Can you work for CVS and Costco at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CYP_3A4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working for CVS, but I am not getting enough hours. They promised me 30 per week, but I'm not even getting that much.

I sort of socially know the Costco manager. He said he's full, but he needs occasional help and says the staffing agencies are worthless. He said he could hire me to fill in for sick days or vacations.

Is it okay to work for CVS and CostCo at the same time? They aren't really in direct competition since Costco is a warehouse club that requires a paid membership.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working for CVS, but I am not getting enough hours. They promised me 30 per week, but I'm not even getting that much.

I sort of socially know the Costco manager. He said he's full, but he needs occasional help and says the staffing agencies are worthless. He said he could hire me to fill in for sick days or vacations.

Is it okay to work for CVS and CostCo at the same time? They aren't really in direct competition since Costco is a warehouse club that requires a paid membership.
You can be fired for it (outside of California), so I wouldn't mention it to anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would do it so you get in the door with Costco..... Just don't get caught

Reactions: 1 users
There was a middle aged pharmacist I used to work with that secretly worked part time at Costco. Then he up and left for them one day when a FT offer came his way. He managed to not get caught.

Reactions: 1 user
There was a middle aged pharmacist I used to work with that secretly worked part time at Costco. Then he up and left for them one day when a FT offer came his way. He managed to not get caught.

This what I would do. CVS offers you employment at 30 hours, doesn't keep that offer. Who the hell cares what CVS wants.

Reactions: 1 users
Just do it and not tell anyone...don't even care what CVS thinks...they don't even think about you.

I'm in California. So they can't enforce a non-compete rule here???
Yes. But, while you can’t be fired for that reason, you can be fired for no reason. You should be prepared to litigate to come out ahead if you are fired for no reason.

FYI, legally (at least in my state, probably many others), the paid membership can not be required to use the pharmacy, so if non-members want to use Costco solely for the pharmacy, Costco legally has to let them. So, yes, they are (at least technically) in direct competition with CVS.)

As others have said, you could be fired if caught, for violating the non-compete clause (which I would think Costco also has....although the manger is apparently willing to ignore it for you.) Up to you, if you think the benefits are more than the risks....personally, I wouldn't risk the steady 20hr/week job for a PRN job.

Don't tell CVS. And hope your Dm isn't one of those that wander in to all the local pharmacies to check out the competition. They will fire you if you get caught.

Don't tell CVS. And hope your Dm isn't one of those that wander in to all the local pharmacies to check out the competition. They will fire you if you get caught.

Just wear a fake mustache when you're working at Costco. Problem solved.

Reactions: 2 users
FYI, legally (at least in my state, probably many others), the paid membership can not be required to use the pharmacy, so if non-members want to use Costco solely for the pharmacy, Costco legally has to let them. So, yes, they are (at least technically) in direct competition with CVS.)

As others have said, you could be fired if caught, for violating the non-compete clause (which I would think Costco also has....although the manger is apparently willing to ignore it for you.) Up to you, if you think the benefits are more than the risks....personally, I wouldn't risk the steady 20hr/week job for a PRN job.
Costco doesn’t have a non-compete because all (non-PIC) RPhs in most markets are per diem. CVS has a non-compete, but not in California. So in the case of OP, it should be fine to work for both.

I'm in CA. Know at least 3 ppl gone because working 2 jobs for per diem indies & per diem kaiser outpatient. Employment is at will. They really don't need a just reason to lay you off.

Last edited: