-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
csf drips but you can't aspirate...
Started by stephenpatrickd
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Stop covering OB. Do all other cases as MAC or GA. Problem solved.
injectHi all,
I'm sure we've all had this. You feel the dural puncture, you get csf dripping, but you can't aspirate.
What do you do?
1) inject medicine
2) manipulate needle (turn, advance, etc)
3) withdraw and redirect
4) something else
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this, and also stop doing MACStop covering OB. Do all other cases as MAC or GA. Problem solved.
Haven’t had this yet. If it’s initial aspiration I’d redirect
D
deleted1112838
Last edited by a moderator:
D
deleted1130227
Some of 2. If it doesn't work, some of 3. Keep doing until I get frustrated and then 1. The amount of 2 and 3 depends on my aversion to having a failed spinal in this particular patient.Hi all,
I'm sure we've all had this. You feel the dural puncture, you get csf dripping, but you can't aspirate.
What do you do?
1) inject medicine
2) manipulate needle (turn, advance, etc)
3) withdraw and redirect
4) something else
Thanks!
Rotate the needle 90 degrees to make sure you don't have a dural flap. If your csf stops after rotation you need to manipulate the needle.
I do as Dr. Rude does. I am more willing to mess around to get a good spinal on OB. If my spinal fails for a total joint (which is not common even if you can't aspirate), its really not that big of a deal to just do a general.
If you are referring to spinals on OB:
If there is dripping, and then can’t aspirate after attaching syringe, good chance you have moved the needle out from the intrathecal space.
But otherwise, I’d probably inject, and if unsatisfactory levels, I’d sit pt back up and do an epidural.
If there is dripping, and then can’t aspirate after attaching syringe, good chance you have moved the needle out from the intrathecal space.
But otherwise, I’d probably inject, and if unsatisfactory levels, I’d sit pt back up and do an epidural.
If you are referring to spinals on OB:
If there is dripping, and then can’t aspirate after attaching syringe, good chance you have moved the needle out from the intrathecal space.
But otherwise, I’d probably inject, and if unsatisfactory levels, I’d sit pt back up and do an epidural.
Would any of you just repeat the spinal in this situation with a reduced dose, such as 1 ml of heavy bup? I have done that and have not gotten burned with high spinal, but interested to hear others thoughts.
i dont aspirate. wats the evidence w dripping csf and cant aspirate
not really. not burned once but next time you might get burntWould any of you just repeat the spinal in this situation with a reduced dose, such as 1 ml of heavy bup? I have done that and have not gotten burned with high spinal, but interested to hear others thoughts.
What gauge needle is the OP using? I find the 26 and 27 gauge needles are less likely to aspirate even with good flow, and I just inject these. Can’t say I’ve noticed more failures.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You said OB was easy... how have you had experience with spinals not aspirating in OB if OB was so easy? You should have 0 issues...In the obstetric population I manipulate and generally do what it takes to get aspiration because their CSF volume should be such that I could aspirate without creating a vacuum against the Dural wall. So I feel less inclined to take a non-aspirating spinal for them as in my experience they do not work as well or at all.
Also people who don't want to cover OB are weaker anesthesiologists. Just to fire a shot across the bow per ususual.
And why would you think weak anesthesia opt out of OB if as you say OB is so facile?
Something doesn't add up, could you be lying about your experience and ability? Surely not
In the obstetric population I manipulate and generally do what it takes to get aspiration because their CSF volume should be such that I could aspirate without creating a vacuum against the Dural wall. So I feel less inclined to take a non-aspirating spinal for them as in my experience they do not work as well or at all.
In the Ortho geriatric population their CSF volume is lower and I feel that oftentimes the needle opening is up against the Dural wall and creating a vacuum when I aspirate so I do not get CSF but I'm actually in the intrathecal space. So I take those more readily even if they do not aspirate well after a manipulation.
So I don't have any real trick to answer your question but essentially I'm saying I worry more about getting aspiration in the young obstetric population and care less about aspiration in the geriatric ortho due to anatomy differences.
Also people who don't want to cover OB are weaker anesthesiologists. Just to fire a shot across the bow per usual.
Loved this. Hilarious shade throwing.
I’m
He’s a resident. A textbook example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Just scroll on by.You said OB was easy... how have you had experience with spinals not aspirating in OB if OB was so easy? You should have 0 issues...
And why would you think weak anesthesia opt out of OB if as you say OB is so facile?
