Can you do a global rotation in a country where DO practice rights aren't recognized?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davisite201491

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently OMS-II. I've had great interest in doing global medicine, and am quite familiar with the International Practice Rights for DOs list on Wikipedia (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - Wikipedia)

For the longest time I've wanted to do a global rotation over in Taiwan as a 4th year elective and also entertained the idea of practicing in Taiwan at a later time (after doing a residency in the USA), but as you can see, it says that the DO degree is no longer recognized in Taiwan :( It's strange because DOs had full practice rights in Taiwan previously. Being Wikipedia and all I might have to be a little skeptical of who made the edit, but if it's true, it's a real bummer.

Question is - would I still be able to do a rotation over there, even though my degree isn't recognized? Has anyone else done a rotation in a country where American DO degrees aren't officially recognized?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t seem to find anything anywhere that says DO’s don’t have practice rights in Taiwan..

Currently OMS-II. I've had great interest in doing global medicine, and am quite familiar with the International Practice Rights for DOs list on Wikipedia (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - Wikipedia)

For the longest time I've wanted to do a global rotation over in Taiwan as a 4th year elective and also entertained the idea of practicing in Taiwan at a later time (after doing a residency in the USA), but as you can see, it says that the DO degree is no longer recognized in Taiwan :( It's strange because DOs had full practice rights in Taiwan previously. Being Wikipedia and all I might have to be a little skeptical of who made the edit, but if it's true, it's a real bummer.

Question is - would I still be able to do a rotation over there, even though my degree isn't recognized? Has anyone else done a rotation in a country where American DO degrees aren't officially recognized?
Thanks.
It looks like the changes were made by a random unregistered account recently on January the 8th.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping it's just an inaccurate edit. When the workweek begins I plan on getting in contact with the AOA or Taiwan's ministry of health to ask about this, because I can't find any other lists of International Practice Rights that are up to date besides with wikipedia one. There doesn't appear to be a list available (at least for free viewing) on the osteopathic websites.

Just restating my question - would I still be able to do a rotation over there, even though my degree isn't recognized? Has anyone else done a rotation in a country where American DO degrees aren't officially recognized? Thank you.

Touro University in California has a program with Taiwan

Here's a DO who is practicing in Taipei Medical University Hospital (ignore the initials, he went to NSU)

Reactions: 1 users
During residency I did 2 international rotations. Not once did anyone ask or mention me being a DO when I had to fill out paperwork. Since you’re a student and will be working under a doctor and not practicing medicine , I would think it wouldn’t matter.