Can you become an MD and still have free time to enjoy life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...i generally appreciate the comments that you post in these forums because they are quite interesting and thoughtful, but when you slather on the patronizing generalizations it's a little hard to swallow.

Just calling it the way I have personally seen it. You are free to take or ignore whatever parts work for you. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I did my BSE and MSE at UMich and largely worked my tail off the last few years. I'm trying to get a sense of the workload in years M1 and M2 compared to engineering. Are we talking "Senior Design Project + studying for finals + applying to grad school = 100hr/wk" two year marathon? Or is the real thing more chill than we've all been led to believe? How many hours are scheduled (in class, lecture, lab, etc.) and how many hours spent studying per week?

Note I'm also not the 'super-over-achiever' type. I do intend to be a damn fine doctor. But I'm not going to lay awake at night berating myself for not making the top of my class... so I'm not terribly interested in answers that are simply 'you-must-study-every-single-second-or-else-you-will-be-a-danger-to-patients'. I'd like an honest reflection on how much time you actually spent on schoolwork in years 1 and 2.

-

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
-

Last edited:
My husband routinely works 90-100 hours/week.

He's not a doctor, he's a computer programmer.