canadian applicant - competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent233

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I would appreciate your opinion on whether you think i am competitive enough for this cycle.

Canadian DAT:
AA- 19
PA-18
RC- 21

GPA- 3.54Overall, 3.51Science

I have applied to 8 schools:
Upenn, upitt, boston, buffallo, llu, maryland, tufts, nyu
Should I be applying to more??

Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are borderline. It's hard to say whether you will be competitive enough. It appears that Canadian students who get in tend to have a slightly higher DAT scores compared to the American students. Your DAT scores are just average for the American students so you would be borderline.

I would apply to few more schools for sure and maybe retake the DAT to bump up your AA and PA section. If you are confident about getting a higher score on the second DAT, go for it, if not, pray for the good news.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,
I would appreciate your opinion on whether you think i am competitive enough for this cycle.

Canadian DAT:
AA- 19
PA-18
RC- 21

GPA- 3.54Overall, 3.51Science

I have applied to 8 schools:
Upenn, upitt, boston, buffallo, llu, maryland, tufts, nyu
Should I be applying to more??

Thanks in advance for any input.

yahhh, its pretty borderline..decent GPA, but your DATs are just average, maybe slightly below..and american schools actually take the DAT into account, unlike canadian schools where its pretty much just GPA. you stand a good chance at an interview atleast, maybe at NYU & Boston..and im assuming you have thorough dental experience/ECs and/or Research experience..i would definitely add more schools to be on the safe side

You should be in the average pool for candidates to US dental schools. I think schools like pitt, ub, NYU give interviews to a lot of canadian students. May I ask why didn't u take the american DATs as well?

**sigh**
thats so depressing..

i didnt bother writing the US DAT b/c
1. i didnt know US schools gave so much importance to the DAT (Canadian schools generally give most imp to GPA)

2. my GPA for candian schools is a 3.74. but in the conversion according to AADSAS its 3.5ish

i guess i shouldve looked more into it. now i think its too late to write the US DAT for this cycle.

Hey,
I'm also a Canadian applicant, but I applied during the 08 cycle to almost the exact same schools you did. From my experiance, and other canadian dental school applicants i went to school with, Boston U and NYU will probably give you an interview (I'm assuming you have solid extra-currics and personal statement and good references). Just get through that and you should be in. The main reason being because they're expensive and most people turn down those schools acceptances because they get into cheaper ones.

I know UPenn is Canadian friendly. Just apply early. I made the mistake of applying in late october, so the schools didn't get my stuff until mid-dec (acceptances start Dec 1st). Thus, my first interviews came in Feb =/...but, I should mention that I had a higher gpa and higher DAT scores.