MD Canadian Applicant Need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedMCATott2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I really need help generating a school list for American Universities.
I am a Canadian citizen planning on applying to the states for the 2017/2018 cycle

My GPA is 3.98
My MCAT is 516 130/126/129/131 (relatively low MCAT for Canadian applicant... should I rewrite?)
My ECs are as follows: 1 year of teaching assistant for a science course
2 years interviewing patients in a hospital setting
volunteering abroad in a medical setting
won a scholarship to go to a foreign country and work with the Ministry of Health
a bunch of awards/ scholarships for academic standing
volunteer as a peer support worker for sexual assault survivors and people with disabilities
2 years as a frosh week leader
1 year as a don
2 years organizing a charity fashion show
3 years of research in health policy
lots of student leadership / club experience within my university

3 first author conference presentations
1 publication (pending probably will be in review by the time I apply)

Members don't see this ad.

How many times have you taken the MCAT?
In any case, now is the time to stop!
There are 57 MD schools that consider internationals.
Buy the MSAR
Find the ones that have a median match for your MCAT and apply to all of them that matriculated more than 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
511 was my first score but I had 123 cars so i retook cause Im Canadian Cars is very important

1 year as a don
What is a "don"? I don't mean to be non-serious (I recognize that you're trying to get serious opinions), but I'm reading this as "mafia boss"...:cyclops:

Otherwise, your ECs look interesting - if you show what you gained from them/why you are passionate about them and that they're not just for a checklist.
I think, optimistically, your GPA could balance your MCAT depending on how the 123 -> 126 increase is regarded.

[edit] If you're from SW Ontario, your new CARS would make Western's hard cutoff.

nonamesleft A don is someone that lives in residence with first year students to ensure they abide by rules and have support their need in their transition to university.

Im not from SW Ontario :(

is my MCAT a huge deterrent... i really dont want my MCAT to hold me back :( should i consider re writing

nonamesleft A don is someone that lives in residence with first year students to ensure they abide by rules and have support their need in their transition to university.

is my MCAT a huge deterrent... i really dont want my MCAT to hold me back :( should i consider re writing
Your mcat is definitely fine, and so is your gpa. Get msar as gyngyn said, and pick from there and we can help you narrow your list down. Although I'd argue, you are a shoo in for most of them.

Reactions: 1 user

Since you're here asking about US schools, im assuming youre open to this option. I would not retake if I had your stats. I would apply (in addition to US schools) to Canadian schools without published hard cutoff scores.