Canadian Applicant ~ 3.99/521 ~ Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tandrone

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all! First time applying to the US, not really sure where to apply to but I have some constraints. I'm looking to apply to 3-4 schools and be competitive. Also looking for any general advice or thoughts on my stats.


Stats

Program: Pharmacology w/ CS minor
GPA: 3.99
MCAT: 521 (131/127/131/132)

Research: no publications, worked 1 yr in a pharmacology lab, currently working in a physiology lab but mostly doing coding
Clinical: limited, spent ~3 years volunteering at a hospital (ballpark around 50 hrs)
Shadow: limited, have literally only spent 1 afternoon following a radio oncologist
Non-clinical: retirement home (2 yrs), badminton coach (2 yrs), foreign language teacher (1 summer), other random small things
Work: at a company focused on public health and technology (3 yrs)

I realize that my main issue is my lack of clinical/non-clinical volunteering and exposure to health care. I've built my application for the past 3 years around my interest in CS and applying that to public health but when it comes to US schools, it seems like I'll be at a disadvantage. I'm definitely planning on doing more volunteering this year but I'm not sure if it'll cut it (or if I can even put it on my application..?)


Schools:

Rosalind Franklin
Dartmouth
George Washinton
Icahn
Oakland
SUNY
Stony Brook
Virginia
Vanderbilt
Wayne
West Virginia
Yale


One of the big constraints for me is the recommendation letters. Unfortunately, I did not know US schools put so much emphasis on faculty references, so I can really only say I could get 1 good science prof (maybe), and 1 generic letter. Another factor would be the proximity to Canada (north-east) and whether they accept Canadians.


I would really appreciate any input on my school choices or if I missed any good options that fit my requirements. Thanks!