (i like that term) who are looking to celebrate.

If anyone were trying to pass themselves as a vet student in the "real" world maybe, just maybe she/he would have a point. But honestly, who really cares if you are a student or a pre-student. Nobody.

Honestly, electrophile's true feelings came out when she/he said once you start taking anatomy it is all downhill from there. That is one bitter person. And shame on them (ooo, i sound like a parent) for trying to spread the misery around.

We're not sensitive. We just don't like unsupportive, negative, naysayers. There are enough of those people in every day life as it is!

See, this is where reading comprehension kicks in...

I'm thrilled for all you that you got in

Definitely be proud you got in

Yes. I'm clearly raining on your acceptance parade. :rolleyes: And who said anything about misery? I'm 2 years past anatomy and on a free block right now from clinics. Life is good. :cool::cool::cool:

I have a feeling Electrophile is a lot like myself. I prefer things to be technically correct.

*nods*

I had a roommate in college who was pre-med, and everywhere he worked or hung out, he somehow contrived to get himself the nickname "Dr." or "Doc." He'd wear a lab coat whenever he could, and dispense medical advice despite having no better source than a fascination with WebMD.

It made me absolutely furious, mostly because I'm totally punctilious in my use of honorific titles, going as far as to dig up people's CVs to figure out what pre-nominal title to use when writing them a letter. I figure that people work hard for their titles, and they deserve to have them used properly.

Fast forward to now, and he's still way behind on his med school schedule, scoring too low on his MCAT to apply and missing prereqs, so he's working as a graveyard shift flunky at the hospital while he tries to make that application competitive. I have no proof that it's karmic retribution for taking the honorific early that's delayed his ability to get it for real, but it'd be poetic justice if it was.

Awards night at my highschool, the pre-vets who got scholarships to the agriculture college got a standing ovation. I was doing pre-vet at a different university, which didn't get mentioned, got a scholarship, and got a piddly little applause.

I hate it when people brag and make a big deal out of stuff like that, but if I got hung up on it every single time it happened, well, I would have ended my life about now because stuff like this happens every single day.

I got hired for a new job in December, but I didn't put it on my FB profile or resumes until I started working in January. Oi.

Keeping with the bacon and LOLcat theme:

funny-pictures-cat-brings-home-bacon.jpg

*giggles* after reading entirety of thread...

Really, why do we waste time arguing such trivial matters? Weren't we supposed to lose an hour last night? I'd hate to see the trolling that goes down when we gain an hour in the fall!

oya, I'm sure even if i changed my status on the first day of school it would make a huge difference. Because you know, after one day of vet school i will be SO much wiser.

dgm- i love ur post and im so glad im going to penn with you. i changed my status exactly for those reasons. i am overly excited and also expecting the worst. i'm sure ive heard so many horror stories that it probably will be better than what i'm imagining. but i'm so ecstatic why the hell should i wait 6 months to change my status? IMO i still won't know anything more than i do now after 1 day of class.

I think i hate this thread more than any other one on SDN. more than Brodiatrist and vegans vs. meat eaters. Electrophile, if i were going to your school right now i would almost feel like u broke my heart. changing my status is nothing more than me being so happy to become a part of an amazing vet class. luckily, we will not be at the same school together because i could see you totally busting my bubble of happiness that makes me strive to be the best person i can be. If i were new to the forum now i would probably never come back. Im glad ive been on here for a year so i know SDN is much better than this stupid thread

Last edited:
oya, I'm sure even if i changed my status on the first day of school it would make a huge difference. Because you know, after one day of vet school i will be SO much wiser.
...followed by more good stuff in the post.

You rock.:thumbup:

IMO i still won't know anything more than i do now after 1 day of class.

I think i hate this thread more than any other one on SDN. more than Brodiatrist and vegans vs. meat eaters. Electrophile, if i were going to your school right now i would almost feel like u broke my heart. changing my status is nothing more than me being so happy to become a part of an amazing vet class. luckily, we will not be at the same school together because i could see you totally busting my bubble of happiness that makes me strive to be the best person i can be. If i were new to the forum now i would probably never come back. Im glad ive been on here for a year so i know SDN is much better than this stupid thread

It's not about knowing more. It's very simple. You are NOT a vet student for another 5 or 6 months until you actually START VET SCHOOL. Let me give you another illustration with marriage. Whether or not the actual marriage starts at the "I do," the exchange of the rings, leaving the ceremony, the legal signing of the marriage certificate, etc is kind of up to you in terms of the wedding. But if you just got engaged and the wedding date is 6 months from now, do you suddenly change your last name (if you're a gal) and change your Facebook thing to married? It's just not correct to identify yourself as such until you're actually married. Why that's so hard to understand, I'm not sure.

