Can you apply both MD and MD/PhD at the same school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all again, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools just put you into the MD pool automatically if you aren't accepted for MD/PhD.

I think MD=DO=PhD....people shouldn't just become a doctor for the initials...it's much more than that....

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to apply MD/PhD, you need to designate that on your applications, complete the additional MD/PhD essays, etc.

As far as also applying MD-only...that essentially happens at the schools that consider students for the MD program and the MD/PhD program separately. It is not unusual for schools to accept MD/PhD applicants as MD only either after they have been rejected from the combined program or before the MD/PhD committee has made an official decision on them. I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not. You cannot designate both MD/PhD and MD only on your applications, but at some schools it just sort of happens that way.

However, there are some schools that absolutely will not consider applicants for both programs. At those schools, if the MD/PhD program doesn't want you, your application is tossed completely. I don't have a comprehensive list of those schools, but you could ask on the physician scientist forum threads.

At most schools I think you're considered for MD and then MD/PhD separately. To get into MD/PhD you have to first get into MD and then PhD makes its decision. You'll want to check with the schools first. I'd check the boxes for both MD and MD/PhD on AMCAS

Each school handles it differently. Usually, they have different committees for MD/PhD and just MD. In some schools, when you indicate MD/PhD on AMCAS, you must first be evaluated and accepted by the MD-only committee before they move you to the MD/PhD pool. If you get accepted to MD-only but not MD/PhD, you can tell the school if you still want to go for just the MD.

More commonly imo, MD/PhD is a separate pool. You would first be evaluated for MD/PhD. If you don't make it, they will either ask you if you still want to be considered for MD-only or automatically put you in the MD-only pool. In this case, you have a disadvantage since it delays your application process for MD-only.

If you want to apply MD/PhD, you need to designate that on your applications, complete the additional MD/PhD essays, etc.

As far as also applying MD-only...that essentially happens at the schools that consider students for the MD program and the MD/PhD program separately. It is not unusual for schools to accept MD/PhD applicants as MD only either after they have been rejected from the combined program or before the MD/PhD committee has made an official decision on them. I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not. You cannot designate both MD/PhD and MD only on your applications, but at some schools it just sort of happens that way.

However, there are some schools that absolutely will not consider applicants for both programs. At those schools, if the MD/PhD program doesn't want you, your application is tossed completely. I don't have a comprehensive list of those schools, but you could ask on the physician scientist forum threads.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.