Can you apply "categorical" but only get "advanced"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IlianaSedai

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question about categorical anesthesiology programs.

If you apply categorical and are ranked by the program, are you guaranteed to get PGY-1 through PGY-4, or is it possible for you to get the "advanced" without the PGY-1 (which would then leave you screwed)?

If you're guaranteed a prelim year, I'd like to cancel some of my prelim applications in the same city. Help?
 
I believe that if you only apply to categorical spots, you will only be ranked for categorical spots. Besides, if you only rank the categorical program, there's no way you can get an advanced spot even if they did rank you on the advanced program rank list.