I'm not shredding and burning your acceptance letter or crashing your acceptance party. If it takes a thread about me simply, nicely, and politely requesting that people not identify themselves as a vet student before they are actually in vet school to "break your heart," vet school will be very rough on you indeed.

Annnnnnd this reminds me exactly why I tend to stay away from boards like this. Sad, but it just takes me back to the elitist attitude that drives me crazy about the university system.

Electrophile - the students I work with everyday have been extraordinarily supportive and encouraging. I personally tend to be a little on the bashful side so I don't go shouting my acceptance from the mountaintops (though amusingly, one student told like 90% of the school after I told her about it), but I don't think ANY of them would begrudge me calling myself a vet student. I think its terribly sad that you feel the need to take away from other's excitement and make a point of saying that they're not REALLY vet students because they haven't ACTUALLY started class yet.

I will tell you the same thing I try to impress upon the students that I work with.

You're going to be A DOCTOR in about a year. It is imperative that you not only do your best to learn how to think in a clinical setting, but how to ACT like a professional. Interactions with people in our field are FAR more important than interactions with animals - if you can't make people do what you want them to, you're never going to be able to treat your patients. So sometimes you have to swallow what you really want to say, smile when you feel like yelling, nod when you want to punch someone in the face and learn to ignore the stuff that's not going to make a difference in the long run. Otherwise you're going to make yourself crazy trying to argue with someone that their cat does NOT have a retained third testicle hidden somewhere in their abdomen (actual conversation I had with a client one time).

Again, what our status is has ZERO effect on you or what you're doing. Don't worry about it. Its small potatoes. I know what students go through, but I'm certainly not going to tell everyone since its not a personal perspective at this point. I am however going to enjoy the HELL out of the fact that I got into vet school and will be starting classes this fall! Guess what? I'm a vet student!!

BlacKAT said it best: "Electrophile, if i were going to your school right now i would almost feel like u broke my heart. changing my status is nothing more than me being so happy to become a part of an amazing vet class. luckily, we will not be at the same school together because i could see you totally busting my bubble of happiness that makes me strive to be the best person i can be."

Honestly, I'm that much more confident in my choice to attend Minnesota. I completely agree that this thread really doesn't make incoming students feel very welcome.

OK, I didn't finish reading this thread. I stopped reading when individuals who haven't even applied to vet school started claiming to KNOW Electrophile's true feelings and pointed out that there is a forum for vet students. What I find incredibly amusing is that MOST of the people posting that are class of 2014 probably won't bother to look at the forums more than once a semester, if that often, in another year. Why? Because they will be incredibly busy and won't have time to help out or advise pre-vets. There is a reason there are far more pre-vets than vet students on the forums, and there are reasons it is very helpful to have vet students and vets on the forums. I know I value Chris's knowledge and experience, and I value the few vets who come in and talk.

While I don't really care whether other folks call themselves king of the vets or pre-health students, but Electrophile wasn't rude so what is the fuss? Electorphile has also contributed a lot to these forums, so perhaps some people should partake in the same chill pill they are prescribing for Electrophile and get off the high and mighty judgement. There are reasons beyond being busy that a lot of vet students drop off of the forums; there is more than enough drama in vet school without bringing the drama of a bunch of other students into the hectic schedule.

If an applicant has received an official acceptance letter from a school (especially those that have already sent in their deposit to reserve their seat), are they technically still considered a pre-veterinary student? I would argue that they would be somewhere between a pre-veterinary student and a veterinary student.

They are called veterinary purgatory dwellers. If you die now, you will never become a veterinarian or a vet student... but maybe you will be recognized as one who was on his/her way to becoming one?

So should everyone with some form of a username that contains 'Doc', 'Dr', 'Doctor', 'DVM', or 'Vet' and is only a pre-vet or vet student change it?

They are called veterinary purgatory dwellers. If you die now, you will never become a veterinarian or a vet student... but maybe you will be recognized as one who was on his/her way to becoming one?

Ah! I have finally seen the light! Thank you!

Annnnnnd this reminds me exactly why I tend to stay away from boards like this. Sad, but it just takes me back to the elitist attitude that drives me crazy about the university system.

Electrophile - the students I work with everyday have been extraordinarily supportive and encouraging. I personally tend to be a little on the bashful side so I don't go shouting my acceptance from the mountaintops (though amusingly, one student told like 90% of the school after I told her about it), but I don't think ANY of them would begrudge me calling myself a vet student. I think its terribly sad that you feel the need to take away from other's excitement and make a point of saying that they're not REALLY vet students because they haven't ACTUALLY started class yet.

