(Canada) What are my chances? A long-term battle plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanerdros

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm just finishing up my first year. I would like some opinions on how my master plan here stacks up. here's how it currently stands:

Background:
I am Canadian, applying to Canada, caucasian, enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. This has pros and cons:
Pros: Lots of clinical experience, significant patient connections
Cons: I now have to teach myself EVERYTHING that isn't biology on the MCAT

GPA: My first year GPA is removed from the medical school I plan on applying to, so it does not matter. I reason that, with a lot of hard work, I can pull of a 3.9/40
MCAT: I am unsure. This hinges on how much I am able to teach myself. I reason that a conservative estimate is 511-513 given my track record. I am particularly strong in CARS and anything biology-related. I would likely struggle in physics more than any other subject but am willing to put in a lot of effort. I will be taking the MCAT the first month of the last semester of my undergraduate degree.

Leadership: I'm going all-in on one thing for my leadership: My schools' nursing undergraduate association. In the latter bit of my first year, I served briefly as VP student life, so I helped organize events and connect with students. This year, I was elected as VP finance, meaning I will run the finances of the organization, collaborate on what needs to get done, and host fundraisers. Next year, I plan on running for President or VP academic, where I will be the representative with the actual faculty on academic matters the students are concerned of. I see this as something I can reasonably attain.

Shadowing: I will have 150-200 hours of shadowing with general practitioners and radiologists, discounting my shadowing of my personal family physician.

Work experience: In the year off before university, I worked as a hospital clerk in various positions in Diagnostic imaging. I still have this job on a casual basis and often work full-time during the summers. I expect about 2500-3000 hours by the time I apply. I am confident in my ability to get a very strong LOR from my manager.

Volunteerism: I will complete 150 clinical hours and 150 non-clinical volunteering hours by the time applications roll around.

Research: None :( not really any opportunities here, sadly.

Personals: In my spare time, I:
-Run every day, and plan on running several marathons
-Play my instrument a lot (kalimba)
-Write spoken word poetry and perform at a community cafe
-Nothing else significant.

Overall, how competitive do you think this is? Is there anything that would change? Do I need to grind the MCAT a lot more? Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, so I'm just finishing up my first year. I would like some opinions on how my master plan here stacks up. here's how it currently stands:

Background:
I am Canadian, applying to Canada, caucasian, enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. This has pros and cons:
Pros: Lots of clinical experience, significant patient connections
Cons: I now have to teach myself EVERYTHING that isn't biology on the MCAT

GPA: My first year GPA is removed from the medical school I plan on applying to, so it does not matter. I reason that, with a lot of hard work, I can pull of a 3.9/40
MCAT: I am unsure. This hinges on how much I am able to teach myself. I reason that a conservative estimate is 511-513 given my track record. I am particularly strong in CARS and anything biology-related. I would likely struggle in physics more than any other subject but am willing to put in a lot of effort. I will be taking the MCAT the first month of the last semester of my undergraduate degree.

Leadership: I'm going all-in on one thing for my leadership: My schools' nursing undergraduate association. In the latter bit of my first year, I served briefly as VP student life, so I helped organize events and connect with students. This year, I was elected as VP finance, meaning I will run the finances of the organization, collaborate on what needs to get done, and host fundraisers. Next year, I plan on running for President or VP academic, where I will be the representative with the actual faculty on academic matters the students are concerned of. I see this as something I can reasonably attain.

Shadowing: I will have 150-200 hours of shadowing with general practitioners and radiologists, discounting my shadowing of my personal family physician.

Work experience: In the year off before university, I worked as a hospital clerk in various positions in Diagnostic imaging. I still have this job on a casual basis and often work full-time during the summers. I expect about 2500-3000 hours by the time I apply. I am confident in my ability to get a very strong LOR from my manager.

Volunteerism: I will complete 150 clinical hours and 150 non-clinical volunteering hours by the time applications roll around.

Research: None :( not really any opportunities here, sadly.

Personals: In my spare time, I:
-Run every day, and plan on running several marathons
-Play my instrument a lot (kalimba)
-Write spoken word poetry and perform at a community cafe
-Nothing else significant.

Overall, how competitive do you think this is? Is there anything that would change? Do I need to grind the MCAT a lot more? Thank you for your time.

Why are you choosing a nursing degree though? I don't know if Canadian med schools are THAT flexible when it comes to majors.

Why are you choosing a nursing degree though? I don't know if Canadian med schools are THAT flexible when it comes to majors.
They are infinitely flexible. Canadian medical schools do not care. You could take a bachelor in agriculture, fine arts, or music. It doesn't matter to them. If you do well on the MCAT you have proved that you have the level of knowledge needed. They don't care so much so that the adcom doesn't actually even get to see your bachelor's. I'm taking a BScN because I like the clinical aspect and because the way it is set up works well for my life. Surprising, I know, but that's how it is, and it makes sense. If you're badass enough to self-study for the MCAT as well as your degree, they like you. So they don't care. With that in mind, how would you evaluate this?

Last edited:
They are infinitely flexible. Canadian medical schools do not care. You could take a bachelor in agriculture, fine arts, or music. It doesn't matter to them. If you do well on the MCAT you have proved that you have the level of knowledge needed. They don't care so much so that the adcom doesn't actually even get to see your bachelor's. I'm taking a BScN because I like the clinical aspect and because the way it is set up works well for my life. Surprising, I know, but that's how it is, and it makes sense. If you're badass enough to self-study for the MCAT as well as your degree, they like you. So they don't care. With that in mind, how would you evaluate this?
Okay... if that's the case, you need to establish a network with current students in the schools on your wishlist. I don't know if they post here on SDN or a similar Canadian network, but you should read up on the Canadian Federation of Medical Students and find some officers to connect with. Your task is to find a mentor who has gone through the admissions process with your degree to give you advice. Bonus points of course if you find someone who graduated from your college/university who attends or attended medical school.

Here's a directory to help you, but look through any other relevant links: Canadian Federation of Medical Students

Okay... if that's the case, you need to establish a network with current students in the schools on your wishlist. I don't know if they post here on SDN or a similar Canadian network, but you should read up on the Canadian Federation of Medical Students and find some officers to connect with. Your task is to find a mentor who has gone through the admissions process with your degree to give you advice. Bonus points of course if you find someone who graduated from your college/university who attends or attended medical school.

Here's a directory to help you, but look through any other relevant links: Canadian Federation of Medical Students
Thank you, I will take a look.

I would highly recommend posting this on premed101. It's a website like this one, but for Canadian med schools. They would probably be the best people to give advice.

Reactions: 1 user