Can you do a global rotation in a country where DO practice rights aren't recognized?

Davisite201491

5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Currently OMS-II. I've had great interest in doing global medicine, and am quite familiar with the International Practice Rights for DOs list on Wikipedia (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - Wikipedia)

For the longest time I've wanted to do a global rotation over in Taiwan as a 4th year elective and also entertained the idea of practicing in Taiwan at a later time (after doing a residency in the USA), but as you can see, it says that the DO degree is no longer recognized in Taiwan :( It's strange because DOs had full practice rights in Taiwan previously. Being Wikipedia and all I might have to be a little skeptical of who made the edit, but if it's true, it's a real bummer.

Question is - would I still be able to do a rotation over there, even though my degree isn't recognized? Has anyone else done a rotation in a country where American DO degrees aren't officially recognized?
Thanks.

FutureDoctor5000

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I can’t seem to find anything anywhere that says DO’s don’t have practice rights in Taiwan..

nooneyouknow

2+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2017
Currently OMS-II. I've had great interest in doing global medicine, and am quite familiar with the International Practice Rights for DOs list on Wikipedia (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - Wikipedia)

For the longest time I've wanted to do a global rotation over in Taiwan as a 4th year elective and also entertained the idea of practicing in Taiwan at a later time (after doing a residency in the USA), but as you can see, it says that the DO degree is no longer recognized in Taiwan :( It's strange because DOs had full practice rights in Taiwan previously. Being Wikipedia and all I might have to be a little skeptical of who made the edit, but if it's true, it's a real bummer.

Question is - would I still be able to do a rotation over there, even though my degree isn't recognized? Has anyone else done a rotation in a country where American DO degrees aren't officially recognized?
Thanks.
It looks like the changes were made by a random unregistered account recently on January the 8th.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

Davisite201491

5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm hoping it's just an inaccurate edit. When the workweek begins I plan on getting in contact with the AOA or Taiwan's ministry of health to ask about this, because I can't find any other lists of International Practice Rights that are up to date besides with wikipedia one. There doesn't appear to be a list available (at least for free viewing) on the osteopathic websites.

Just restating my question - would I still be able to do a rotation over there, even though my degree isn't recognized? Has anyone else done a rotation in a country where American DO degrees aren't officially recognized? Thank you.

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Reactions: 1 users

AMEHigh

10+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
During residency I did 2 international rotations. Not once did anyone ask or mention me being a DO when I had to fill out paperwork. Since you’re a student and will be working under a doctor and not practicing medicine , I would think it wouldn’t matter.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.