I will tell you the same thing I try to impress upon the students that I work with.

You're going to be A DOCTOR in about a year. It is imperative that you not only do your best to learn how to think in a clinical setting, but how to ACT like a professional. Interactions with people in our field are FAR more important than interactions with animals - if you can't make people do what you want them to, you're never going to be able to treat your patients. So sometimes you have to swallow what you really want to say, smile when you feel like yelling, nod when you want to punch someone in the face and learn to ignore the stuff that's not going to make a difference in the long run. Otherwise you're going to make yourself crazy trying to argue with someone that their cat does NOT have a retained third testicle hidden somewhere in their abdomen (actual conversation I had with a client one time).

Again, what our status is has ZERO effect on you or what you're doing. Don't worry about it. Its small potatoes. I know what students go through, but I'm certainly not going to tell everyone since its not a personal perspective at this point. I am however going to enjoy the HELL out of the fact that I got into vet school and will be starting classes this fall! Guess what? I'm a vet student!!

This is not personal. This is not jealousy. This is not me stealing your thunder or raining on your parade. This is not emotional. This is not an unprofessional observation. Simply fact: you are not a vet student if you are not a vet student. The end.

Edit: I put in a request for the thread to be closed as my purpose was as a polite request. I have remained as polite as possible for as long as possible and as some people still don't seem to get the reason behind the request, it has run its course.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Electrophiles' request was *not* polite.

However, this thread has been completely entertaining; and it made me even more hopeful of getting into Davis (and happy I didn't even apply to Missouri.) Seriously, the weather there must make you very cranky.

It's not about knowing more. It's very simple. You are NOT a vet student for another 5 or 6 months until you actually START VET SCHOOL. Let me give you another illustration with marriage. Whether or not the actual marriage starts at the "I do," the exchange of the rings, leaving the ceremony, the legal signing of the marriage certificate, etc is kind of up to you in terms of the wedding. But if you just got engaged and the wedding date is 6 months from now, do you suddenly change your last name (if you're a gal) and change your Facebook thing to married? It's just not correct to identify yourself as such until you're actually married. Why that's so hard to understand, I'm not sure.

I'm not shredding and burning your acceptance letter or crashing your acceptance party. If it takes a thread about me simply, nicely, and politely requesting that people not identify themselves as a vet student before they are actually in vet school to "break your heart," vet school will be very rough on you indeed.

I really tried to stay out of this one, but this is just such a bad comparison that I can't keep quiet anymore. Comparing the difference between being accepted to next year's class and marriage is nothing more than you really grasping to try and justify your original ill-thought out post. I understand that you are either 1)incredibly anal and are really bothered by technicalities or 2)really proud of the fact that you're in vet school and others aren't, but can't we just agree that this is a ridiculous topic that the only difference to you between any of us and someone who has been through 1 day of classes is a stupid title on an anonymous forum?

1)incredibly anal and are really bothered by technicalities or ....

Definitely describes me.

The bonfire is on. Captain Morgan and Friends, where are you?

Morganator, I'll see you in class!!

Last edited:
In my opinion, Electrophiles' request was *not* polite.

However, this thread has been completely entertaining; and it made me even more hopeful of getting into Davis (and happy I didn't even apply to Missouri.) Seriously, the weather there must make you very cranky.

Yes, it was made as politely and sincerely as possible, so no, your interpretation is incorrect.

Definitely describes me.

The bonfire is on. Captain Morgan and Friends, where are you?

Morganator, I'll see you in class!!

It describes me too, and I'm proud of it.

Don't forget the keg!

Yes, it was made as politely and sincerely as possible, so no, your interpretation is incorrect.

Just because you didn't insult someone directly or use harsh words, does not mean that what you said is polite. Im sure it was sincere, but that does not make it polite, justified, or understandable.

People are upset because its RIDICULOUS to make a thread about something SO TRIVIAL. As a current vet student I am sure that you have better things to do and bigger things to worry about it. Being overly attentive to detail or "OCD" leads to higher stress levels and premature death. Perhaps you should let little things like someone's "status" on a forum just slide.

This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever read. Your marriage analogy would only be relevant if veterinary students were calling themselves "Dr" which they're not. They are calling themselves veterinary students which they are. You obviously have personal issues, why else would someone start such a pointless thread as this. My advice to you is get offline and get some help.

So should everyone with some form of a username that contains 'Doc', 'Dr', 'Doctor', 'DVM', or 'Vet' and is only a pre-vet or vet student change it?

Can I keep my username even though I am not, in fact, a hippo?

Status
Not open for further replies.