Can you ever be kicked out of your home store? What does it mean to be "district property"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swatchgirl

Exercise your brains out, so you don't get sick.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that once you are hired on as a full-time staff pharmacist, you become "district property"?

Someone told me it basically means that you can be "relocated" to working at a different store against your will...? My impression of the definition of "having a home store" is that once you get your own store, you will be able to work at that same store for as long as you wanted to. Is that assumption incorrect?

Is it legal (and what would be the reason) for an employer to remove a staff pharmacist from a nice home store (after they have worked as the store's staff pharmacist for a year or two) and put them in a more sketchy (and much busier) store? Does the pharmacist have a say in the matter? Does he or she have the power to tell management that they want to continue working at their home store if they preferred to stay there?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it true that once you are hired on as a full-time staff pharmacist, you become "district property"?

Someone told me it basically means that you can be "relocated" to working at a different store against your will...? My impression of the definition of "having a home store" is that once you get your own store, you will be able to work at that same store for as long as you wanted to. Is that assumption incorrect?

Is it legal for an employer to remove a staff pharmacist from a nice home store (after they have worked as the store's staff pharmacist for a year or two) and put them in a more sketchy (and much busier) store? Does the pharmacist have a say in the matter? Can he or she tell management that they want to continue working at their home store if they preferred to stay there?

Of course it's legal. The pharmacist has a say, buy that only goes so far.

Of course it's legal. The pharmacist has a say, buy that only goes so far.

What would be the reason(s) for a manager to decide to put their own staff pharmacist in a different store, one that's busier and messier?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would it not be legal for a business to move around its employees where ever they needed them most or for whatever reason the business thought that was a good decision? You can always quit if you don't like it. The only way there would be a legal issue is if you were working under a contract that stated otherwise, or if the business was doing it in some systematically discriminatory way against a protected class, e.g. only the [enter race here] pharmacists were always reassigned to the sketchy stores.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would it not be legal for a business to move around its employees where ever they needed them most or for whatever reason the business thought that was a good decision? You can always quit if you don't like it. The only way there would be a legal issue is if you were working under a contract that stated otherwise, or if the business was doing it in some systematically discriminatory way against a protected class, e.g. only the [enter race here] pharmacists were always reassigned to the sketchy stores.

What are some of the reasons that staff pharmacists are "reassigned" to the sketchy stores? Does it just mean they are not good enough?

What are some of the reasons that staff pharmacists are "reassigned" to the sketchy stores? Does it just mean they are not good enough?

It doesn't always mean the pharmacist that is moved is not good enough or that is not favored by the DM etc. I have seen extremely strong pharmacy managers and staff moved to aweful messy stores with the sole mission being to fix the chaos. Then once the store is running smoothly the staff sometimes takes over as manager and the RXM moves on to the next mess. Sometimes this comes with a bonus etc.. You must consider workplace dynamics beyond being a good pharmacist. Sometimes a team just doesn't work good together and needs to be adjusted at no fault of the team.

Reactions: 3 users

Is it legal (and what would be the reason) for an employer to remove a staff pharmacist from a nice home store (after they have worked as the store's staff pharmacist for a year or two) and put them in a more sketchy (and much busier) store? Does the pharmacist have a say in the matter? Does he or she have the power to tell management that they want to continue working at their home store if they preferred to stay there?

Sure you have a say in the matter...quit. Why is the first line of thought is that if it's legal? Everyone's a special snow flake I guess...

If RXM/DM wants to give you an illusion that he is asking you nicely, he will first ask, and then a week later TELL you that you are changing stores. I highly recommend that you don't take too much time in 'agreeing' to relocate.

Sometimes they change your home store to keep you on your toes. Sometimes they want you to quit. Sometimes it is to make the district run smoother. You can try to figure out which one it is or just go along with the program and try to make it work for you.

Your power is the ability to quit.

"I prefer to stay at my current store... or else I'll quit."

"I prefer to remain a staff pharmacist... or else I'll quit."

"Making" pharmacists do stuff they don't want to do doesn't help morale and increases the likelihood they'll quit.

Unfortunately,

If you are working for a chain you are pretty much their b**** and they can tell you where to work and when to work. As others have noted, you could quit. Or, if they're trying to get you to quit, this could be their ploy to get you frustrated.

Unfortunately,

If you are working for a chain you are pretty much their b**** and they can tell you where to work and when to work. As others have noted, you could quit. Or, if they're trying to get you to quit, this could be their ploy to get you frustrated.

Like many of the folks on here, quitting is a luxury I just don't have. I am planning my pregnancy to start a family soon, because it is now or never... So quitting is not an option.

Well then get pregnant, get on FMLA, there you go. 12 weeks of avoiding work at a crappy store.

