2022 Gender-Race-Ethnicity-How competitive are we?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What appears to be noteworthy from the 2023-2024 ADEA Official Guide To Dental Schools, which has recently been released, is that women remain the majority in the 2022 entering class. While some in the community insist that dental school admission is competitive, when every other applicant is accepted, it can hardly be called competitive. There is no evidence to suggest that international applicants are at a major disadvantage. Note that the percentage of applicants and enrollees in the groups are virtually a mirror image of one another.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2023 SDN Gender-Race or Ethnicity (2).xlsx
    10.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What appears to be noteworthy from the 2023-2024 ADEA Official Guide To Dental Schools, which has recently been released is the women remain the majority in the 2022 entering class. While some in the community insist that dental school admission is competitive, when every other applicant is accepted, it can hardly be called competitive. There is no evidence to suggest that international applicants are at a major disadvantage. Note that the percentage of applicants and enrollees in the groups are virtually a mirror image of one another.
wow
nice!

What appears to be noteworthy from the 2023-2024 ADEA Official Guide To Dental Schools, which has recently been released is the women remain the majority in the 2022 entering class. While some in the community insist that dental school admission is competitive, when every other applicant is accepted, it can hardly be called competitive. There is no evidence to suggest that international applicants are at a major disadvantage. Note that the percentage of applicants and enrollees in the groups are virtually a mirror image of one another.
not to be argumentative, but 2.3 (intl) to 1.8 (all candidates) is 27.8% more difficult...

Members don't see this ad :)
not to be argumentative, but 2.3 (intl) to 1.8 (all candidates) is 27.8% more difficult...
It may be 27.8% more difficult, but it is hard to find a 0.5 of an applicant/enrollee. If the ratio was 3:1 or higher, there might make things more debatable. However....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Are there stats for the average gpa + dat of each category of people?

Doesn’t seem very equal with 900 ish more female enrollees than males

Are there stats for the average gpa + dat of each category of people?
ADEA and DS are having a hard enough time sharing basic information, let alone for each subgroups. Information on DAT distribution of scores is available for various ethnic groups on some ADA publications.
Doesn’t seem very equal with 900 ish more female enrollees than males
That would be an 830 difference. There is no claim of parity. Women represented 57.9 % of applicants and 56.5% of enrollees; men were at 42% of applicants and 43.4% of enrollees.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I am wondering if there is any data on Canadian international vs non-Canadian international?

It may be 27.8% more difficult, but it is hard to find a 0.5 of an applicant/enrollee. If the ratio was 3:1 or higher, there might make things more debatable. However....
if .5 isnt significant (one of the biggest gaps in the entire data set) then no difference (race/gender) is significant to your standards

you strike as the type of person to use misleading stats to push ur agendas
I looked directly at the stats and estimated how many more males than females. I have no agenda, I stated numbers. Is 830 more female enrollees than male considered equality?

I looked directly at the stats and estimated how many more males than females. I have no agenda, I stated numbers. Is 830 more female enrollees than male considered equality?
yes because theres more female applicants