Quantcast

Can you make it through if you're not a "Science/Math" jock?

USF TCOP - Virtual Information Sessions
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amr123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my undergrad in 1993. I never had any interest in math and science, but could do well in the required classes like bio & pre-calc when I did the homework and studied. I have always been a verbal/language person. But, times and people change :p :p , and now for many reasons, I really want to pursue pharmacy.

It's been a long time since I've been in school, and I'm not sure I will have what it takes when it comes to upper level science coursework. I'd say I am above average in intelligence, but no genius, and like I said, my strengths have always been more in the humanities-type studies.

Also, I have 3 kids, which means less time to study. I am afraid that when I get to the more advanced courses, I might run into a mental roadblock where I just don't have the natural aptitude to "get it" and am not going to be able to "get it", no matter how hard I try.

So, what do you think? Is "if there's a will, there's a way", hard work and pretty good "general smarts" enough?

Thanks for your perspective!....

TrojanAnteater

Fight On
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my undergrad in 1993. I never had any interest in math and science, but could do well in the required classes like bio & pre-calc when I did the homework and studied. I have always been a verbal/language person. But, times and people change :p :p , and now for many reasons, I really want to pursue pharmacy.

It's been a long time since I've been in school, and I'm not sure I will have what it takes when it comes to upper level science coursework. I'd say I am above average in intelligence, but no genius, and like I said, my strengths have always been more in the humanities-type studies.

Also, I have 3 kids, which means less time to study. I am afraid that when I get to the more advanced courses, I might run into a mental roadblock where "I just don't get it" and am not going to be able to "get it", no matter how hard I try.

So, what do you think? Is "if there's a will there's a way" and hard work enough?

Thanks for your perspective!....

You're not going to be able to "will" your way through 3 years of rigorous science if you don't REALLY like it more than everything else.

Poland

As strong as me
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, I would not discount your abililty to succeed just because you're not the "type." English was my best subject before college and for a long time I thought about psychology and social work as a career.

This is the reality of it, though... I have a hard road cut out for myself if I stick with this. I am in Pre-Pharmacy coursework and of course finding the humanities much easier than the Math and Science. I get stressed out that it doesn't come naturally to me. It's tough to look at real coursework and feel clueless on some nights. Especially when it's lower-level coursework. If I had children I can only imagine it becoming much more complicated.

I will say though that I am a certified technician and I truly enjoy my job. I enjoy doing 300+ scripts a day and answering phone calls and putting up medicine. I feel right with what I am doing at work. In that case I must at least give the field of pharmacy the consideration it deserves from me. You'll have to evaluate this and decide from there. For instance, if you've worked as a technician then you may either feel confident that it's for you or you're constantly ticked at customers and ready to leave. If you haven't worked as a technician then I wouldn't proceed into Pre-Pharmacy coursework without having that experience. In the long run, you can of course be surprised by what a person can do. There are stranger things than pursuing pharmacy without particularly enjoying every Algebra and Biology class.

UN4GETTABLE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, here are my 22 cents....I am gifted in humanities and social science, and this includes english, writing and all other forms of communication. I graduated magna cum laude with a public relations degree. I have 2 young children, ages 2 and 4. I am married, however, my spouse is serving our country in Iraq. Math and/or science DOES NOT come naturally for me. I do not believe that you have to have ANY interest in the subject AT ALL in order to be successful in it. I have been playing the single-parent role since the beginning of my pre reqs and I have been able to hold down a 4.0. It has been challenging, but this is something that I want and I am DETERMINED to get it. There have been MANY late nights and early mornings, but if this is what you want go for it! Don't let the fact that math and science are not natural to you or the fact that you have children discourage you. The plain and simple fact is that not EVERY single practicing pharmacist is good at math and science. Probably more are NOT math/science jocks, and they made it through.

And just because I like to talk...the last science and math classes that I had taken prior to my pre reqs were in high school - about 12 years ago. So yes, if there is a will, then there is a way! That is not to say that there won't be times when you just don't get it, because there will be. But you can work through that as well, even with limited math/science exposure. There is nothing special about me and I am doing it, so I am sure that you can too!

[email protected]

druggist_2_be
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, here are my 22 cents....I am gifted in humanities and social science, and this includes english, writing and all other forms of communication. I graduated magna cum laude with a public relations degree. I have 2 young children, ages 2 and 4. I am married, however, my spouse is serving our country in Iraq. Math and/or science DOES NOT come naturally for me. I do not believe that you have to have ANY interest in the subject AT ALL in order to be successful in it. I have been playing the single-parent role since the beginning of my pre reqs and I have been able to hold down a 4.0. It has been challenging, but this is something that I want and I am DETERMINED to get it. There have been MANY late nights and early mornings, but if this is what you want go for it! Don't let the fact that math and science are not natural to you or the fact that you have children discourage you. The plain and simple fact is that not EVERY single practicing pharmacist is good at math and science. Probably more are NOT math/science jocks, and they made it through.

And just because I like to talk...the last science and math classes that I had taken prior to my pre reqs were in high school - about 12 years ago. So yes, if there is a will, then there is a way! That is not to say that there won't be times when you just don't get it, because there will be. But you can work through that as well, even with limited math/science exposure. There is nothing special about me and I am doing it, so I am sure that you can too!

Well said. I agree

acetyl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree, if you really want it I think most above average people can do it, as long as you work hard enough. I think some pre-req course work might be difficult because people tend to not do things as well if they don't like them. Also, the sections on the PCAT that I've heard pharmacy schools look at the most are the bio/chem/math ones and you tend to need to be good at science and math to do well on those sections. But I feel you are the type of person who gets driven when someone says you can't do something. So let me just say it, you verbal people can't hang!
:)

Plowi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heh, you definately dont need to like science to get through. Just put more time into it than you would for the "easier" subjects.

Time and practice compensates for a lack of interest. Talk to your professors in their office hours if you dont understand something about it. Thatll also set you up for the LOR asking if you know them from office hours.

Or you could just force yourself to like it, lets face it dude, you are essentially learning about life when you study biology and chemistry.

Goodluck friend, I really hope you go for it and prove all these nay-sayers wrong.

PharmMnM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question: I love biology but hate chemistry and i semi-hate ochem. Will I do well in pharmacy school or are there a bunch of chemistry in pharm school?

ilovepharm

:sulindac is super cool:
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question: I love biology but hate chemistry and i semi-hate ochem. Will I do well in pharmacy school or are there a bunch of chemistry in pharm school?

i feel the sammme exact way. ochem. ew! :sleep:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think there IS quite a bit of chem and biochem in pharm school though.

Reclusive

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another $.02 reply. I am not a big math/science person either and I am in my 2nd year of prerequisites (previous degree was in Business/Marketing). I am pretty much in agreement with the other replies. Personally speaking I do have my WTF moments especially in Bio/Chem labs, but I understand that I need to work harder than other individuals. Sometimes that means a lot harder, but I do get some sense of satisfaction with the results.
In summary hang in there, you are not alone in this journey of sorts.