Something doesn't add up, could you be lying about your experience and ability? Surely not
Medicine2wallstreet is on to something; namely, patient population matters. Like him, in the OB population, I will not dose until I can aspirate csf. I will even perform a second dural puncture before dosing on + egress but no aspiration. If after the second dural puncture the poor aspiration continues (after turning needle in 45 degree increments and ensuring continued flow in multiple quadrants), I'd probably dose it and cross my fingers. In the ortho population, + egress means my local is getting dosed. Like another poster mentioned, GA is no big deal in the ortho world.
Great question though; it's cool seeing other approaches to a not-uncommon problem.
Great question though; it's cool seeing other approaches to a not-uncommon problem.
Would any of you just repeat the spinal in this situation with a reduced dose, such as 1 ml of heavy bup? I have done that and have not gotten burned with high spinal, but interested to hear others thoughts.
with no block, I'd probably consider a reduced dose SAB
with a partial block, I'd place and dose an epidural
What gauge needle is the OP using? I find the 26 and 27 gauge needles are less likely to aspirate even with good flow, and I just inject these. Can’t say I’ve noticed more failures.
27g is a great needle for CSE on the floor; wouldn't even bother to aspirate that needle
I personally would not use less than a 25G for a SAB for surgical anesthesia; stakes are kinda high
D
deleted1112838
H
Last edited by a moderator:
OB patient going to sleep wouldn’t be high risk in your hands though right? Only for other people.I never said Ob spinals were hard. They're actually easy compared to Ortho patients with 65 years of bad habits and no exercise. I just said I prefer good aspiration with OB spinals. It is particularly important for the spinal to work well and be dense as hell because I don't want that patient to go to sleep because the risk is much higher of something going bad. If a spinal doesn't work on an ortho patient who cares just go to sleep they're NPO and their airway is likely not hostile. Keep belittling me all you want but I know more than you think.
D
deleted1112838
M
Last edited by a moderator:
Being afraid of GA on OB is antiquated.Like another poster mentioned, GA is no big deal in the ortho world.
Being afraid of GA on OB is antiquated.
yeah, i'm not "afraid" of it.
but i'd prefer to not steal those first moments from a new mom because i yolo'ed an SAB that didn't aspirate well.
D
deleted1130227
yeah, i'm not "afraid" of it.
but i'd prefer to not steal those first moments from a new mom because i yolo'ed an SAB that didn't aspirate well.
It's the last time momma will get a good amount of uninterrupted sleep. Think of it that way. Don't be cruel. Sleep is important.yeah, i'm not "afraid" of it.
but i'd prefer to not steal those first moments from a new mom because i yolo'ed an SAB that didn't aspirate well.
That’s fair. In residency, we used 25 gauge hundred percent of the time. Last decade or so as an attending, 90% of time I use a 27 gauge while on OB for C-sections, and it works great!27g is a great needle for CSE on the floor; wouldn't even bother to aspirate that needle
I personally would not use less than a 25G for a SAB for surgical anesthesia; stakes are kinda high
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m sorry if that’s obvious for you guys, but are you talking about Whitacre needles?That’s fair. In residency, we used 25 gauge hundred percent of the time. Last decade or so as an attending, 90% of time I use a 27 gauge while on OB for C-sections, and it works great!
Spinal Battle! First one to nail CSF on the homeless meth addict in the parking lot wins. Place your betsJust because I'm damn good doesn't mean I enjoy rolling the dice when I don't have to son.
CorrectI’m sorry if that’s obvious for you guys, but are you talking about Whitacre needles?
Im talking Gertie-Marx, sometimes SprotteI’m sorry if that’s obvious for you guys, but are you talking about Whitacre needles?
OB Anesthesiologist for over 18 months here, I have encountered dozens of these, my trick as long there is no blood - inject and pray and most of the time it works!
I had one that didn't work, and I repeated the procedure with the same amount 2.5 ml hyperbaric bupivacaine (the patient was asthmatic and PROM emergency), thanks God it works well.
I had one that didn't work, and I repeated the procedure with the same amount 2.5 ml hyperbaric bupivacaine (the patient was asthmatic and PROM emergency), thanks God it works well.
Let's fight lolAlso people who don't want to cover OB are weaker anesthesiologists. Just to fire a shot across the bow per usual.
Let's fight lol
I think it does take a certain amount of fortitude to deal with ob shenanigans
What are the advantages people find with the sprotte or Gertie Marx? I’ve used both but realistically don’t appreciate a big difference, if you really prefer one of these needles why so?