Go back and look at your original offer letter. I doubt it specifies a store. Why couldn't you change jobs because you are planning to have a baby? No employer is allowed to discriminate on that basis, just make sure you have health benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go back and look at your original offer letter. I doubt it specifies a store. Why couldn't you change jobs because you are planning to have a baby? No employer is allowed to discriminate on that basis, just make sure you have health benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
technically I think you have a year after employment before FMLA kicks in - now that being said, if a place actually didn't give it to a someone having a baby - the PR nightmare would not be worth making a point

I remember when I worked at CVS, they kept moving around this pharmacist from bad store to bad store (metrics wise) because after a month or two of the guy working there, the metrics would improve. I'd hate that ****. If I was him, I would have faked incompetence so they stop moving around.

I'd want to be at the same store my whole career, know all the patients, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Well then get pregnant, get on FMLA, there you go. 12 weeks of avoiding work at a crappy store.

I am still at my home store. I like this store a lot and prefer to stay here for at least another year, during which time I can hopefully have a baby.

I remember when I worked at CVS, they kept moving around this pharmacist from bad store to bad store (metrics wise) because after a month or two of the guy working there, the metrics would improve. I'd hate that ****. If I was him, I would have faked incompetence so they stop moving around.

Yeah that's exactly what CountBy5s was describing, but I've only worked retail for 10 months (with 2 months of intern experience doing retail during school), so I shouldn't be the first person they need to turn to for fixing up a bad store. I don't know. I am going to do my best to improve my verifying speed so I can hopefully stay at my home store for at least another year.

The CVS down the street to my store told the PIC they would like her to move to a store with low scores. Her store did maybe 80-90 a day. She was maybe 5-8 years away from retirement and declined her Supes request. They told her its ok, but the next time it won't be a request. Essentially, you are a moveable part. It just comes down to how nice your Supe is to give you the option or move you to a bad store that might have some other merits for you (in the case above, it was significantly closer to where the PIC lived).

To follow up on that, my Supe just moved an pharmacist to my store (adequately staffed, great Supe, amazing PIC) after she was pushing for that position when the pharmacist at the time retired. So you can also be moved for a positive. Granted the Supe did get something out of it as the current PIC is planning on retiring in the next few years and the new pharmacist has PIC experience.

This is one way to be left alone as a staff pharmacist. Be weak (not really know anything about pharmacy ops, don't know how to solve problems) but not too incompetent (blatant misfills, killing people, causing unnecessary customer service issues). Another way is as PIC to put up with a crap store and not cause waves. Then you probably will be left alone if your boss can't find anyone else capable of putting up with your crap store.

If you are too competent --> be put in the most chaotic stores to improve them

If you are too incompetent --> fired

This is the fine balance we must understand as corporate retail pharmacists. If the DM tell you to move you better do it or accept a non-zero probably of being on their **** list.

if u join the union, your union rep can help u remain at your home store.. u have a lot of union support from contract agreements, and there's a clause in there in regards to this issue. and u must read those agreements to know your rights.. just paying union fees is not enough.

It's legal and it does happen.

If you are really good at your job they may want to put you in a busier store, for obvious reasons, and let someone with less experience take your spot. If you are doing a bad job they could demote you to floater. If you have a real nasty/hostile manager they might do this to get someone to quit but I don't think this is a company strategy; just isolated cases of poor management.

It could be possible that this guy was getting a raise every time that they moved him. I'm not sure how it works though, I'd be really interested in knowing.

It could be possible that this guy was getting a raise every time that they moved him. I'm not sure how it works though, I'd be really interested in knowing.
the one case ive heard off, the guy did, and he kept doing it to get a raise.

You'd be the first to go when they downsize though with that bloated salary.

If you are really that good that you are moving around fixing problem stores I doubt they would cut you even if they had to downsize. If a DM looks at a list of his entire staff there probably aren't very many people on it that can handle his/her most difficult/busy store so I doubt they are going to cut anyone who can.

Reactions: 1 users
Where is 6GodPharm or whatever his name is in this thread? lolz. This is what he says he does (moves from store to store fixing them for a raise).

How do you fix incompetent staff? At my company it's practically impossible to fire anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How do you fix incompetent staff? At my company it's practically impossible to fire anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You make a significant cut to their hours. Obviously, don't forget to do the write-ups in the meantime.

I also know of a store that I'm pretty sure they essentially use to train up new grads. They fill like 150-200/day with good techs. They put the new grad in the store full time and then after about a year they will place them into a more busy store when they have more experience. It's essentially like a training store because it's a cakewalk, I filled in there a few times and the staff pharmacists are always changing. Maybe you are in one of these type of stores and don't realize it? Or maybe you are in an average store and just have really good metrics so they need you somewhere else? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your post and you haven't actually been asked to relocated?

