Canadian, an

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsreal86

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a Canadian med hopeful who is wondering whether a couple of decision may have killed their chances of medical school.
Stats
GPA AMCAS: 3.95
MCAT: 512 (124/130/127/131) (Usually got 127-128 on practice, did not expect such a low Chem/Phys score) (Will redo this summer)

Research: Very weak, volunteering in a lab for ~2.5 years but very little actual research was done and no pubs. Did a semester of supervised study and intense lab work, but not much outside of that semester.

Volunteer: ~80 hours Kids Help Phone Volunteer
~50 hours Chemistry Discussion Sessions (Extra help outside class, and Prof approved and supervised, but I essentially ran them)
~200 hours running Neurological Rehab Volunteer (Clinical)
~1.5 years running Member/Director of local Civic Engagement Committee
~1.5 years running Youth Mentor (Big Brother type thing)
~2 years Senior Associate at Pre-Med Club
~40 hours shadowing a Neurologist
~1000 hours of contributing to a local meeting (cannot say anything due to identity reasons but it's essentially a club kinda thing)

Awards: Entrance Scholarship
2x Scholarship Award (Given to only 3 students out of 2000 enrolled in Biology or Psychology Majors)
Nominated for Volunteer of the Year (National Award for Kids Help Phone volunteer)

Employment: Worked at an Amusement Park, Sales Person at a newspaper, currently working as a tutor (recently started) and also at a call centre part-time (recently started)

I have volunteered here and there many times, but those are not significant experiences as the ones listed. My problem is that my transcript reflects very badly of me as a student.
First Year: Made Physics Pass/Fail (ended with a 78 lol) but didn't want to do medicine at the time so thought it wouldn't hurt me (3.97 GPA)
Second Year: Have a research Pass/Fail course, no option to get a mark anyways but had 5 courses plus the research course (3.97 GPA)
Third Year: Nothing here (4.00 GPA)
Fourth Year: Here is where it gets bad. First Semester had one Pass/Fail course (only needed the credit, it was a history course), but second semester I took second part of physics, and did a late withdrawal (no effect on GPA). This is was a very uncharacteristic year for me as I had some personal struggles (fortunately I found exercise/diet control since and it has been giving my mental health a boost) but had only three courses plus a Late Withdrawal in the second semester (3.86 GPA)
Fifth Year: Just finishing up some courses. Took only english in first sem, and taking a second english in this sem plus a Pass/Fail course (again, just a credit needed to graduate, I took another interesting class but that got cancelled so I was forced to take this course which I had no interest in whatsoever). (Projected GPA (only two courses): 3.85 GPA)

I will apply to NOVA, Touro-NY, AZUCOM, LSUCOM, WesternU and NECOM. Is this a good school list?

So what do you guys think? Am I overthinking this? Do I have chances at DO schools and/or Low-Mid tier med schools that are Canadian Friendly? I know this was very long so thank you from the bottom of heart for reading. Any advice would be great! I will buy MSAR and will redo the MCAT for a better score. I might sound paranoid, but I didn't get an interview in Canada with a 130 CARS so I am very worried now. Thank You!

P.S. I will be doing Physics prereqs at another school (since mine won't let me take the first part due to Passing it without a mark, can only redo if failed), and will be completed by next April. Physics is a big weakness of mine, but I am ready to tackle it and get that 90!

P.P.S I have posted this in the What are my Chances forum but got almost no responses, so if any admins can weigh in on this or anyone with experience, I truly appreciate it! You guys have been an awesome help for many application related things, Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the title, it's supposed to say "Canadian, any chances in the US?"

I will just state that retaking a 512 MCAT is asking for trouble if you don't significantly improve. You might want to bump up your clinical hours as well

I believe KCU is Canada friendly as well but i would look into MD schools as well

Members don't see this ad :)
You should definitely apply to some MD schools. You have a great application! And apply to all of the DO schools that accept Canadians, such as KCUCOM.

UNECOM accepted few Canadian students this year.