I like the sprotte, generally speaking, because the interface between the needle and the introducer just feels very smooth. I also like that the introducer has a Leur fitting, so I can inject local with it (the needle for the local in our kits is quite short). In contrast, the Gertie-Mark has no such Leur fitting, but I find the tactile sensations during needle insertion to be very pronounced, which I like.What are the advantages people find with the sprotte or Gertie Marx? I’ve used both but realistically don’t appreciate a big difference, if you really prefer one of these needles why so?
This happened to me on a couple ortho patients this year. If im pretty convinced im in the right spot I'll give a small dose of the spinal (like 0.5ml). Wait 20 seconds and ask the patient if they feel any different. Every time theyve said their feet/legs are starting to tingle, then i give the rest and have had successful surgical blocks.
This is a very cool trick, 0.5 ml and wait, I bet you are using isobaric right? This will be a challenge if you use hyperbaric as it sinks down and starts create saddle so here we are talking about S3 - S5 numbness and although it would be determined by the speed of injection too. I am just myself thinking loudly.This happened to me on a couple ortho patients this year. If im pretty convinced im in the right spot I'll give a small dose of the spinal (like 0.5ml). Wait 20 seconds and ask the patient if they feel any different. Every time theyve said their feet/legs are starting to tingle, then i give the rest and have had successful surgical blocks.
yes i am using isobaric. it really only takes about 10 seconds or so for onset of some tingling (mepivacaine). I've heard of some places that keep the OB patients sitting for a minute or two after the hyperbaric spinal is in to reduce hypotension. Heres a study talking about it. They left the patients sitting upright for 2 minutes after administration of a hyperbaric spinal.This is a very cool trick, 0.5 ml and wait, I bet you are using isobaric right? This will be a challenge if you use hyperbaric as it sinks down and starts create saddle so here we are talking about S3 - S5 numbness and although it would be determined by the speed of injection too. I am just myself thinking loudly.
Comparison of 1- and 2-Minute Sitting Positions Versus Immediately Lying Down on Hemodynamic Variables After Spinal Anesthesia with Hyperbaric Bupivacaine in Elective Cesarean Section - PMC
Hypotension is one of the most common complications of spinal anesthesia in parturients undergoing cesarean section. In this regard, the patient’s position may affect the incidence of hypotension. In this clinical trial, we evaluated the effects of ...
no thanks, i'll just give some neoyes i am using isobaric. it really only takes about 10 seconds or so for onset of some tingling (mepivacaine). I've heard of some places that keep the OB patients sitting for a minute or two after the hyperbaric spinal is in to reduce hypotension. Heres a study talking about it. They left the patients sitting upright for 2 minutes after administration of a hyperbaric spinal.
Comparison of 1- and 2-Minute Sitting Positions Versus Immediately Lying Down on Hemodynamic Variables After Spinal Anesthesia with Hyperbaric Bupivacaine in Elective Cesarean Section - PMC
Hypotension is one of the most common complications of spinal anesthesia in parturients undergoing cesarean section. In this regard, the patient’s position may affect the incidence of hypotension. In this clinical trial, we evaluated the effects of ...www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Thank you for sharing the research, I read it fast, but stopped at "Therefore, allowing the patient to remain in the sitting position, instead of immediately lying down, could delay the onset of anesthesia and reduce the incidence of hypotension". This could delay onset of anesthesia, I myself want no delay (although there is always delay in regard of Glass Spine phenomenon), but looking at the results in the research is promising, and myself will be a bit worried about the onset of block, and I am not sure did they examine the S2-S5? Then after 2 minutes, what should I do? Change position, de-lordosis (my usual technique but not for OB) and lower head - bed down in order to reach T6. In Glass spine we got a tricky issue, the uneven spread of LA (somehow) and it will be divided cephalic vs caudal spread. Well diving deep in glass spine, you may consider that even hyperbaric Bupivacaine will be changed into isobaric - hypobaric like activity and spreading up. Spinal anesthesia is mixed complexity for me, I had changed my perspective many times over the past 5 years. Thanks to Dr. SaltyDog who brought up the Video of Glass Spine in my post about my first case of combined spinal - epidural anesthesia. I miss this Anesthesiologist so much Dr. SaltyDog !yes i am using isobaric. it really only takes about 10 seconds or so for onset of some tingling (mepivacaine). I've heard of some places that keep the OB patients sitting for a minute or two after the hyperbaric spinal is in to reduce hypotension. Heres a study talking about it. They left the patients sitting upright for 2 minutes after administration of a hyperbaric spinal.
