Can you do anything for non-clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maido

Reaction score
I'm looking at a volunteer opportunity that is basically chaperoning and driving kids to an organization's events. I am interested in this because of the specific population but I am not sure how this will be looked at compared to working something like a soup kitchen. It's definitely a helpful program, but driving kids certainly feels less impactful. So while I would love to work with this population, I would equally like to work a job like in a soup kitchen. And unfortunately I do have to consider how this will be looked at since non-clinical volunteering is currently the weakest point of my application and I have very little of the 15 AMCAS spaces free. This is also the only local opportunity I can find with this population. Would adcoms look down on this being my only non-clinical volunteering activity?

Members don't see this ad.

Are these kids who would not get to events if not for volunteers? Do you have a second volunteer with you when you drive these kids? You should, for your own safety. If the kids' parents could afford drivers and nannies, and you did it for no charge, that would be frowned upon but we might assume that these are kids whose parents don't have the means to provide the kids with carfare.

If you are able to talk with the kids and get to know their circumstances and so forth, it may be more valuable than peeling carrots and potatoes in a soup kitchen and having limited interaction with guests (my own experience -- far more food prep and cleaning up with other volunteers and minimal interaction with those we served).

Reactions: 2 users
You’ve told us nothing about the kids and where you are taking them.so it’s hard to give advice. Be sure your insurance covers transport. Sometimes it doesn’t without a rider policy. And @LizzyM is right, make sure you have another adult riding with you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need more. Why should I entrust you with children if you don't have any certification or training when it comes to children, especially respecting their parents' wishes and the children's personal safety? One has to do that when it comes to chaperone children at various faith based events that I am aware of.

You can see about summer camps. You could drive school buses; there's is a huge shortage there. Look for orgs that do what you are describing.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry everyone, I try to be vague online so I don’t get doxxed. This organization works for a challenged group (think black children, LGBT children, girls, newly-immigrated children) and their events work to help the children value their own background. I am not sure whether the kids’ parents can provide transportation or chaperone events themselves, that’s a good point that I’ll ask about.

You can always use the "Ask the Expert" in the Confidential section of the forums if you are concerned about privacy or getting revealed.

My position stands even more: for liability purposes and reduce the org's liability of getting sued if you get into an accident, there should be increased vetting. I would be surprised that they let people drive their personal vehicles. That's a big lawsuit waiting to happen if something happens. You also must be subject to a background check, especially when it comes to crimes concerning minors. The issues Uber/Lyft drivers have when it comes to transporting those with disabilities on behalf of a local paratransit service are incredibly complex.

To the original question, would this be looked as non-clinical volunteering? Yes.

I worked in a field like that driving kids to school, special programs, events, clinics, etc. But we had commercial insurance covering for couple millions, had some training, background check. You could use personal vehicle but on paperwork it was leased to a company you worked for. Otherwise, too much risk.

That “counts”…just make sure you have another adult riding with you and all your liability ducks in a row!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking at a volunteer opportunity that is basically chaperoning and driving kids to an organization's events. I am interested in this because of the specific population but I am not sure how this will be looked at compared to working something like a soup kitchen. It's definitely a helpful program, but driving kids certainly feels less impactful. So while I would love to work with this population, I would equally like to work a job like in a soup kitchen. And unfortunately I do have to consider how this will be looked at since non-clinical volunteering is currently the weakest point of my application and I have very little of the 15 AMCAS spaces free. This is also the only local opportunity I can find with this population. Would adcoms look down on this being my only non-clinical volunteering activity?

Many applicants often have some "fluff" entries if they are hitting the max of 15. You may be able to combine some as well to open up more slots. While you have not shared many details of your app, I would not recommend having this as your only non-clinical volunteering (especially if the events are less frequent).

Are these kids who would not get to events if not for volunteers? Do you have a second volunteer with you when you drive these kids? You should, for your own safety. If the kids' parents could afford drivers and nannies, and you did it for no charge, that would be frowned upon but we might assume that these are kids whose parents don't have the means to provide the kids with carfare.

If you are able to talk with the kids and get to know their circumstances and so forth, it may be more valuable than peeling carrots and potatoes in a soup kitchen and having limited interaction with guests (my own experience -- far more food prep and cleaning up with other volunteers and minimal interaction with those we served).

Not to hijack, but I’m doing exactly what you describe, in my local soup kitchen. Making food with no interaction. It is my only volunteer activity. I really feel good about this work though bc I know it’s lending a hand to the small staff at this location and most importantly, it’s making a difference for the hungry in my community. But should I change to something with more interaction to those I’m serving? Thanks!

Not to hijack, but I’m doing exactly what you describe, in my local soup kitchen. Making food with no interaction. It is my only volunteer activity. I really feel good about this work though bc I know it’s lending a hand to the small staff at this location and most importantly, it’s making a difference for the hungry in my community. But should I change to something with more interaction to those I’m serving? Thanks!
Ask to have a turn at serving the food, or walk through the dining room and chat with the patrons while they are eating.