Can you pursue a masters or PhD without a bachelors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

starryradiowaves

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was (luckily) admitted to vet school despite not having a bachelors degree. I do want to pursue residency but I’m not sure if I would qualify for residencies that are combined with a Masters/Phd program. I don’t know how common of a situation this is and was wondering if anyone had insight on this!
 
I started vet school without a bachelors degree but my school had a program where they awarded us bachelors degrees in animal science (ansi was my undergrad major I completed three years of) after completing first year of vet school…does your school possibly have something similar?

Not the same but related…I didn’t take the GRE when I got into vet school many years ago (back when all vet schools required it, it was a long story but I wasn’t required to take it because I was part of an early acceptance program) and I had to “go back” and take the GRE when I was on clinics applying to residencies because a few programs required scores for admittance to their graduate college. I ended up doing a residency without graduate degrees though.
 
My undergrad program allowed me to finish my bachelors while being in first year ver school as I took summer classes and then they took some vet school classes ( I was an sci and journalism). Unfortunately I never finished my dual degree but they let me finish my an scie allowing me to get a PhD after vet school. Just putting it out there in case your undergrad would be willing to do this too?

I think most grad programs require a bachelors but some or all may take the higher degree(DVM) in lieu. I think you’d probably be ok while doing clinical grad programs but not sure about any basic science grad programs? Not sure- maybe reach out to your undergrad and vet school and see what they say?