Comparison of 1- and 2-Minute Sitting Positions Versus Immediately Lying Down on Hemodynamic Variables After Spinal Anesthesia with Hyperbaric Bupivacaine in Elective Cesarean Section - PMC
Hypotension is one of the most common complications of spinal anesthesia in parturients undergoing cesarean section. In this regard, the patient’s position may affect the incidence of hypotension. In this clinical trial, we evaluated the effects of ...www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
By the way see : Modifying the Baricity of Local Anesthetics for Spinal Anesthesia by Temperature Adjustment: Model Calculations
Glass Spine video (check the minute 08:43 after injecting isobaric and might be changed to hypobaric by temperature and other factors - but in case of hyperbaric the research above might mention the change of hyperbaric into isobaric - hypobaric due to temperature)
*injects* waits 20 seconds. “Is your anus tingling?” Ok good. *continues injection*This is a very cool trick, 0.5 ml and wait, I bet you are using isobaric right? This will be a challenge if you use hyperbaric as it sinks down and starts create saddle so here we are talking about S3 - S5 numbness and although it would be determined by the speed of injection too. I am just myself thinking loudly.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Problem solved lol*injects* waits 20 seconds. “Is your anus tingling?” Ok good. *continues injection*
What in the wide wide world of sports is this pseudo saddle block for c-section nonsense?I've heard of some places that keep the OB patients sitting for a minute or two after the hyperbaric spinal is in to reduce hypotension. Heres a study talking about it. They left the patients sitting upright for 2 minutes after administration of a hyperbaric spinal.
Comparison of 1- and 2-Minute Sitting Positions Versus Immediately Lying Down on Hemodynamic Variables After Spinal Anesthesia with Hyperbaric Bupivacaine in Elective Cesarean Section - PMC
Hypotension is one of the most common complications of spinal anesthesia in parturients undergoing cesarean section. In this regard, the patient’s position may affect the incidence of hypotension. In this clinical trial, we evaluated the effects of ...www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
You need a level approaching the upper thoracic area to reliably cover the uterus and all the viscera that get yanked or poked during a section.
A T4ish level is the point. Just give some phenylephrine. That study notes less hypotension (duh) but doesn't comment on block efficacy (hmm).
That is the bold talk I can't myself comment like you Dr. Pgg.What in the wide wide world of sports is this pseudo saddle block for c-section nonsense?
You need a level approaching the upper thoracic area to reliably cover the uterus and all the viscera that get yanked or poked during a section.
A T4ish level is the point. Just give some phenylephrine. That study notes less hypotension (duh) but doesn't comment on block efficacy (hmm).
For a reference - Page 215 in the book titled Obstetric Anesthesia by Oxford University Press 1st edition, there is a wonderful image about the spread of LA.
Stating that putting a pillow only under the head will make LA travel up to T2 and by placing another pillow under the mid thoracic curve will give more controllable spread - means less than T2...
This image collaborates in my mind with the knowledge of Glass Spine phenomenon to get the full picture of the spread of LA.
Indeed, some phenylephrine will solve any hypotension and it is not a big deal to worry about. When I grew up here I told you one day I had NO Ephedrine and you guys said "try epinephrine instead" which is available. Because of you guys the epinephrine is always handy as a substitute beside Ephedrine, norepinephrine and phenylephrine. In resistant cases epinephrine works like a charm 5 - 7 mcg couple times boluses and that is it. By you guys here the Anesthesiologists I terminated the fear of using epinephrine and passed to my colleagues and we have circle of discussions, they all love epinephrine. Lots of Anesthsiologists still skeptical about giving epinephrine even in bronchospasm, and myself it is my leg and hand in every day practice.
I only inject a spinal that aspirates.
D
deleted1183938
Get rid of ALL the air in the 5cc syringe with meds that you are drawing from. When you do that you the see the volume increase in syringe.
If that doesn’t work, grab the little 1cc syringe and pull back on it see if you see it fill up 0.10cc at a time. All you need is that initial 0.10cc and you know for sure you are in.
We are often in but the air gets in the way and the larger syringe with air can trick your eyes.
And yeah I need to get the hell out of OB. That place is draining.
If that doesn’t work, grab the little 1cc syringe and pull back on it see if you see it fill up 0.10cc at a time. All you need is that initial 0.10cc and you know for sure you are in.
We are often in but the air gets in the way and the larger syringe with air can trick your eyes.
And yeah I need to get the hell out of OB. That place is draining.
Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 22
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 315
- Views
- 16K