At WM they won't even fire people for not arming the pharmacy alarm. That's as easy as it gets (check the freakin' alarm logs) It's pathetic. Actually it's more about ineffective management than anything else

Last edited:
At WM they won't even fire people for not arming the pharmacy alarm. That's as easy as it gets (check the freakin' alarm logs) It's pathetic. Actually it's more about ineffective management than anything else

Not a big deal though. I've forgotten to arm the pharmacy alarm a couple of times.

I also know of a store that I'm pretty sure they essentially use to train up new grads. They fill like 150-200/day with good techs. They put the new grad in the store full time and then after about a year they will place them into a more busy store when they have more experience. It's essentially like a training store because it's a cakewalk, I filled in there a few times and the staff pharmacists are always changing. Maybe you are in one of these type of stores and don't realize it? Or maybe you are in an average store and just have really good metrics so they need you somewhere else? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting your post and you haven't actually been asked to relocated?

If a cakewalk store fills less than 200 scripts a day, then would an "average store" be like filling 400-500 prescriptions a day? Do these new grads typically get to keep their full-time staff rph status or do they become part-time/floaters after they finish their one-year training? Also, do any of them get to train at that store you're talking about for 2 years instead of just 12 months? :ninja:

If a cakewalk store fills less than 200 scripts a day, then would an "average store" be like filling 400-500 prescriptions a day? Do these new grads typically get to keep their full-time staff rph status or do they become part-time/floaters after they finish their one-year training? Also, do any of them get to train at that store you're talking about for 2 years instead of just 12 months? :ninja:

They aren't going to demote you to part-time or a floater unless you suck. If you good a good job most likely they will just place you in a busier store full time. The slow store isn't officially a "training store", it's just that the DM puts new grads there so they can get used to the job. Most new grads still have to start as floaters anyways because there not enough slow stores, lol.

I got moved all over the place when I worked for CVS. I think most of the time for it was actually a result of positive performance. Basically rewarded for solid performance by being moved to a failing store. Every time I was moved it felt like it was about someone terrible needing to take my place, or me being used to support a new PIC. It's like chess. They're just trying to strategically staff stores with people that fit. Stupid slow pharmacist? Meet best the PIC in the district. Super fast staff pharmacist with endless energy? Meet 24hr hell store.

Basically your hard work rewards you with a **** store. Resistance is futile.

When you are "rewarded" for solid performance they put more on your plate--put you in crap stores, split you between two crap stores, pair you with crap pharmacists, and you end up being "that" pharmacist that gets to clean up other people's incompetence. And then you end up with the same raise as these crap pharmacists who don't give a ****. It's a joke and not good for morale. The ability to quit is your only defense.

I've done a 3,200-3,500/week store, a 2,500-2,600/week store and a now a ratchet-ass ~1,800-2,000/week store. (This is all sales/week as total fills don't mean anything without sales.) It's all annoying.

When you are "rewarded" for solid performance they put more on your plate--put you in crap stores, split you between two crap stores, pair you with crap pharmacists, and you end up being "that" pharmacist that gets to clean up other people's incompetence. And then you end up with the same raise as these crap pharmacists who don't give a ****. It's a joke and not good for morale. The ability to quit is your only defense.

I've done a 3,200-3,500/week store, a 2,500-2,600/week store and a now a ratchet-ass ~1,800-2,000/week store. (This is all sales/week as total fills don't mean anything without sales.) It's all annoying.
Talk with your SUP or DM. If they rely on you a decent amount have a sit down and ask for a raise thats not the annual raise. I believe it's called progressive rate or something like that. Make your point on why they should give you a raise, not just for "fixing" the store but how does that store stay when you leave and no longer work there? If you can take that info to them and you have level headed DM or Sup you should get a progressive salary increase. I agree with you 100% some people in this company should never get a raise. They don't stress just clock in and clock out.

I hate to break it to you but you work for a business. Another thing that doesn't help you is that you are a staff, much easier to move. You think they give a **** where you want to work lol did you think you were going to work behind a PIC hiding and at the same store forever?

Talk with your SUP or DM. If they rely on you a decent amount have a sit down and ask for a raise thats not the annual raise. I believe it's called progressive rate or something like that. Make your point on why they should give you a raise, not just for "fixing" the store but how does that store stay when you leave and no longer work there? If you can take that info to them and you have level headed DM or Sup you should get a progressive salary increase. I agree with you 100% some people in this company should never get a raise. They don't stress just clock in and clock out.

It all depends on a reasonable sup with the power to do it. All I got at CVS were b.s. excuses about market rate until I gave 2 weeks, then "how much do you want?"