Can you work at 2 retail pharmacies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkdog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

One of my classmates currently works for Walgreens Pharmacy and she just got an internship at Acme Savon for the summer. Is this allowed? I thought you could only work at 1 retail pharmacy, since it would be seen as competition? Or is this allowed because it is only a summer internship and therefore will definitely end in the summer?

Thanks,

pinkdog

Members don't see this ad.

Its allowed, just don't let each of the companies know about it...

Members don't see this ad :)
i've been wondering this question myself

i guessing it not in law but rather company policy

Hey guys,

One of my classmates currently works for Walgreens Pharmacy and she just got an internship at Acme Savon for the summer. Is this allowed? I thought you could only work at 1 retail pharmacy, since it would be seen as competition? Or is this allowed because it is only a summer internship and therefore will definitely end in the summer?

Thanks,

pinkdog

No, It's against the law, you could be arrested and serve some time. So don't.

It would depend on your employers policy. An internship is usually unpaid and if it is related to school, your employer can have no issue.

why would you want to?

work in a hospital!:D

Hey guys,

Thanks,

pinkdog

I was planning on doing this myself next summer. Does anyone know anymore about whether this would be possible or be frowned upon?

its usually at the discretion of ur district manager. I work for CVS and I know one guys who works for pathmark too and they're fine with it. But i know this other Rph that was working at CVS and he applied to the state board to start his own independent pharm and they fired hime for conflict of interest.

It really is up to the company you primarily work for. Some companies may have a no-compete agreement that would prevent you. If your manager is okay with it, and there is nothing in your contract to preclude it, then you may. Just be sure not to share any proprietary information :)

Haha, I've actually always wondered this, too. For example (and I'm sure I already know the answer to this), could a staff pharmacist work a job at CVS and then walk across the street to work a shift at Walgreen's?

I don't see how this is an issue. Don't tell anyone that you're working for both companies and you'll be fine.

They will find out eventually....I have learned that pharmacy is not that small.

I have it worked out where I am going to do part-time retail and part-time hospital.

Major chains WILL NOT want you to work at competing stores... ex. CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid... but some locations are OK with a Pharmacist having a second job at an independent pharmacy.

No matter what you should not keep it quiet… you could possibly get in trouble and/or have to make some hard decisions like quitting one or the other. A Pharmacist I worked with worked at 2 places for over 10 years before anything happened but eventually they found out and she was forced to quit one of the jobs, this was very hard for her because she was very attached to both jobs. If you make sure the locations are ok with it to begin with then you won’t be put in a difficult situation.

i currently have 3 retail jobs.. one full time 2 part time... it can be done. keep it on the low down

If they are in two different cities, I wonder if it's okay. I just got a job offer at Walgreens in this one city but I am currently working at CVS in another city. I don't have the heart to quit CVS cuz I like it but I want to work at Walgreens since it is closer to home.

And are you working at all Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens all at the same time?