Can you practice while in a non-ACGME accredited fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaqmamba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. If I'm starting a non-ACGME fellowship this year but want to practice (ie Telehealth, locums, moonlighting, or house calls), what is the general path to doing this? I assume I would need some sort of malpractice insurance, but curious if anyone can lead me to someplace I can get info. Given that the fellowship isn't ACGME accredited, I can't imagine I would be violating any rules though obviously I would check with my fellowship (doubt they would care).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is what the kids call moonlighting. If your contract with your program allows it, go nuts.

The presence or absence of ACGME accreditation is meaningless, other than as it relates to duty hours.

There are a number of threads around talking about what a s***show the telehealth game has become so caveat emptor on that one. Depending on your primary specialty, and the market you're in, you may have many (or no) options available to you.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for the reply. Would this have to be explicitly mentioned in the fellowship contract I signed? Maybe then I don't even need clarification with the director.

As for the Telehealth issue - I'll search for some info, otherwise can you link me to a few relevant threads?

Thanks for the reply. Would this have to be explicitly mentioned in the fellowship contract I signed? Maybe then I don't even need clarification with the director.
It should be spelled out. If it's not, you should ask.
As for the Telehealth issue - I'll search for some info, otherwise can you link me to a few relevant threads?
There's an active one in the EM forum right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Title says it all. If I'm starting a non-ACGME fellowship this year but want to practice (ie Telehealth, locums, moonlighting, or house calls), what is the general path to doing this? I assume I would need some sort of malpractice insurance, but curious if anyone can lead me to someplace I can get info. Given that the fellowship isn't ACGME accredited, I can't imagine I would be violating any rules though obviously I would check with my fellowship (doubt they would care).

Thanks.

Obviously GutOnc is correct. I think what you're asking is if you're doing (for example) transplant hepatology/cardiac imaging as a 1 year fellowship to bridge a gap while accumulating for research for a competitive fellowship if you're able to do unsupervised clinical work. The answer is it depends. First off, you will need a full medical license (completion of intern year, completion of Step 3, and the application takes a few weeks to process). After this, you can then look for general practitioner/moonlighting positions.

If you're looking to apply to an ACGME fellowship, I would first prioritize building your CV.