can you help me to choose a university in audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys....I am planning to take the clinical certification along with the PHD.
But i wanted to do a clinical sertifcation along with it so that i will have a back up if i dont get a job. i would request you if you can help me to choose a university to pursue my studies.my priorities are.

1.short time( because i have already spent time 2 .5 years for my masters),
2.more funidng(since i am an international student, its very expensive for me to survive in usa for 5 years with out funding and taking loans)
3. ranking of the program and location( university should be descent enough so that i can get a job later. If i spent 4 years of time, i should be woth of it)

I have applied to couple of universities. I just wanted your advice on this ...

1. University of Arizona, Tucson

Program applied - Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.)

Admssion Accepted – got 12,637 dollars scholarship.
This will cover their 3/4rth of the fess . but I have to take care of remaining money and living expense.The program is Highly reputable .The program is really heactic with 17 crdit hour in a semester and comprehensive exam every year.

Cons.- aud + Phd will take 6 to 7 years to complete. They don’t have a option of phd and taking a clinical certification along with it.

2. Wichita State University
Program applying for - Phd in communication sciences and disorders

got admission with full funding, they told me i can finsh my phd in 3 years and the clinical certification part in 1.5 years.

3. Texas Tech University Health Science Center

Program Applied – a dual program
AUD / Phd in Communication Sciences and Disorders

will take 4+2 = 6years to complete
Funding provided and a half time TA during the first semester and based on my performance they will give full time TA

Cons- they don’t have good research going.

4.University of Tennessee- Knoxville

Admission Accepted – no funding for this year
They also have a phd program along with a clinical certification

6.University of Illinois – Urbana –Champaign

Admission accepted- no details about funding

7. East Tennessee State University

Admission Accepted – they might give graduate assistant ship
Cons- they don’t have any option of doing PHD, ony aud program

Admission accepted for AUD prorgam but no funding

Indiana University – Bloomington

University of South Florida, Tampa

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys....I am planning to take the clinical certification along with the PHD.
But i wanted to do a clinical sertifcation along with it so that i will have a back up if i dont get a job. i would request you if you can help me to choose a university to pursue my studies.my priorities are.

1.short time( because i have already spent time 2 .5 years for my masters),
2.more funidng(since i am an international student, its very expensive for me to survive in usa for 5 years with out funding and taking loans)
3. ranking of the program and location( university should be descent enough so that i can get a job later. If i spent 4 years of time, i should be woth of it)

I have applied to couple of universities. I just wanted your advice on this ...

1. University of Arizona, Tucson

Admssion Accepted – got 12,637 dollars scholarship.
This will cover their 3/4rth of the fess . but I have to take care of remaining money and living expense.The program is Highly reputable .The program is really heactic with 17 crdit hour in a semester and comprehensive exam every year.

Cons.- aud + Phd will take 6 to 7 years to complete. They don’t have a option of phd and taking a clinical certification along with it.

2. Wichita State University
Program applying for - Phd in communication sciences and disorders

got admission with full funding, they told me i can finsh my phd in 3 years and the clinical certification part in 1.5 years.

3. Texas Tech University Health Science Center

Program Applied – a dual program
AUD / Phd in Communication Sciences and Disorders

will take 4+2 = 6years to complete
Funding provided and a half time TA during the first semester and based on my performance they will give full time TA

Cons- they don’t have good research going.

4.University of Tennessee- Knoxville

Admission Accepted – no funding for this year
They also have a phd program along with a clinical certification

6.University of Illinois – Urbana –Champaign

Admission accepted- no details about funding

7. East Tennessee State University

Admission Accepted – they might give graduate assistant ship
Cons- they don’t have any option of doing PHD, ony aud program

Admission accepted for AUD prorgam but no funding

Indiana University – Bloomington

University of South Florida, Tampa

Members don't see this ad :)
A few questions for you, since the info you've provided is a little confusing: What exactly do you want to study? You posted this in the Speech Pathology forum - do you already have you Master's in Speech Pathology?

Are you interested in Speech or Hearing? I'm guessing you are interested in both clinical work and research focused on hearing, since you've been accepted to so many Au.D programs. If so, it's sounds like Texas Tech is what you want.

Witchita State also sounds like a good option, but do you know what type of clinical certification you would be receiving? Speech language pathology or audiology? 1.5 years sounds like a very short time to fit in all the required client contact hours in order to obtain clinical certification in either field.

I think you should probably decide whether or not u want to do the PhD program before you make your decision. Choosing this as a backup should not be the only reason because this makes your overall program far more challenging and it is difficult predict exactly the length of time the PhD will take. Oftentimes PhD students find themselves adding on another semester or two compared to their original plan.

What field of study was your 2.5 year masters in?

i have my msters in biology and i am sure that i wanted to do PHd .I wanted to take a clinical certification of audiology along with my Phd.i just wanted to know which school is better for this option.

Wichita state university or texas tech University?

I know university of arizona is a pretty good school but its kind of difficult for me since i dont have complete funding.

If you're comparing Wichita State and Texas Tech, I would go Texas Tech. I am not comfortable posting my reasons but if you private message me, I would explain further. Why do you think Texas Tech does not have any active research ongoing?

If you're comparing Wichita State and Texas Tech, I would go Texas Tech. I am not comfortable posting my reasons but if you private message me, I would explain further. Why do you think Texas Tech does not have any active research ongoing?

how do i send private message. I am sorry , i am a new user in the forum..the reason why i thought wichita ste was better is beacuse they told me that i can finsh my phd in 3 years and 2 years of aud certification.i thought it was a great.Thank you somuch for the advise...
also i tried speaking with one of the faculty and they told me wichita is reknown in this field than texas tech...can let me know pls- my email id- [email protected].

It is generally not advised that you post your e-mail address on forums. This is because spam bots are programmed to search said forums and obtain those addresses for spamming purposes. Just a thought.