Can you defer from a medical school if you are get off their waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparrow7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a very naive question: If you get accepted off a wait list from a medical school, can you then ask to defer for one more year if you have a compelling reason?

Members don't see this ad.

That depends on whether or not the school even has a policy that allows students to defer admission. I'm not sure that's something I'd try doing, but if your reason is compelling enough, call the school and see what they can work out with you.

-z

Thanks Zipmedic for your advice. The school definitely has a deferral policy. I'll see how it goes. I sent deferral letters to schools I've already been accepted to but if I get off the wait list for this school I'd definitely choose it over the others!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's also a matter of exactly when you're accepted from the waitlist. Later in the year = less of a chance for deferral, since their goal is to fill the class. I had a pretty compelling reason last year to do the same thing, but was told on no uncertain terms that no deferrals would be granted that late in the game (end of June-ish).

TerdF, that makes total sense. Thank you

It depends on the school. Some schools will tell you that they do not allow students on the waitinglist to defer at all. Therefore, I would call the school to see if they allow students to do so.

Definitely call the school and ask.

Turd Ferguson. It's a funny name.